Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
The OP reminded me of the age old pipe saying by C.S. Lewis, "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." Point being, sometimes it's best to keep what you're thinking from leaving your howling screamer. Being judgmental of others for their differences is laughable in the world of pipe smokers. We are, after all, an outlier group in society as it is. I don't judge a man by the condition and treatment of his pipe, I judge him by what he does and says while smoking it. If the OP's post is a any indicator, i'll pass and have a bowl with someone else.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A little char on the rim gives a pipe character. I tend to overstuff the bowl, light in the wind, and knock my pipes around a bit. But I treasure each and every one, and I am up to 97 pipes. Everything from cobs to Grabows to a Dunhill. Been collecting for over 40 years. If a pipe is a reflection of the owner, than I too am a little rough around the edges, been burnt a few times, and have a few dents. Wouldn't trade my life for a pristine one any day.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I like the refinement of the old saying...... "Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in their shoes..... cause then you're a mile away and they have no shoes."

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I just want to make one thing clear. To have some char in your rim is perfectly fine. What I don´t understand though is a totally burnt rim (this is when you light up your pipe at an angle).

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have a pipe that has a dammaged rim and a small gouge on the lower part of the bowl. I still smoke it with care. The pipe was in my pocket the night I was hit by a drunk driver while I was riding to work. This is a house pipe I bought from Ford & Haig a B&M in 1984. The accident was in 1985, this pipe will never be repaired.
John

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"I have always found when I find myself in a hole, the smart thing to do is to stop digging. But, do carry on."
Agreed, FJ!
Stated differently, when one finds themself in quicksand...quit wigglin'!

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I just want to drop a few lines to say I don´t want to say anything else. Well, just one small thing: you can burn your pipe, hit it with a hammer, use it to scoop poo out out of your cat´s litter box, etc. These practices are perfectly fine and something that should be tolerated in society. Moreover, everybody should encourage it. Sorry about what I said at the very beginning of this post. I must have been high on illegal drugs or something, but I was only trying to err on the side of a caution. No pun intended.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Jorgesoler, this post was precious. We need more laughter and fun on this site. I am waiting for our government to chime in with the politically correct position....I know that they are monitoring this.
Richard

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This has been an interesting thread. Different people see different aspects in the hobby. For some, pipes are not only a means for enjoying tobacco, but also objects of aesthetic interest in and of themselves. For others, a pipe is nothing more than a tool for smoking tobacco. Both points of view are valid. For the "tool" set, there are a multitude of well made pipes that don't cost a lot of money and can be easily replaced when worn out and there are high grade machine made factory pipes for that extra touch of quality. For those who also see pipes as aesthetic objects there are a myriad of choices of artisanal pipes designed to provide a visual composition with the briar and which fulfill the makers' creative vision. And there are all point in between.
While what one does with ones own possessions is one's own business, I still form decisions based on observation. Buying a finely crafted artisan made pipe, one where the maker has put much thought and effort into the shaping, carving, and finishing to bring a visual harmony and visual delight to the eye, and then treating that pipe like none of that matters, informs me that the owner is insensitive to such considerations. Whether that insensitivity is due to the owner being ignorant, lazy, spoiled, infantile, arrogant, or simply clueless, requires more study. Of course, I have no opinions on the matter.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Hey Frankenstein! Didn't you send me a tin of McB Plumcake with a different username? The pic is the same but the name is changed...I smell a RAT! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.