PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
Just got done smoking my now-favorite pipe that is breaking in well. Half-hour in the park with a light breeze and it smoked almost all the way down. I puffed one draw per 5 seconds, roughly. It was not pushing it hard.
I have got a meershaum lined pipe that looks like a transparent ceramic material with clouds or something like that. Very pretty but after 40+ years I don't recall how well it smoked. I also have a meershaum that is almost totally black and with a cake. My Uncle Herb gave me that one. He was pretty good to me with the pipes and expensive tobaccos. I didn't appreciate it much at the time. Only smoked that one about 10 times, overall. Lkked the briars best.

senpai

Lurker
Nov 26, 2023
I've owned multiple pipes over the past 15 years and I have never experienced charring or damage to the pipe. I've also never used a coating, like honey. My experience has led me to believe that if someone managed to damage a new pipe, it's either ridiculous user error (smoking it hot multiple times a day, kicking it around the house, letting the dog chew on it, etc.), or the pipe had a flaw that did not get picked up in quality control.

The advice here is sound as far as my experience goes. Smoke it gentle the first few times. Allow the pipe to rest for 24 hours between smokes, don't aim to smoke every last bit of tobacco (i.e don't smoke it all the way down.

Typically, after the first 5 smokes, I don't even think about it and just puff away like I am smoking an old pipe.

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
Does anyone remember The Pipe? It is a black, fully carbon thing that looks like a pipe but has none of the attractiveness of briar, meerschaum or even corncob. I was stupid enough to buy one when I was 20 and, thankfully, my Uncle Herb saved me by gifting me some nice briars and a meerschaum. Good to have thoughtful relatives.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does anyone remember The Pipe? It is a black, fully carbon thing that looks like a pipe but has none of the attractiveness of briar, meerschaum or even corncob. I was stupid enough to buy one when I was 20 and, thankfully, my Uncle Herb saved me by gifting me some nice briars and a meerschaum. Good to have thoughtful relatives.
I sure do. I somehow lost it 50 years ago, thankfully. A pipe with zero chance of developing into a good smoker. A pipe with zero "personality".

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I have one around here somewhere.
Believe it or not, they are a cult favorite.
There are a lot of collectors of "The Pipe".
They are plastic pipes with a pyrolytic graphite liner which was a new space age thing back in the 1960s.
There are even a couple books written about "The Pipe" and "The Smoke" pipes. They continued to be made under the "Venturi" name for several years after.
Apparently they smoke pretty good.
I personally have never smoked mine.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country

Breaking in an Uncoated New Pipe​

For heaven's sake DO NOT give it to Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain to give to, "...a cheap man--a man who doesn't amount to much, anyhow--who would be as well--or better--dead, and let him break in the pipe for me." That purported statement was from a post in the thread "With Whom Would You Smoke?" and it has caused enough trouble already! :)

ThomasS

Can't Leave
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
I sure do. I somehow lost it 50 years ago, thankfully. A pipe with zero chance of developing into a good smoker. A pipe with zero "personality".

I got one in a lot of pipes at an antique store. It's ulgy as sin, but it's really not all that bad as far as function goes. I got far prettier but worse smoking pipes in the bunch.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
I have one around here somewhere.
Believe it or not, they are a cult favorite.
There are a lot of collectors of "The Pipe".
They are plastic pipes with a pyrolytic graphite liner which was a new space age thing back in the 1960s.
There are even a couple books written about "The Pipe" and "The Smoke" pipes. They continued to be made under the "Venturi" name for several years after.
Apparently they smoke pretty good.
I personally have never smoked mine.
I still have mine because I hate throwing things out. But may I say it was THE WORST pipe I ever had, including various Dr. Graybows.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
I just finished a bowl of Captain Black in my bent pipe. It started out well and smoked all the way down, though it seemed to be getting harsh at the bottom. A little tongue burn, but not awful. You all will think I'm an idiot because I puff away to keep the pipe going and I have noticed a slightly rounded edge on the rim where I first light it. But the pipe is, I think, doing well, even if it shows cake buildup creeping over the top of the bowl. I think I will try for a 1/8 inch cake like I had once 50 or so years ago on another pipe that seemed to smoke well. If I'm wrong, Ii can remove excess cake.
It only took about 30 minutes to smoke, so many of you will say I am going too fast.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How about a photo or two?

Please put your location in your Profile!
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
How about a photo or two?

Please put your location in your Profile!
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.
I could change the avatar image, but could not find the account info. Not very good with computers. I am in Bangor, Maine.

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
I must apologize. I baked a small batch of tobacco the other day, thinking it would be a good drying-out tactic. Tongue burn was the only thing it gave me.

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
I am getting a new virgin briar bent-stem bulldog probably Monday. I plan to try it with a full bowl of Captain Black but would like some suggestions. Is that tobacco likely to make problems for me breaking in the new pipe?
This is important for me because it is the first new pipe I have bought in about 20 years and I don't want to ruin it.