PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
It was time for the penultimate blend. I opted for #2.

As per usual, I sliced open the packet, tried not to peek at any contents, and focused only on the contained aroma. This, it would seem, resulted in what felt literally condimental. I was getting a combination of cranberry (now common in this study) and ketchup. It made me realize... somebody should release a cranberry ketchup. It would be the shit, especially on turkey or chicken hoagies.

Easing the contents from their housing, I realized that this leaf was the darkest yet. This suggested age, no doubt, and the loose flaking suggested American make. Likely McLelland, much like my guess for #1.

20240712_133342.jpg

I continued the trend of divvying up the packet for myself and Alex in 2 small pipes to invoke either consensus or - more common - disagreement. We both assumed that what we were about to light was McLelland in origin, and that Alex would probably like it while I wouldn't. And we were (probably) both half right.

He lit up and the emanating cloud, sure enough, smelled like a barbecue smokehouse, plus a bit of tobacco. Before I could strike a flame, he told me that this wasn't as good as #1. I soon agreed. It took to light in no time, but my compliments largely stop there.

With this one, the retrohale was pleasant enough, with just a hint of spice. But while this pleasance was agreeable, it frustrated me that I detected little to no Red Virginia. That's the problem with such a leaf: it packs so light a punch that it's easy to drown out. Maybe the magic of this blend was that it faded so quickly to the background that all our conversations failed to return to whether or not we enjoyed the blend. Thus far, this was the only blend on which we agreed: 2.5/5.

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
While I shirked convention at every possible turn, it seemed only reasonable that I end on a measure of conformity at Number 6. A large part of me wishes that I hadn't.

This is the only packet with which I took no notes. No notes on scent, no notes on taste or retro-hale; nothing. Mostly because... that's largely what I found.

I sliced the pouch open with my trusty Morakniv and breathed deeply like I had now half a dozen times before. All I detected was the platonic ideal of tobacco. Not quite cigarettes, but also no fruit-like fragrance of Red VA.

Extracting the contents, I was surprised. I expected the non-scent to be something akin to RYO tobacco, not quite powdery, but grinded ribbon perhaps.

20240712_111017.jpg

What I found seemed to be almost-ready-rubbed. Not quite a broken flake, but not a stringy ribbon either. At once, I became wary of this one. I knew it wouldn't be for me, but I was also quite curious of its identity.

I split the sample yet again, giving half to Alex and keeping half for myself. He lit up as per usual, and with this leaf the carpet also matched the drapes. The room note wasn't of Red VA, but over the counter tobacco. It didn't make me want to light up, and it didn't seem to excite Alex either. "It's like I'm smoking nothing," he said. I'd soon agree.

I flicked the Peterson lighter to flame and charred the nondescript leaves and sure enough... nothing. As a beer snob, the only way I can describe this one was to compare it to Bud Light. It's technically beer but I can't fathom drinking it on purpose because it lacks any notable qualities.

Whatever 6 is, it lit up easily and smoked to ash... but so did practically all the samples. We finished our bowls, dumped our ashes, and agreed, "Well, that was tobacco."

Neither of us gave a decided number, but we'd both land maybe 1.5 on a 5 scale as the absolute max. (Fingers crossed that this isn't some legendary tobacco I just shit on...)

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Hey guys. We got electricity back today (day 7) after the hurricane.

Red Vas are my favorite tobacco, so I am please to participate in this tasting. 5100 was a favorite in the day. I will post as I go, but won’t read your comments until after I’ve sampled a blend.

It was an absolute pleasure to smoke Sample #1 today as my 1st smoke in a week! I used a small Ron Fairchild lovat today. It’s a good VA flake pipe and left me enough from the sample to smoke a little more.

The “tin” note and smoke tells me this is a McClelland VA. I taste this as pure red VAs. Sweeter reds than we can get these days. The flavor is deep, rich, spicy and sweet. Some tang. The retrohale is beautiful. Age has mellowed the high notes and the tang.

This blend is perfect for me. I don’t think it can be topped. I will judge the others from it.

My best guess is McClelland’s #27. However my memory of that blend is old. It could be also one of the Christmas Cheers.

IMG_1177.jpeg

umbrella001

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 8, 2022
Enjoyed the weekend with Samples #3 & 4 in the clay cutty.

