36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm not particularly loyal to any brand name (except my cigarettes). Generic usually gets the job done for cheaper, allowing me to spend more on vices, projects around the house, or my daughter.

However, my daughter's mother is a name brand junkie who often times buys another product despite already having the generic version at home. Examples include:

Jif peanut butter
Hellmann's mayonnaise
Hidden Valley ranch
Philadelphia cream cheese
Sargento cheese slices

Oddly, she gets generic toilet paper (which doesn't make sense and is the one item I would prefer a brand name, but I digress).

Are you loyal to certain brands? If so, what?

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Products you use regularly over years usually reveal distinct or subtle differences that incline one to a specific brand or brands. I prefer Kleenex even when it costs a little more to brands that are either too harsh, as are some generics, or two fluffy or over-scented as are some other name brands. I've owned three different makes of cars, and I can easily rate them overall for my preference; I enjoyed them all, but one brand is definitely more reliable, less prone to warranty repairs, and more durable, so that's fairly definitive.

With food and beverages, it gets into aesthetics and sensory experience, and most people have preferences there. If it just has better taste, texture, etc., you just like it better for your tastes.

I enjoy finding generic items that do as well as the name brand that costs twenty percent more, or two hundred percent more. I don't consider Walmart a bastion of style, but I've bought a few short sleeved shirts there that are 100% cotton or a good wrinkle resistant blend that are better than pricier shirts I've bought elsewhere.

I have distinct ideas about wrist watches, pens, pocket knives, computers, slacks, jeans, TV, washing machines, and many other items.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I like Toyotas, I've had 8, one of which had over 600000kms on it (1977 Corolla). In my experience they are much more reliable than any other automotive manufacturer.

I generally don't buy name brand food though,or much processed food at all, it seems like a waste of money to me when I can make or cook it myself, and I was brought up with the belief that wasting money or throwing away useful items is morally reprehensible, as bad as stealing and cheating.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Also this brings up what do you consider loyalty, blindly being their sheep, no, but i listed the brands i trust and use at this point. So the term loyalty is questionable, there’s always going to be a better mousetrap and when i find it I’ll use that.

There are also companies i just won’t support for my own reasons no matter how good their shit is.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm loyal to value which I equate to performance for price. Any brand that offers value gets my loyalty. Since I do computer graphics that means Apple, Adobe, Eizo, Wacom. My Toyota is 15 years old and still runs great without a lot of expensive maintenance. Brooks Beasts for shoes. Henkels for knives - mine are 50 years old and still going strong - Zwilling for non stick. I like Canon for photography, though if I had limitless pockets I'd probably add Leica.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Honda - Olds broke down every 50 miles after the payment ended, and haven't had American auto since.
Levi's - They still make some pants that fits.
Zippo
Peterson
Pepsi
Bushmills
Guinness
List goes on.. I tried others, and some are OK, but I'm comfortable with them.

Oh! Android. No Apple crap. Both kids switch over to Android after finally understanding freedom to keep your phone way you can configure without having to live with "you don't have to know. It's Apple, must be secure."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love the old Leica 35mm rangefinder cameras, though I never owned one. Once they got to digital cameras, I think there was a lot of duplication of circuits, and I'm not sure camera brands are distinct anymore. But those old Leica's were solid as a rock and beautifully designed and built. The old celluloid film, especially the b&w like Tri-X, had a visual vibrance that saturated color has never approximated. Images are so computer generated now, the sense of photographic verity is not creditable. Photography used to have the aura of being from life, but now it is from chips, beautiful but conceptual, disengaged.