PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Inertia plays a major role in my non-work life. If I find something I like I tend to stick with it.

I’ll take restaurants as an example, but it applies to most if not all branded goods and services. If I go to a new restaurant and I don’t like it I’m done. My kids have learned the code word; if the server asks how my meal was and I say “fine” that means we’re never going back. If it’s a restaurant that I’ve had previous positive experiences with they’ll get another chance or maybe two (and if I know the owner or manager I’ll talk to them). But generally speaking I’m uninterested in complaining; I’d rather vote with my feet. There is rarely if ever a shortage of alternatives.

The same thing holds true with almost everything I pay for, from jeans to doctors. If the experience is positive inertia will keep me loyal for literally decades (several of my docs are in their seventies and one is well into his eighties).

So yes, I’m brand loyal to many manufacturers and service providers, and if they don’t screw up I’ll stick around for life. I’m more concerned with something consistently meeting my expectations than price or variety for its own sake.

As is often said on forums ymmv.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Chock full o nuts coffee is my standby. Limmer shoes and boots last forever. Old grandad bottled in bond never dissapoints. Everything else varies I think.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
As a 40+ year auto tech, only SnapOn tools
Benchmade knives
Hunts ketchup
3M adhesives
Honda lawnmowers
I rotate Asiics and Brooks shoes. 10 + hours, 5 days a week on concrete.
Music with at least a slice of funky bass, preferably by Les Claypool.
Danish Stanwells, though I have cheated a time or 3

Everything else is negotiable

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
GM, Massey Ferguson, Copenhagen, Roger, Thorogood and Georgia Boots, Reese's, Levi's, Wrangler, Comfort Colors, Richardson hats, carhartt, etc.
So many. I basically have a brand per item in my house. Hand tools, farm equipment, clothes, pens, guitars, hifi audio gear, pipes and tobacco, everything. Once I find a brand I like for something, I stop trying new stuff and stick to what I know i like. It always hurts worse when a brand discontinue to produce a product I like, or outsource it and lose quality.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
As a 40+ year auto tech, only SnapOn tools
Benchmade knives
Hunts ketchup
3M adhesives
Honda lawnmowers
I rotate Asiics and Brooks shoes. 10 + hours, 5 days a week on concrete.
Music with at least a slice of funky bass, preferably by Les Claypool.
Danish Stanwells, though I have cheated a time or 3

Everything else is negotiable
Primus sucks! A term of endearment for those who aren't Primus fans (which Les Claypool is the bassist of amongst other various bands)

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
I have zero brand name loyalty. Companies have a habit of not being loyal to their customers.

I will, however, pay for quality.

This +1.

Sometimes, as I read through posts, I wish everyone was to the point and precise. Myself included at times.

Reactions: Elric

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I'm not particularly loyal to any brand name (except my cigarettes). Generic usually gets the job done for cheaper, allowing me to spend more on vices, projects around the house, or my daughter.

However, my daughter's mother is a name brand junkie who often times buys another product despite already having the generic version at home. Examples include:

Jif peanut butter
Hellmann's mayonnaise
Hidden Valley ranch
Philadelphia cream cheese
Sargento cheese slices

Oddly, she gets generic toilet paper (which doesn't make sense and is the one item I would prefer a brand name, but I digress).

Are you loyal to certain brands? If so, what?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I usually buy generic/store brand, but there are a few brands I'm loyal to.

Duluth Trading Boxer Briefs... Eco-Cheeks and Buck Naked Performance. The most comfortable underwear I've ever owned. I wait until they're on sale and then stock up. I'm a fan of a lot of the Duluth Trading products.

Bonne Maman fruit preserves

Q-Tips - no flimsy generic cotton swabs for me.

Wrangler jeans

I'm sure there's a few more.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Any song Harlan Howard got a famous singer to record is a masterpiece.

The value of good brand names is like a Harland Howard tearjerker.

They wouldn’t be famous unless they were good.