PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow that stand and pipe go great together. Awesome setup! Where did you find that stand. That's pretty cool :col:
Repurposed phone stand.?

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Repurposed phone stand.?

Really cool setup my friend!

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
The other side of that is he probably isn’t going to review blends he doesn’t personally like.
This is true. As a retailer, it definitely doesn't do any good to give a negative review of a product that we sell. Aside from that, the reasons you never hear me review anything negatively are the same reasons I don't score the products that I "review."

This whole thing is so subjective and I find negative reviews to be unhelpful/relatively pointless (the same goes for giving things one might enjoy a high score vs. an even higher score). It's far more helpful to discuss what one is tasting, how the blend behaves during the smoke, and similarities to other blends. It's all about giving someone who hasn't tried a thing the context that might make the recommendation a useful one.

Very few pipe tobaccos on the market are objectively "low quality," but there are plenty that are not to my personal taste. I've smoked so few tragically bad pipe tobaccos in my life that I could easily count them on one hand, and I've smoked hundreds. If I'm not excited about a product, what could I really say that's helpful? It seems silly to declare that I didn't enjoy something when many others might, and I think that unless we're talking Pirate Kake and you tell me that you can't stand Latakia, my best recommendation is for each of us is to try as many blends as we can and to form our own opinions.

In the context of "reviewing" blends for Smokingpipes.com's blog, all I'm trying to do is to share information, give my opinion about things that excite me (I just don't have time to cover things I'm not interested in), and to let folks know that if they enjoy X blend, they should give Y blend a shot. That's why we call these videos "Tasting Notes" and not "Shane's Reviews" and why you hear me making the same points about a wide variety of closely-related products (speaking in general terms and using the well-known tobacco review vernacular/buzzwords, because most of us know what someone means when they say "earthy" or "tangy").

?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
This is true. As a retailer, it definitely doesn't do any good to give a negative review of a product that we sell. Aside from that, the reasons you never hear me review anything negatively are the same reasons I don't score the products that I "review."

This whole thing is so subjective and I find negative reviews to be unhelpful/relatively pointless (the same goes for giving things one might enjoy a high score vs. an even higher score). It's far more helpful to discuss what one is tasting, how the blend behaves during the smoke, and similarities to other blends. It's all about giving someone who hasn't tried a thing the context that might make the recommendation a useful one.

Very few pipe tobaccos on the market are objectively "low quality," but there are plenty that are not to my personal taste. I've smoked so few tragically bad pipe tobaccos in my life that I could easily count them on one hand, and I've smoked hundreds. If I'm not excited about a product, what could I really say that's helpful? It seems silly to declare that I didn't enjoy something when many others might, and I think that unless we're talking Pirate Kake and you tell me that you can't stand Latakia, my best recommendation is for each of us is to try as many blends as we can and to form our own opinions.

In the context of "reviewing" blends for Smokingpipes.com's blog, all I'm trying to do is to share information, give my opinion about things that excite me (I just don't have time to cover things I'm not interested in), and to let folks know that if they enjoy X blend, they should give Y blend a shot. That's why we call these videos "Tasting Notes" and not "Shane's Reviews" and why you hear me making the same points about a wide variety of closely-related products (speaking in general terms and using the well-known tobacco review vernacular/buzzwords, because most of us know what someone means when they say "earthy" or "tangy").

?
Well put. Thanks!

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

?
I always enjoy your videos - and they have frequently caused me to try blends I would never have considered before.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I have been smoking Folklore back to back with the last of a tin of McCrannies Red Ribbon, and I find that they have a lot of the same tastes. It is very similar, IMO. I really have been enjoying this one.
Wow that's high praise in my book. The few tins of Red Ribbon I've managed to scrape together have been some of the best baccy I've had yet.

What year was that last bit of RR that you're comparing? I assumed the different release years were slightly different.

robbie

Lurker
Feb 1, 2022
Scottish Borders
I am really impressed with Folklore. You can taste every component. The Carolina red tips and the clovelike kasturi are great together with the light kentucky depth. Every time I smoke this I taste something different. What a wonderfully complex delicious blend. So happy with my 16oz all jarred up. I wonder how many others got lucky with this here in the UK?

Reactions: Ebarber

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I am really impressed with Folklore. You can taste every component. The Carolina red tips and the clovelike kasturi are great together with the light kentucky depth. Every time I smoke this I taste something different. What a wonderfully complex delicious blend. So happy with my 16oz all jarred up. I wonder how many others got lucky with this here in the UK?
Do you find that the flavor lasts throughout, or does it drop out past midway?

Reactions: Ebarber