PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
This should simply be a list of companies who does not hire tobacco users, or that fires them for doing it. Plain and simple, if you start adding stipulations upon it, we end up making the number of companies too big to keep track of or reasonabley boycott. Keep it simple.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
What are your guys' opinions on workers that smoke in restaurants? I personally think it is kind of gross. Am I wrong to think that?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's nothing. Some of the old school embalmers didn't wear gloves and would actually rest their cigarette on the embalming table and occasionally puff while they work! OSHA regulations did away with that, but people used to do it back in the day.

phoenix

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
mjtannen---I don't think that is the best idea. We are supposed to be gentlemen. Sure, I agree with you on an initial level...I just don't think it's wise. What I do is wear a shirt with a breast pocket and put my still smoldering pipe in there when I go into places. The pipe is visible, but I wouldn't just keep it in my mouth even if it weren't lit. That would just make me out to be an inconsiderate asshole, which is one thing we surely don't want. But I DO have it lit constantly while out in public, hoping to turn the cigarette smokers into pipers. Just my opinion.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Seattle - they hate smokers! 25 foot "no smoke" zone around every business entrance. That puts you in the middle of the street which is full of people who can't drive.
If you are in a park, every person there feels the need to lecture you on the evils of tobacco, then they lecture you on using a car, eating red meat, and urge you to use pot for a stress reducer.
Sometimes you are lucky enough to be there during the anarchist riots, and the gay parade full of naked old men (I may never get that image out of my mind - ugh!).
It use to be such a great place - lots of neat old shops, the waterfront, the center, and the great restaurants. I really miss what use to be.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Here's something just too, too ironic. My State Farm Agent is precisely, locked-in-arm next door to my B&M!! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm with some of these boycottes, not others. Some I support for reasons other than those cited. But it is always

wise to vote with your pocketbook. But you have to let the offending company or agency know what you are doing.

A small vocal group will have far more influence than a large group of people who simply withhold their business, since

that will just be seen as a marketing trend unrelated to the problem being protested. Let 'em know. Be polite and

specific. If you rant, they'll just toss it in the crank mail file. Be brief but state the whole case, one page maximum.

planetscott

Lurker
Apr 7, 2013
Sweetwater Brewing in Atlanta. They treated my homebrew club horribly. They didn't have to, in fact they should have treated us like great, repeat customers that would have helped promote their product. They need our help because they brew a mediocre beer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, lots of boycotts and non-boycottes here. I think a personal boycott needs a written back-up to the

company explaining what you're doing and why, not angry but hard-nosed and clear. If you can organize

a group effort, and people will draft individual wording, so much the better. Some of these places are

run by regular Joes and Janes who want to do right (while they are making piles of money). But they need

to know where they and potential customers part ways. And you probably have to write at least once a year,

so they remember you and your message.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Any movie by Matt Damon, Tom Cruise, or John Travolta.
Why? Because they don't know how to shut their stupid pie holes.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I will never buy anything from Walmart ever.

Also there needs to be an acute increase in awareness about the side effects of corporatism in all its expressions.

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
It is great to be able to express our dislike of a companies policies by staging a personal boycott against them. It is also a wonderful thing to be able to try and influence others to do the same. Even though opinions are varied and different they seem to be worked out in an amiable manner. Maybe we should enlist some of our congressmen to join us in this endeavor. they are the entity that I wish to boycott.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
If we all were able to pay for our own health care life would be much easier for us pipe smokers, but that's the leash that's being used to keep us in line. The problem is we have delegated so much of the responsibility of our lives to government agencies, insurance companies and employers so that a lot of choices we used to make for ourselves are now being made by others. If I saw this trend decreasing I'd be much more optimistic. In fact, as government grows more powerful the needs and wants of the individual are becoming less of a concern. We are quickly entering a new age of Puritanism and collectivism. No amount of boycotting is going to stop it. Maybe some intelligent voting, but not boycotting. I mean you gotta do what you gotta do, but don't expect the government or any of these huge companies to respect your individuality.

Reactions: olkofri

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Change comes from the response of the masses, If enough people quit using a Brand of soap there will no longer be a need for it. While this is a slow death process it still works to some degree. As far as the government goes it is the voters and their own sense of feeling that they are entitled to the what ever they want at the expense of the taxpayer, who in many cases are the voters as well. Kinda like a dog chasing it's tail! We need to go back to the premise of "The Government that governs least governs best". Instead we are stuck with the old story where Moses told the tribes to load up your ass and hop on your camel we are heading to the promised land. Centuries later FDR told was heard to say sit on your ass and light up a camel, this is the promised land. We have been in a downward spiral every since!

Status
Not open for further replies.