PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Honestly I try to like them but 90% of their shapes are just ugly as hell...I only own one Castello older oom paul which is beautifull comparing to their newer reshaped oom pauls..Great air flow wide open...Shape 55 is their ugliest shape ever!!The most beautifull is shape 63 and aristocratica finish but I can not find it in a shape I like..But enjoy them guys if you like them..
Yeah I used to think Castello made some of the ugliest pipes but then slowly they won me over. First with the 11 then the 63. I agree with you about the 55 but even now I can understand why people like it.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've had 3 or 4 over the years. One small bent billiard was the standout, but the stem wasn't bent well. It was a little wonky.

Stems aside, it's obvious they do superlative wood work.
For me, aesthetically, I don't care for many of their finishes and shapes. Also, they tend to float in to the "overpriced" range in my opinion. Obviously though, they have plenty of fans.

I still browse them when new ones are added to sites - they shouldn't be overlooked - especially estates.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Honestly I try to like them but 90% of their shapes are just ugly as hell...I only own one Castello older oom paul which is beautifull comparing to their newer reshaped oom pauls..Great air flow wide open...Shape 55 is their ugliest shape ever!!The most beautifull is shape 63 and aristocratica finish but I can not find it in a shape I like..But enjoy them guys if you like them..
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I agree with you about shape 55.... but someone must like them. Didn't I see one in a Salvador Dali painting? puffy

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." puffy
I would take Ser Jacopo all day long(specially the older ones)...the lines of their bent shapes, their high grades with silverwork,stem work etc.Also on a lot of Castellos you can see exposed sandpits even on 500$ +pipes.They do not even care to mask it up..All my 5 Ser Jacopos are piece of art...

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
I’ve been curious about Castello pipes because some people hold them in such high regard and rave about their smoking properties. I find many of the ones I see as aesthetic abominations. However, I do find their more classic/traditional shapes appealing. I suspect I would prefer ones from the ’60s over anything recent.
Yeah, I view Castello as the arsty/eccentric brother of Savinelli. They might do similar shapes in the Italian style but Savinelli is much more reserved and traditional where Castello will stray from conventional proportions.

Like you I prefer Savinellis but I’m starting to be drawn to Castellos even though I can't exactly articulate why.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Yeah, I view Castello as the arsty/eccentric brother of Savinelli. They might do similar shapes in the Italian style but Savinelli is much more reserved and traditional where Castello will stray from conventional proportions.

Like you I prefer Savinellis but I’m starting to be drawn to Castellos even though I can't exactly articulate why.
People are drawn to unknown,unexplored...Get one and see..😉

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have two Sea Rocks. Both purchased from Tobacchia Corti (site sponsor) for a great price. One is a Shape 19 which is my favorite and the other is stout Shape 55 Virgin “Sea Rock”. I had two smooth Castellos but I recently sold them because I rarely smoked them because I just prefer textured finishes.

But they are great pipes and smoke beautifully. Plus they stand by their work and if there is ever an issue, they will fix it. I had an issue with one of my pipes and made it right no questions asked.

Reactions: multitool

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.

Castellos and Savinellis are "brother" only because they come from the same country. I have quite a few of both brands and I can tell you this.... When smoking English blends the Castello wins hands down with much better taste. When smoking an aromatic a Savinelli with the balsa does a great job. puffy

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I have had three Costellos over the years, but have traded them all off. While I did enjoy the tactile feeling of the Sea Rock finish, I do not care for acrylic stems, they smoke wet for me and hurt my teeth Since I smoke mostly Virginia and VA/PER I never got a satisfying smoke from my Costellos. They seem to smoke very dry and removed the flavor from the smoke.

I smoke mostly English pipes, primarily Comoy and GBD, but have nearly probably 10 Chacom and nearly as many Danish pipes, several of which are Stanwell.

I can definitely understand why some people like Castillos, but for me they did not smoke as flavorfully as my other pipes.

Life's too short to smoke a pipe you don't enjoy, so those of you who love Costellos, smoke in great enjoyment!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I would take Ser Jacopo all day long(specially the older ones)...the lines of their bent shapes, their high grades with silverwork,stem work etc.Also on a lot of Castellos you can see exposed sandpits even on 500$ +pipes.They do not even care to mask it up..All my 5 Ser Jacopos are piece of art...
I’d take a sand pit over finding a fill in a Ser Jac.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman