PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
One other tip: don't go nuts trying to burn every last bit of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl. You can char the draft hole that way. If the bowl seems to be almost done, and it's not taking a light, go ahead and dump it.
That is my problem. I am determined to smoke to the bottom but rarely am I able to do it. There always seems to be a small dottle of darkened tobacco that refuses to stay lit. As a result, there is no building of cake at the bottom third of the bowl. Exasperating. And my newest pipe, an L.J. Peretti, is small, only takes 15 minutes to get to that dottle, and appears to be resistant to breaking in.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
This is what an agressive lighter can do. Take it easy

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
I used a butane lighter maybe twice lighting a pipe recently. The flame is extremely hot, a fine blue tint, and just getting it near a finger resulted in a burn. Luckily, my reflexes are good and I avoided a painful result. The rim of the pipe got singed a bit, though. I now use wooden matches, which are safer for me and the pipe.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@JohnnyBeach Was that a soft flame butane or a torch cigar lighter?

Ive never damaged a rim with a soft butane flame...a multi torch lighter...that will burn them quick.

Careful with matches. A little slip with the ember on the match against the inside rim can make a burn spot.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
It was a torch style lighter insert for a Zippo. Definitely the hotter variety of flame. Matches can be a problem, too. We must recall our mothers telling us not to play with matches.

• Haha
Reactions: Sigmund

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
The bent pipe is doing well. I just smoked a pipeful of Half and Half. It took 30 minutes because the cake is building and there's less room in the bowl. I am trying to get to where I can use the eraser end of a No. 2 pencil to pack the pipe. So far, I can still get my pinky finger in there. The Cretin.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Careful with matches. A little slip with the ember on the match against the inside rim can make a burn spot.
Can confirm. I put a minor burn in one rim as the flame travelled up the match. Thankfully, I was able to sand it out without it being too noticeable. Regardless of the flame source, it's wise to hold it a little further away and draw the flame to the tobacco.

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
I smoked the straight stem pipe today with Captain Black and was happy there was little or no tongue burn. The pipe lasted 40 minutes but still little cake in the bottom 1/3. I'll continue the break-in effort. My bent-stem bulldog is breaking in very well and I am very happy with it. But the new Peretti bulldog is slow to break in and gives more tongue bite.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I just fill em and smoke em. I break all of my pipes in with no coating. I will remove coatings if applied to the bowl. I polish the inside of the bowl with 1000 then 4000 grit sandpaper. I wipe the bowl out after every smoke with a twisted paper towel and have never developed any cake to speak of.

Reactions: JohnnyBeach

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Id personally just smoke it at this point. I must admit I dont do a lot for breakin other than to take it easy on heat which you should always do. I always make it a point not to torture the bottom of a pipe with a lighter just to get those last few shreds. The dottle doesnt taste that good anyway.

JohnnyBeach

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2024
The bent stem pipe was great today. No tongue burn. I used a new butane pipe lighter and while it has a blue torch flame I was careful not to scorch the pipe. I have burn marks on one pair of pants and have customized a tee-shirt when the head of a mutch broke off and landed right on it. At least butane lighters don't do that.

Reactions: jpmcwjr