PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
-jorgesoler
I usually can tell and individual's personality by how he treats his pipes. Sometimes I see people smoking in damaged pipes with burnt rims, partially broken, dirty, scratched, etc. These are individuals who will, for example, empty their pipes hitting the rim against a wall, light their pipes at an angle, stuff more tobacco in their bowls without emptying them properly, blow into their bowls to keep the tobacco burning, tamper with their clipper lighters or people that will smoke in the same pipe over and over again without letting it dry properly. I regard these practices as barbaric and proper of brutes and ignoramuses. He who treats his pipes in this manner should not be allowed to live in society. Of course I am only joking, but I'd rather steer well clear of such individuals as it is quite apparent to me they have nothing worthy to share. When I encounter people like that in life, I can only wonder how they treat their wives, offspring, pets, etc. This is wanton violence, whether against a human being or an inanimate object, and should not be tolerated. Of course, every individual has an inherent right to trea?t his inanimate objects how he pleases, but on the other hand, I have an inalienable right too not to mix with that kind of individuals and choose my own friends more wisely. The fact you smoke in a pipe does not necessarily mean you are going to be my friend for the sake of it. Please be mindful with the world around you and treat others how you'd like to be treated yourself.
I should flag this post for breaking rule #9, the complete lack of paragraphs is revolting and below the standards of this forum.

(I'm kidding of course... mostly)
I do understand where you're coming from, sometimes it seems like I can't even let anyone near my possessions without them breaking something. It's hard not to look down on people when it seems like only one in a million people actually cares about anything.

I have a feeling it's mostly a cultural difference though, some cultures place no value on posessions whatsoever, others are very meticulous. I can tell you that someone who treats their possessions well will save a lot of money in the long run, and that the meticulous person will probably have a better quality of life (less likely to be injured, or go hungry), but it shouldn't be taken as a sign of social standards. Many cultures have a low value of posessions because they have an incredibly high value of relationships.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If an entire culture, or group, is doing one thing, it is by definition, the social standard. Even if it is only the majority of the culture, what they are doing could be describe as the "norm" or the standard.
Sorry! I'm not a fan of hyperbole or horrible, nonsensical generalities.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I can just imagine the library of books you must have read simply by staring at the cover...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow, I thought this was a thread about anger over burning pipe's rim. How rude. 8O

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Wonton violence, burnt rims and all:
Burnt-wonton1.jpg

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Wonton violence, burnt rims and all
I quite agree. The person behind that... (well, I don't know what that is), does not seem to love cooking that much. This is how you end up with tummy ache, get sick, etc. Here, the person's malcontent is thereby passed onto you by means of their labour. I had a carpenter made me a table once, but he was so nasty as a person, I had to throw the table away: it was giving me headaches, back pain and what have you not.

Mar 1, 2014
If an entire culture, or group, is doing one thing, it is by definition, the social standard. Even if it is only the majority of the culture, what they are doing could be describe as the "norm" or the standard.
Sorry! I'm not a fan of hyperbole or horrible, nonsensical generalities.
Warren, you're going to have to enlighten me on the difference between the words "culture" and "social".
By my understanding culture is defined by whatever people do, as you assert, but the word "social" refers specifically to people interacting with each other. So having low social standards would mean placing a low value on your interactions with other people, and could either agree or disagree with the cultural norm.

Maybe there's another word that would fit better, but "social" seems good enough.

stan

Lurker
Aug 15, 2014
I like to stay clear of wankers like you jorgesoler. Bet a sad lonely little man like you dost even have a wife and kids.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
In praise of well loved, charred pipes:

I smoke my Dad's old pipes. Some are in very clean condition and show little use, but many are well used and have charred rims, discolored stems, general wear and tear as these were well loved pipes that saw regular use for years. I love theses pipes, and I love the way they look, just as I love a vintage guitar or saxophone with a worn-out finish and patina from years of honest playing. My Dad graduated from Villanova, became an officer in the U.S. Navy, went to graduate school at M.I.T., and had a successful career as an engineer and a businessman. He is a gourmet cook, and he knows history, Shakespeare, and the classics inside-and-out. He and his wife are regular patrons of the theatre and symphony. He is an accomplished ship modeler of the lever where all parts are made by hand in his workshop working from blueprints, taking years of daily work to finish a model. He gave up smoking for health reasons, but smoked and loved his pipes for most of his life. To judge his character from the rims of his pipes and being a slouch, slob, lowly, or careless would be a gross error. While most of what he does is perfect or close to it, he is not a perfectionist, nor is he type A, OCD, anal retentive, or overly concerned about the habits of others. He is a MYOB man: he minds his business and he minds it well. I love to smoke his well loved pipes, I feel connected to him when I do and I am reminded that he had good taste in pipes and life and he enjoyed these things. He did not sweat the small stuff.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Here's Einstein's pipe. He must have had other things on his mind.

http://www.smithsonianlegacies.si.edu/objectdescription.cfm?ID=268

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
In the name of all that is holy, could one of the mods please close this damn thread already! Jorgesoler has been put in his place and put through the ringer by most of the forum members on here. Lesson learned. For a (a couple now) new member(s) to come on here and take yet another shot(s) at the OP is getting ridiculous. Go back and read the thread before posting at least. Maybe it's just me, but i'm getting sick of this thread popping back up over and over for people to keep blasting this guy for something that has already been discussed to death and resolved.
Jorgeloler has apologized for his perceived insensitive comments. Let it go.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I now feel like I am everybody's favourite punching bag to take it all out on. I haven't insulted anyone, nor I am intended to do so despite all that I've come to swallow so far. To be perfectly honest, I haven't got any heart feelings for anyone in this forum (even the ones who have tried to hurt my feelings). I am aware of the fact I have been most undiplomatic and that I have put my foot in the mouth big time, but if we can't be more creative in discussing this issue, I'd rather close it myself or delete it for good and send it to oblivion. Because of this, I have been thinking about leaving this forum and all, which is something I might do if my popularity keeps dropping at current levels.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hey Jorge, sorry if you feel attacked by me like Layinpipe is implying. I was just responding to your post and issue raised. If I made you feel that way I apologize, and I am totally new here so what do I matter?

As far as my posting to the thread, Layinpipe, if you're sick of reading something why do you keep reading it? I wasn't blasting the character of the OP and saying anything about him, I was merely engaging the issue he raised.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Not you mate. I don't mind if people argue or challenge things, but insulting so blatantly is a different issue.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I've got a feeling that in the main there many codgers here (no offense, codger) who speak their minds and let things go. I am sure that we're all basically nice guys and would have fun puffin' away together at a Xmas party. Hope you all have a happy holiday season. Cheers!

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
In the name of all that is holy, could one of the mods please close this damn thread already!
+1000 layinpipe for being funny when you weren't trying to be. I for one enjoy seeing the Wanton being revived. It's like a daily friend stopping by for coffee. What's new today, I wonder?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
but insulting so blatantly is a different issue.

I agree completely. Stating that anyone that treats their pipes different then you is a bad person, lousy husband, and poor father is blatantly insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.