PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
This thread is not helping my 'slow down and smoke what I have' plan for July! :) I really want a Castello -- I'd take almost any of them, but am really drawn to the Le Dune carved finish. Gorgeous!
Yes. I’m waiting on my second. If I didn’t pull the trigger I was gonna waste hours drooling over them. And as they say , “time is money.”

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I wouldn't count Castello among the industrial pipes. The annual production numbers and the lack of a real shape chart make it an artisan company, perhaps very developed, but not exactly a pipe industry like - for example - Peterson, Savinelli, Dunhill, Brebbia...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't count Castello among the industrial pipes. The annual production numbers and the lack of a real shape chart make it an artisan company, perhaps very developed, but not exactly a pipe industry like - for example - Peterson, Savinelli, Dunhill, Brebbia...
Likely due to being a newer company comparatively.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whatever they are, we are lucky to have them.
Thank Wally Frank. Without him promoting Castellos pipes, the company would've gone extinct in the late 1950s due to lack of popularity. Not a big fan of them myself though I do know they have a fair following.

Grumpy11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Vero Beach Florida, Secretary, MD
My opinion as an owner, don't buy by just looks. They have a large button and wide air hole, which some people don't like. I prefer these features in addition to what I consider high quality briar. Makes them a little different.
Make sure you read about them on Pipedia. com.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
They have a large button and wide air hole, which some people don't like
This applies to the recent Castellos; the older ones had the opposite problem, with the exit hole too narrow, so much so that not even the pipe cleaner could fit through.
If I remember correctly, there were some particularly thin pipe cleaners specifically for their stems.
I have a Carlo Scotti one in which I enlarged the stem hole with the drill. I can't stand that the pipe cleaner doesn't fit.

Last edited:

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
It’s kind of a chubby pot variation on shape 55 without the Hapsburg chin. It’s labeled as a KKKK. I find the Castello ratings way too confusing. This pipe isn’t very long, but has a nice beefy bowl and shank. The chamber is medium height but wide. I’ve been breaking it in which is proving difficult since it’s very humid here today. Also, when I went to knock out ash, the entire plug went with it. It happened twice ! I assume it’s because of the wide chamber diameter. I’m breaking it in with some Virginia flake.

The other really strange thing is how thick the stem is, and it has the infamous large Castello button. At first it felt weird, but my mouth is getting used to it. (Respect to the ladies, if you know what I mean.)

The draw is wide open and the stem draft hole is so wide I can clean it with a Q-tip which is nice, since I’m out of pipe cleaners. I’ll continue to report on smoking properties.