Sample #3:

A much lighter Virginia with a floral scent out of the package. This definitely reminded me of Summertime. The flakes were thinner than the previous samples and were mostly broken down so minimal prep was needed. Upon lighting, that mild honey/fresh hay aroma came through and progressed through the first 1/2 of the bowl. This tobacco produced a steady, light stream of smoke and required few coaxings to keep lit. I appreciated the simplicity of the flavors that were coming through and could see myself smoking this on a light hike during the warmer months. I'd rate this a 2.5/4

Sample #4:

A fermented hay smell crept out of the pouch when I cut it open. This one was a treat even before fire was applied. Thick flakes that were easy to rub out and dry for about 10-15 min. After the char, there was almost a molassess/brown sugar note that I thought was amazing. I let this pipe go out and resumed about an hour later. The second half of the bowl reminded me of a dried fig that complimented the initial base note. Overall, I liked this darker Virginia better than sample 3. 3/4

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Sample #2
Appearance: looked similar to Sample #1, maybe a bit darker
Smell: a rich, almost "baking spice" scent, earthiness
Smokes similar to Sample #1 but seems richer, "thicker". Loaded entire sample into the briar, no splitting up between the briar & the cob. I like it. If somebody said, "I'll give you 10lbs of either FREE, so choose.", I'd probably pick Sample #1, which seems to have more "personality". I'm thinking, however, that Sample #2 could have great potential as a blender, adding some richness to Lemon Virginia or Burley. I'd like to see how Sample #2 would fare with some Oriental (Turkish) added. Adding some Perique might really hit some high notes. I'm going to DGT half of the bowl.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Sample #2
Appearance: looked similar to Sample #1, maybe a bit darker
Smell: a rich, almost "baking spice" scent, earthiness
Smokes similar to Sample #1 but seems richer, "thicker". Loaded entire sample into the briar, no splitting up between the briar & the cob. I like it. If somebody said, "I'll give you 10lbs of either FREE, so choose.", I'd probably pick Sample #1, which seems to have more "personality". I'm thinking, however, that Sample #2 could have great potential as a blender, adding some richness to Lemon Virginia or Burley. I'd like to see how Sample #2 would fare with some Oriental (Turkish) added. Adding some Perique might really hit some high notes. I'm going to DGT half of the bowl.
After a 24-DGT

Reactions: jbfrady

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Sample #2

Upon opening the pouch, I quickly came to 2 conclusions : this blends is also from McClellands and is likely one of the Christmas Cheer series.

A beautiful smoke of well-aged VAs. Another treat from @Mrs. Pickles

A simple way for me to do this is to compare it to Sample #1. This is more tart, less sweet and less spicy. It is also a broken flake, and is probably younger than its predecessor. More moist out of the pouch.

This one is more tart than I prefer. But it’s a natural tartness from fermentation and maybe from some bright leaf.

I am not knowledgeable about the differences in the CC year blends. However, it does remind me of some year 2000 CC that I smoked recently.

Last edited:

umbrella001

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 8, 2022
Sample #5:

I looked forward to opening this pouch all afternoon and was finally met with a tart, vinegar scent combined with a mild apple-esque aroma. The cut was a thick ribbon that didn't need to dry and I loaded it into a Peterson black Aboriginal meerschaum. Since this is a smaller pipe, I was able to get two bowls worth. The initial lights gave off a mellow sweetness that I felt was milder than all of the previous tobaccos before this one. Still very tasty and satisfying. The end of each bowl had much less sourness and more of that carmelized sweetness that I always look forward to. It's difficult to say which order I like these samples in because when I normally choose a blend, it depends on what intensity and profile I'm looking for. Each of these could be a contender in my proverbial tobacco tool belt for when the time is right. I'll rate this one as a 3/4. Hope you all have a fantastic evening!

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Sample 3

This was a very mild red VA blend. It was mostly a ribbon cut , but might have been broken flake at one time.

On first light, there was just no flavor, maybe some caramel in the background. As the smoke continued it strengthened . It wasn’t until the last 1/8 bowl that I was getting enough strength to enjoy it.

All the red VA flavors are there, but you really have to seek them out. However no spice and no tang.

I think this may be a C&D blend. Generally, I find little to enjoy in their commonly used reds VAs. The exceptions are some of their small batch blends like Carolina Red Flake and Anthology.

I’d guess maybe C&D Red VA Ribbon, but I’ve never smoked it.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Sample 6

Tin notes, I used to bale hay and the smell of this reminds me of working in the hay mow. There is a slight fermentation going on with undertones of fig. This one is a bit sticky to the touch so I dried it for 15-20 min. The taste on this is great. It’s sweet with some baked bread and dark tangy fruit. 4 out of 4 stars.

It was a close call between 6,4, and 2 for me but the final ranking is 4,6,2,1,3,5.

