Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
The time had come... #5 was drawn from the sleeve. Slicing it open, this one was different than the others. More simplistic, more straightforward. I knew this smelled like something in particular, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I must've taken a dozen deep breaths before it hit me... cranberry! This smelled like cranberries, sweetened. Every year, I make my own cranberry sauce around Thanksgiving because I hate that canned shit and this smells just like the post-boiled sweetened cranberries before I add spices to the mix.

I didn't immediately assume any level of aromatic because the aroma of cranberry could very well be natural to Red Virginia leaves. I slipped the leaf from the baggie and what I found was distinctly ribbon. There were a couple broad slices here and there, but it was predominantly thin-cut. This, as far as my limited experience goes on bulk leaf (or ribbon, as I'm a hot-pressed prude) would suggest C&D. The Sutliff product I've seen has involved more broad-leaf-per-capita. Having purchased C&D's Red VA bulk in the past to try blending at home, I began to wonder if I hadn't stumbled upon the identity of this packet. Still, I tried to restrain judgment on the matter. I loaded Alex and myself a Burner's worth. It was time to try it.

20240711_103037.jpg

As per our temporary usual, Alex lit up first. This time, I detected nothing but the bready cloud of Virginia wafting my way. Whatever this was, it wasn't an aromatic. It was straight leaf, but in a respectable and approachable manner. I knew I wasn't to be disappointed.

And I wasn't. Lighting up, I tasted nothing more and nothing less than what I know to be VA. It's my personal favorite component - about half of everything I smoke is a straight Virginia blend of one kind or another. It burnt hot, but that's the unfortunate nature of the ribbon cut, and it's why I tend to avoid it. Still, it was a pleasant all-day-until-you-get-tonguebite smoke.

"This is the best I've tried yet," Alex said. I asked if he was sure, because I felt pretty damned certain that this was C&D Red VA, and that we had at least a quarter-pound of it locked away in our blending mixes at that very moment. "Wait..." he said, "We do?" I nodded.

It's not that I disagreed. Of the samples so far, #4 has been my clear favorite, but this wasn't far behind. For him, this seemed to run somewhere between a 4 and a 4.5 on a 5 scale. For me, we're talking a 3.5. Had it been hot pressed instead of ribbon cut, I'd have been all about it. Whether this is C&D or not, it's one of my hopes for their future... that they acquire the old-world machinery needed to take their pressing to the next level.

There we sat, discussing shit that's not really worth posting here. But we were toking away without a second thought on the blend which satisfied us both, with nary a complaint amid our myriad discussions. "It really is this simple," he said at some point, "isn't it? We've tried so many things, but this is as good as any of them."

I didn't agree. But I didn't disagree either, and maybe that's something.

Attachments

• 20240711_103707.jpg
    20240711_103707.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 4

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Congratulations to @Butter Side Down for completing all six samples! I hope it’s been fun for him to be on the other side of a challenge he more or less designed.

I hope everyone else has enjoyed themselves so far too. It’s been a blast reading along.

It takes a hell of a lot focus to taste something and translate that into words on a screen. Some of our tasters have that said they don’t fee like they’re good at it, but I beg to differ. I think those reading along and enjoying the experience through your observations will beg to differ too.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
It’s 100 degrees with 18% humidity today, so I’m just a bit stuffy, but I’m on to sample 4 regardless.

Tin note seems mild, but I’m getting raisins, maybe some bread and hay, and a touch of that fermented/vinegar zing.

With basically no moisture in the air, this one fired right up. Another nice, easy smoke. Some sweetness, some raisin, and a touch of the fermented funkiness, which I enjoy. Honestly, a really nice smoke on this warm evening

While I’m enjoying this one, it still can’t dethrone sample one. I’m giving this one a share of second place with blend 2.

umbrella001

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 8, 2022
Finally had a moment to try sample #2:

From the pouch, this tobacco definitely had a much stronger aroma that to my nose, was more of a deep fruit note combined with that tangy vinegar layer. The broken flakes had more moisture than the previous sample so I ended up drying them a little bit longer. I discerned a flavor that reminded me of baked cherries during the first half of the bowl. I don’t think I dried it long enough as I had to relight several times but the smoke was still very rich. During the second half of the bowl, the fruit transitioned into a simpler syrupy sweetness, that while not as complex, was still delicious. I prefer sample number one for both complexity and the type of sweetness. This is a lot of fun and I’ve enjoyed paying more attention to what’s in my pipe. Hope you all have an excellent Friday!

Last edited:

umbrella001

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 8, 2022
Finally had a moment to try sample #2:

From the pouch, this tobacco definitely had a much stronger aroma that to my nose, was more of a deep fruit note combined with that tangy vinegar layer. The broken flakes had more moisture than the previous sample so I ended up drying them a little bit longer. I discerned a flavor that reminded me of baked cherries during the first half of the bowl. I don’t think I dried it long enough as I had to relight several times but the smoke was still very rich. During the second half of the bowl, the fruit transitioned into a simpler syrupy sweetness, that while not as complex, was still delicious. I prefer sample number one for both complexity and the type of sweetness. This is a lot of fun and I’ve enjoyed paying more attention to what’s in my pipe. Hope you all have an excellent Friday!
Forgot to give a rating. 3/4

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Congratulations to @Butter Side Down for completing all six samples! I hope it’s been fun for him to be on the other side of a challenge he more or less designed.

