PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
It seems appropriate, when you image search "Dr. Grabow factory," that (at least as of this writing) that Ed James is in the first returned picture.
While it was Kevin's unusually enthusiastic reviews and articles that initially drew me to this web site years ago, ejames and his excitement over Dr. Grabow pipes and his kind, gentlemanly ways were a major draw for me to lurk in this forum, and keep coming back. I've been missing him since he had to quit over health issues not long ago; this is heartbreaking news.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Dammit.
Saddened by the loss, doubly so by he circumstances of it.
You were a Royal Duke, Ed.
-- Pat

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
This shit's really creeping me the hell out.
Sorry ... I guess I don't have anywhere else to share that.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Burning is a hard way to go. Hope the smoke got him and he was unconscious for that whole shit show. This breaks my heart. Just breaks my heart.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
This is senseless, tragic and maddening.
http://m.kfvs12.com/kfvs12/db_345749/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=c11edTcY&pn=&ps=#display
I'm wanting to read between the lines but it's probably better to bury the dead first and then let the LEOs do what they do best.
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
A classic question but I will ask. Where the world is heading? I wish my grandpa was around so I can sit and listen to his WW2 stories, his fights, his youth, etc. I don't even find the right words to explain my feelings right now. This is so sad.

Jan 8, 2013
As Fnord said, it's senseless. Most of us here didn't know him on a face to face level. Most of us only knew him through his posts or an occasional chat. But this hits so close to home because he was one of us. He was one of the best of us. And that is why this is so sad to many of us. I believe not only the pipe community, but the world lost a good soul in Ejames. My thoughts and prayers are to his friends and loved ones, because if this hits us, it must hit them much much harder.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I did not know the full circumstances of Ed's passing and it is doubly saddening to read, such a terrible loss of a fine gentleman and family man.
Smoking a Morta with Cumberland stem with black palm accent with some Germains Medium Flake in memory of Ed A. James aka Ozark Southpaw the Pipemaker who made it for me. Rest In Peace Ed.

banjo
34279414734_e77cf7993d_z_d.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
This is a terrible tragedy. Ed was a fine fellow; I got a pipe stand from him years ago. Always enjoyed his posts. Condolences to his family.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've never met the guy, or even really talked to him on here much, but that is extremely sad. I have read many of his posts and I could tell he was a great guy, and I know he will be missed greatly. RIP friend.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
There is a paypal donation in Ed's name to send a flower arrangement and possibly a plaque in Ed's honor for the Dr Grabow factory. It's in Troy's account on The Grabow forum. He's a longtime member and I have complete trust he will use the funds accordingly.
If anyone would like to donate, please send donations here. Leave your name or forum name/ Ed James.
Troy_nov1965@yahoo.com

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've been haunting the SW Missouri papers and funeral homes for obituary information before I realized this is an active criminal investigation and I'm sure an autopsy will be required. (What an idiot.) Of course funeral plans are being delayed.
If you DG forum guys run across something please post up.
Ed sent me a handful of "sub-standard to him" pipe tampers several months ago to give to local pipe smokers. I've got one left and it's going into my grandfather's favorite ashtray alongside his favorite pipe and beat to hell Half&Half pipe tool.
Fnord

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The news footage shows a home with very few ventilation patterns and some blinds that are softened and sagging from heat. I can only hope the fire Marshall did a complete and systematic investigation and was able to rule out all other ignition sources and account for all fire patterns. Let's also hope her investigation accurately accounted for fire communication and effect. This is truly sad, but if the I's aren't dotted and the T's aren't crossed the prosecutors have an uphill task.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ash:
Thank you for weighing in with your professional assessment. I'd like to think the SW Missouri pros are as good as you and that they've done their job.
I do know the grandson was retrieved by his mother from the scene of the incident, arrested at his mother's house hours later, was caught up in a web of verbal missteps, and now is trying to get his 250K bond reduced.
A quarter million bucks is a lot of kale in South Central Missouri. I tapped into a Poplar Bluff community thread earlier this evening and the grandson is not highly regarded. Our friend died of smoke inhalation but it was also noted that he'd been hit on the head and that there was blood on his bed sheets. The grandson claimed that his grandfather was calling for help but the fire was so intense that all he could do was run off to the woods near the home. "I panicked. I didn't know what to do."
I'm so angry by everything I've read. This gentle man, who helped so many readers on this board with his knowledge and expertise, gave a turned out son/grandson a home in the hope of getting his life back together - and this is the result?
Again, I'm reading between the lines. The professionals need to kick this door shut.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.