I had a lot of fun doing this. Thank you @Mrs. Pickles for putting this together and including me. I’m sorry I’m not as descriptive as the others. I tried. I look forward to seeing what we tasted.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
A job well done by @Jbrewer2002 ! Congratulations on finishing all six samples and laying down some on-point reviews. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

For the record, I think your hay mow description is right on. I've been told that the same sweet aromatic compounds in fresh and drying grass (e.g. coumarin and and caryophyllene) are an important part of the bouquet we experience in pipe tobacco, both innate and added with flavoring. And I agree--the #6 tin note delivers on that front.

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Sample 4

This presents as a loosely pressed flake. Appearance and tin note makes me think GL Pease. Maybe a blend with reds and brights.

For the 1st half bowl, I got a good volume of smoke that tasted more like brights with citrus and hay. I almost wondered if there was perique in it - based on spice, not aroma.

2nd half revealed more of the red flavors of dark fruit, bread and light spice. Wonderful retrohale at this point.

None of this was sweet, which I prefer.

I think this might along the lines of Pease Union Square, which is described by the blender as:
“A blended, sliced cake of high grade flue cured leaf, from beautiful, sweet brights to deep, earthy reds, without the added sugars and flavorings common to many Virginia flakes.”

No sugars or flavorings would fit the smoking experience.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Made it to the end!

Sample 6

Tin note: Really different from all the others. Pretty rustic. Is farm-esque a word? Probably not, but hopefully you know what I mean. Not like the animal smell you get driving through Hereford, TX. More like stacks of baled hay sitting in a barn on a hot day. Freshly turned soil. A bit of vegetal decay. Not an unpleasant aroma at all, but not one I'd describe as "yummy." Not getting any sugar or sweetness, and since I prefer VA's that lean sweet, I have to admit I don't have high hopes for this one.

Cut: Mostly rubbed out with a few small chunks of broken flake. Moisture level is once again, pretty much perfect. May need 10-15 minutes of air, but that's it. Hats off to Andrew (Mrs. Pickles) for doing a really great job of getting these in a ready-to-smoke state before packing them up which is much appreciated.

In the pipe: Given how frequently it happens, I think god must find it endlessly amusing to point out when I'm wrong. In this case, there's nothing to be sad or annoyed about because despite my low expectations, this one is turning out to be a bit of a pleasant surprise. The vegetal and earthy notes from the tin aroma are coming through in the smoke, but without any bitterness I usually get from those flavors. There's not a ton of sweetness, but there is enough to satisfy me. This one seems very much in the same “happy medium” vein as sample #5, but of the two, I prefer this one. This might actually give Yorktown a run for it's money. Smokes a little hot, but is remaining dry through the mid bowl nonetheless. The flavor is robust enough to stand up to coffee. Or how I have my coffee anyway; very dark, very strong, but with loads of cream and a little sugar. I like most burleys with my coffee, but very few VA's. A nice little bonus point for this one. It's remaining good into the heel with not much changing except the sweetness is getting a little darker in tone. Yeah, I like this. I'll be interested to find out what it is.
I just went back and read the sample 6 comments as I held off until I tried it. I see we may have had a similar experience. It was good stuff.

Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I wish to offer my apologies to Mrs. Pickles and everyone else involved, as a failure to anticipate the effects that Beryl would have on my community has prevented me from contributing in a timely manner.
That said, I have never actually read a tobacco review and my nearly thirty (30) years of pipe smoking experience was limited almost exclusively to blends that came in paint cans (yellow labels) until very recently.

1) I liked the smell of this tobacco, which is comparable to the secret-ingredient barbeque sauces used by people in this region of Texas. My guess as to the ingredients of these sauces is nothing more than a guess but would have to include: apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and warm spices.
The sweetness of the smoke was pleasantly surprising, which I would say has some similitude to cured/baled alfalfa hay.

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Sample 5

I really like this blend. It comes as a ribbon cut and is easy burning. I smoked it in my most-smoked VA pipe - a Radice twin-bore.

It has all the flavors of a good red VA - rich, sweet, tangy, dark fruit and spice, without the grassy and hay qualities. However every flavor is present at a medium level.

The flavors are pretty consistent throughout the bowl, but deepen as you progress. I really appreciate the sweetness of the blend.

It also has a nice after taste.

I am pretty certain this is Sutliff RC-01 Matured VA. I have 3 lbs of the stuff stashed in my cellar, because I think it’s the best bulk red VA available.

I’m glad it’s in the sampling. I look forward to others’ opinions on it.

IMG_1182.jpeg