PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
@ cigarmaster, buyer did leave a negative review.
@ ashdigger, Kyle Black is a different guy from a few yrs ago that did a lot more damage. I was just putting the new guy on KB's friend list lol.....
@ lazar, I concur....

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Here's the listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2000-Pipe-Tobacco-Tin-Rare-Vintage-Collectible-/142713348651?hash=item213a60e22b%3Ag%3AevIAAOSwzGhan0~b&nma=true&si=ufDRVKr3yOF%252BwYZ1hn7GYbxW280%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Clearly intended to cheat, especially with the plastic lid on the tin. The "no defects" claim could be challenged, because having been opened is a defect.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Often, when you want something badly, you overlook what should be red flags. It's happens to everyone, it's called being human. Couple that with someone who is essentially an honest, good person who couldn't comprehend outright screwing people and you have the perfect storm for a scam. $160 is a relatively cheap lesson. The no integrity scumbag seller will get his, just a matter of time. Living life with no integrity is s huge penalty on its own.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Put a scratch inside and file the claim
Yeah, in a case like this it's totally justified to cheat the cheater!
Weird thing is, I've sold to a guy in Murfreesboro recently. No problems and he has a different member name, but I'll be wary if he bids on anything again.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sorry but no where does it say a sealed tin. All it says is " Tin and label show no defects." The person who won didn't even realize his price was being jacked up by a guy with only one transaction. That is a sure sign of a shill being used. If I see something like that on a pipe I am interested in, I walk away immediately.

The guy who ended up getting screwed isn't too bright if you ask me.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ cigarmaster, I look at it like Hoosierpipeguy,
"Often, when you want something badly, you overlook what should be red flags. It's happens to everyone, it's called being human. Couple that with someone who is essentially an honest, good person who couldn't comprehend outright screwing people and you have the perfect storm for a scam. $160 is a relatively cheap lesson. The no integrity scumbag seller will get his, just a matter of time. Living life with no integrity is s huge penalty on its own."
Yes, it does not say anywhere, "sealed tin but being sold not for its contents, value in the tin" BS as is the typical disclaimer for ebay. There was nothing less to disclaimer about. Seller is still a turd though....

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Well, with all of the hysteria surrounding the end of MCClelland and the teeth gnashing and flat out buying/selling panic, this was bound to happen.
Is he sure the label didn't slip off a tin of Vienna Sausages and get sold "for collector value"?

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I actually messaged the seller, he is rather defensive and justifys not refunding the money stating the buyer was not "remotely tactful" in their communication. That the buyer has "serious buyers remorse". REALLY what a surprise the buyer is pissed off.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rx2man, what hoosier said is nice, but I don't feel sorry for someone who is willing to shell out 160.00 for a tin of tobacco and doesn't do their due diligence. The fact that the seller showed the paper inserts should have told the buyer the tin was not sealed. Anyone who does not look at the bidding history of an auction and cannot tell when a shill is working it, shouldn't be on ebay at all. This buyer is all over ebay placing 65 bids on 19 different auctions and he is bidding only on collectible tins.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ cigarmaster, yes due diligence and all that, buyer beware....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Living life with no integrity is s huge penalty on its own.
Well-taken. But I would add that such a person, although acting out continuously, feels that his life has been largely unjust and that his actions are justified, as everyone owes him, when in fact his actions show the reverse is true. The penalty that he pays is that much more reason to act out. Others accurately judge him, but as he can see himself no better than others, he hasn't guilt and is without reason to reform.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
saltedplug, I agree with your analogy. And that is exactly what makes it a shame. It's almost worse than consciously being a scumbag. It's similar to occasionally being unconsciously competent. So without any self realization, this punk has little chance to succeed or even have a happy life. He'll go through life being an entitled snowflake always blaming everyone else for his shortcomings.
Harris, I agree with your factual bluntness. It always takes two sides to make a scam work. Someone who is willing to pay $160 for a tin of tobacco is more open than most to being taken.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
In about the item it says “A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). Please see the seller's listing for full list of details“

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ uperepik you found a different listing below is the correct one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2000-Pipe-Tobacco-Tin-Rare-Vintage-Collectible/142713348651?hash=item213a60e22b:g:evIAAOSwzGhan0~b
On a positive note seller says he will refund minus ebay fees and postage. He says he actually bought the tin and thinks the buyer wanted something for free. I realize the old tins are worth money but I did not think anyone would buy these empty tins....I messaged rmpeeps so he cant get ahold of the buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.