PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnnyBeach

Lurker
May 21, 2024
Just got done smoking my now-favorite pipe that is breaking in well. Half-hour in the park with a light breeze and it smoked almost all the way down. I puffed one draw per 5 seconds, roughly. It was not pushing it hard.
I have got a meershaum lined pipe that looks like a transparent ceramic material with clouds or something like that. Very pretty but after 40+ years I don't recall how well it smoked. I also have a meershaum that is almost totally black and with a cake. My Uncle Herb gave me that one. He was pretty good to me with the pipes and expensive tobaccos. I didn't appreciate it much at the time. Only smoked that one about 10 times, overall. Lkked the briars best.

senpai

Lurker
Nov 26, 2023
I've owned multiple pipes over the past 15 years and I have never experienced charring or damage to the pipe. I've also never used a coating, like honey. My experience has led me to believe that if someone managed to damage a new pipe, it's either ridiculous user error (smoking it hot multiple times a day, kicking it around the house, letting the dog chew on it, etc.), or the pipe had a flaw that did not get picked up in quality control.

The advice here is sound as far as my experience goes. Smoke it gentle the first few times. Allow the pipe to rest for 24 hours between smokes, don't aim to smoke every last bit of tobacco (i.e don't smoke it all the way down.

Typically, after the first 5 smokes, I don't even think about it and just puff away like I am smoking an old pipe.