PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I watch a good amount of real crime stuff and one thing I've concluded is murders tend to be dumb even the smarter ones seem to "criminally" over estimate their own intelligence. Heck most of the time it's solving a problem much smaller then the threat of murder conviction (like paying the alimony is going to cramp your style less then having the threat of lots of jail over your head for the rest of your damn life).
There is a simple explanation for your observations.
The true crime shows usually only spotlight cases where the killer gets caught. We don’t hear about the smart ones - no body no case.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
Clearly not an experienced pipe smoker, our villain, otherwise he would have packed the barrel properly, smoked the contents to a fine white ash and wiped it clean with a paper towel before properly storing it at the bottom of the lake.

Tsk, tsk. Amateur.
Or maybe someone was just cellaring a loved one…..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not many murders get solved. People always jump to the conclusion that these "finds" are perpetrators themselves who got caught up in their own violent web, but of course that is a defensive attitude. An equal number are good folks who see too much, get caught in the wrong place, or are victims of crimes unrelated to their behavior. Lots of gallows humor comes to the rescue. Ask not for whom the bell tolls. A moment of silent prayer for whoever they were. "Stiffs" are the remains of lives.

My 21st birthday was spent covering the discovery of the remains of a disabled veteran who was in the midst of a move, who stopped for a beer and encountered two murderous thieves. The body was discovered decomposed in the August heat, when vultures flew out of a forested roadside, seen by a passing motorist. The crime scene was permeated by the stench, and the sheriff was grasping his nose with a handkerchief scented with (maybe) gasoline. The FBI showed up (interstate crime) and took fingerprints, which were still available. That was my coming of age party.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
There is a simple explanation for your observations.
The true crime shows usually only spotlight cases where the killer gets caught. We don’t hear about the smart ones - no body no case.
oh there are some about those cases too. And one of the things that amazes me too are the cops. Either they really impress me or you're like how can the ball get dropped so thoroughly. Oh and don't get caught still not totally in the clear.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
If I’m interviewing you and I ask what you have had for breakfast, your day just got longer.

It’s been my experience interviewing that people who commit crimes have alibis, their story and cover stories all nicely in order so the deception game can stay smooth and “believable”

What criminal masterminds don’t have in their mental toolbox are answers to simple questions about mundane stuff.

If I believe the truth isn’t in you, I start the interview over and reintroduce myself, then i have them walk me through their day. Let’s say the fire was at 5pm, just before we get to the fire, in the timeline, I ask, what did you have for breakfast?

It’s crazy how people stumble and fumble over simple questions.

If I really think you’re full of shit, I ask them which shoe they put on first. Nonsensical, yes, but it’s crazy how off balance it makes people, then I hone in on real questions.

Most criminals aren’t very bright, but are smart enough to cause grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.