PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not many murders get solved.
In my experience, the majority of murders are solved quite quickly, in truth. The killer is often a relative or acquaintance. Almost as often, they quickly offer up a confession to the first officer on the scene. And then, there are those which take a few days or even weeks. But, the vast majority of homicides are, in fact solved, even random killings. The vast, intrusive coverage of surveillance cameras in most major cities many times offers up images of the crime and the suspect. A sizable reward often helps as "friends" even accomplices of the killer will opt for the cash instead of the "friendship." And again, the stupidity of the perp is often the key to the solution.

Professional killings, often contract "hits" can be tough to solve of course as successful "hitmen" think the crime through, puzzle over possibilites and have worked out solutions before committing the crime. But, there is the money trail and the fact that many people have knowledge of the crime. Many of those knowledgeable have are willing to assist the cops in order to improve their position. Just look to the "Hoffa" case.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Liars figure and figures lie, but one set of stats I saw recently had the number of murders solved at a fairly low precent. There are many obvious cases -- the spouse, the thwarted lover. But this had the solved murders at 20 percent, if I recall. But i can't cite the source, and these stats may vary wildly from study to study. I think the number of unsolved cases is pretty high, and without a body, many killings never get investigated as such. In the case of the one I covered as a journalist, the two perps were picked up within a month or so, and sentenced to life, long after I'd left the internship at the paper -- so that was some good police work. FBI and all. The perps were violent but not very sophisticated ... like dumping the body in the brush.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
According to a government publication here in Canada 37% of homicides are unsolved in the US while 26% remain a mystery in Canada. Mind you our murder rate is 1.95 per 100,000 and the US is at 5 per 100,000.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
As to pigs disposing of murder victims, one of the series I watched featured that very method. Can't be sure.... Breaking Bad?
There was a case in England not too many years ago where a pig farmer had collapsed (natural courses)... ...the pigs ate him.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Liars figure and figures lie, but one set of stats I saw recently had the number of murders solved at a fairly low precent. There are many obvious cases -- the spouse, the thwarted lover. But this had the solved murders at 20 percent, if I recall. But i can't cite the source, and these stats may vary wildly from study to study. I think the number of unsolved cases is pretty high, and without a body, many killings never get investigated as such. In the case of the one I covered as a journalist, the two perps were picked up within a month or so, and sentenced to life, long after I'd left the internship at the paper -- so that was some good police work. FBI and all. The perps were violent but not very sophisticated ... like dumping the body in the brush.
and how many unsolved cases are the "less dead" you know people on the fringe of society that don't get a lot of clamoring over finding their killer.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There are "documented" cases of living beings spontaneously combusting. Never ran across such a case during my career.
Almost every case involves either decrepit or heavily intoxicated people. It's just a theory because well you can't really go about testing on life subjects, that it's actually a slow burn with the persons fats and clothing acting much like a candle wick. And that physical insensitiveness plays a huge part. Thought you might find that interesting.

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger
Status
Not open for further replies.