PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Seconded on Benchmade. Great knives and a stellar warranty.
I have knowingly abused a few, doing things I knew were wrong, but had to be done. sent em in with a note to call me for so I can pay for the repair. In less than a week a brand new one is in my mailbox! From across the country. And they have never let me pay them!
Unbeatable service and product!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Brands are mostly corporately owned, and sold frequently. So no loyalty there. There are products that have worked well for me, have been reliable, taste great or are unique to my needs and desires:

Acme Smoked Fish. I love everything that they make. Whitefish salad forever!
5.11 TDU's. I wear them every day.
Canon cameras. Been a Canon user since 1993, when Nikon was floundering in the autofocus arena.
HP laptops, since 1995
Asus motherboards, since my first build...?
NEC monitors, although I'm about to go Eizo
Tripp-Lite power products
Synology RAID NAS
Joyva halvah
Woodford Reserve
Stihl chainsaws, although my Dolmar/Makita felling saw is fantastic, too.
Dillon reloading presses
Dynalite strobes...RIP
VW
Mount Olive pickles and relish.
My son gave me a pair of 5.11 Taclite 6" Coyote boots. He had a couple of pairs from his sheriff's dept. clothing allowance. Great boots, very comfortable...I wear them camping/hiking.

Reactions: woodsroad

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
A wee bit off topic but its something I think about whenever the ‘loyalty’ topic comes up… When we carry out a repeat/ongoing purchase of goods/services (& I do it too) are we actually showing ‘loyalty’ to a company/provider… or simply exercising our preference (regardless of who the supplier is)

For it to be loyalty wouldn’t there need to be an awareness of a better/cheaper alternative but despite this alternative we stick to the original knowing the lost advantage that’d be gained from switching?

I have a mate who went on about his TV provider not giving him a discount despite the loyalty he had shown them over the years but freely admitted that if there was an alternative he’d be off and switching like a rat up a drainpipe

For me my ‘loyalty’ is
Under Armour & adidas kit
My online pipe/tobacco retailer (even though I know shopping around would save me money)
carte noire for my Instant coffee

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
As has been pointed out here already, for me it’s not so much brand loyalty, but it’s that I find what works and stick with it. Examples:

Ernie Ball guitar strings
Sharpie pens
Dunkin Donuts coffee

If at any time I discover something that works better, especially if it costs less, I’ll make a change.

Having said that, all the while certain brand names do carry an image and do have a draw. Peterson Pipes is an example for me. When I started smoking pipes this name quickly made itself known to me, and with it came a certain mystique. And soon enough I wanted one. And when I finally got one it did not disappoint.

But the question is: Was the Peterson really that great, or had I just built it up in my mind, or was it both?

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I find that interesting. I like that Apple gives me the option to shut out all the apps and parasites who are tracking my every touch on a smartphone so that they can market me like so much meat. Digital privacy may be ephemeral and probably non existent, but given the screaming, threats, suits, and other bullshit Apple was threatened with by other internet powers, I figure they must have done something actually useful. Either that or it's all great and empty theater, like politics. I also like that iPhones don't explode.

Facebook would sell your children's organs to make a nickel.
For security reasons, my workplace won't even issue Android phones.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For it to be loyalty wouldn’t there need to be an awareness of a better/cheaper alternative but despite this alternative we stick to the original knowing the lost advantage that’d be gained from switching?
I always buy the least expensive available when given the option.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
As has been pointed out here already, for me it’s not so much brand loyalty, but it’s that I find what works and stick with it. Examples:

Ernie Ball guitar strings
Sharpie pens
Dunkin Donuts coffee

If at any time I discover something that works better, especially if it costs less, I’ll make a change.

Having said that, all the while certain brand names do carry an image and do have a draw. Peterson Pipes is an example for me. When I started smoking pipes this name quickly made itself known to me, and with it came a certain mystique. And soon enough I wanted one. And when I finally got one it did not disappoint.

But the question is: Was the Peterson really that great, or had I just built it up in my mind, or was it both?
It's That great for you, and that's all that matter

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Duluth Trading Company (Whenever possible except for underwear). I once had an ember pop out my pipe while driving to the store burning a hole in a 50 dollar shirt. I got to the store and the greeter asked how my day was and I mentioned i was mad at myself for burning my shirt. He looked at it asked did we make it? Upon saying yes he told me to get another one and exchange it. I tried to explain I damaged it. It wasn't workmanship. They insisted and I got a new shirt. They are great shirts.