I hope everyone else has enjoyed themselves so far too. It’s been a blast reading along.

It takes a hell of a lot focus to taste something and translate that into words on a screen. Some of our tasters have that said they don’t fee like they’re good at it, but I beg to differ. I think those reading along and enjoying the experience through your observations will beg to differ too.
Definitely enjoyed it! Thanks for including me.

Remind me, when are you doing the big reveal? I'm itching to know what we had. Especially samples 1, 2, and 6.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Definitely enjoyed it! Thanks for including me.

Remind me, when are you doing the big reveal? I'm itching to know what we had. Especially samples 1, 2, and 6.

I'm looking at a tentative date of Wednesday, July 24th. That should be a full two weeks since the samples arrived for most of the participants. That will also give the smokers who haven't started yet some time to catch up. If a large majority of the participants finish before then, we can bump that date up.

I understand not everybody will be able to contribute too. We have a few participants in east Texas that I'm sure have bigger concerns than tobacco right now as they deal with the aftermath of hurricane Beryl. Wishing those guys and their families the best.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Sample 5 this afternoon. Tin note was nice, like a sweet bread with a bit of a fruity note as well.

Smoking through this sample, the word that keeps coming to mind is ‘balanced’. Nice, mellow, smooth smoke, but not so mellow that it’s boring. Nice level of sweetness, a bit of sweet bread goodness. A touch of dark fruit and even a hint of zest in the retrohale.

This one might have jumped into second place. Sample 1 tho…. Still not moving out of first place

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I understand not everybody will be able to contribute too. We have a few participants in east Texas that I'm sure have bigger concerns than tobacco right now as they deal with the aftermath of hurricane Beryl. Wishing those guys and their families the best.
@Mrs. Pickles , I received my samples fine. I won’t really be able to smoke for a few more days. We are in recovery from the hurricane, with no power.

Appreciate the good wishes.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
SAMPLE #1
Preparation:
Smoked 2 bowls of Red Va's in my unsmoked Edwards bent bulldog. Didn't want to "contaminate" Sample #1 with any possibility of a burnt wood taste. Of course, that didn't constitute a totally broken in bowl, but at least I now had some blackening. Some of the other tasters have mentioned they broke the sample into 2 parts to smoke two half bowls. I decided to do similar, but the first half bowl would be in the Algerian Briar Edwards pipe. The second half bowl would be in a Cob -- a MM Missouri Pride (bent stem), a very basic Cob. I cut open the package & dumped the sample into an empty McClelland tobacco tin. I did not put on the plastic cover, instead just left the sample to sit uncovered overnight .... to "oxygenate", I guess. I love the cut flakes. They looked "mature" -- aged, not young. They smelled rich, no vinegar nor ketchup. I carefully broke them up by hand, similar to cube cutting.

Started with the Briar first. Took 2 charring lights, then things settled down. Oh man! Very nice! No bite, smooth, a little earthy, but mostly tasted rich dried fruit = black raisins, dates, figs, some fermentation drifted in & out. Didn't really get any of the (in)famous Red Va tang.

What is this? I cannot venture a guess. I'm no Jimlnks by any means. I always love reading the opinions & analyses of tobaccos from the contributors to these forums. With numerous Virginias aging in my cellar, maybe in another 10-15 years, I could speculate.

Half bowl #2, the Cob: Figured if any difference, I could chalk it up to the pipe material, Briar VS Cob. But I wasn't expecting such a difference. Took 3 charring lights before settling down. Immediately, I noticed this was deeper, not BBQ, not Dark Fired nor Kentucky, just more "bass". Still got dried fruit, but the earthiness almost reminded me of peat.

This is wonderful pipe tobacco. I'd definitely put some in the cellar, if I don't already have some there! Upon slicing open the package, I remembered a comment I'd read years back how some gentleman stated that upon cracking a tin, he liked to "commune with the tobacco, touching it, smelling it, looking at the colors, looking for any bloom", etc. I did "commune" with Sample #1. Love jbfrady's description: "... this shit was old. Not presidential old, mind you, but this blend had been around the block and had stories to tell and crystallization to prove it." YUP (!!!).

NOTE:
I'm sitting here enjoying the remainder of both of these pipes (Briar & Cob). Alongside, I'm sipping, out of a heavy glass beer mug, some hot black coffee with a healthy splash of brandy. I feel for Mrs. Pickles & Sobrbiker enduring their AZ heat ... AZ along the Southern border. Here in MN, along the Northern border, it's not as severe (knock on wood), 80's with 90's predicted for this weekend. Of course, 6 months from now, it'll be unbelievable to many (!!!). But I'm looking forward to the eventual disclosures of what these samples are. If I don't already have Sample #1 in my cellar, I'd be very inclined to purchase it. I'm already visualizing sitting on my patio in Oct & Nov, temps described as CRISP, foliage yellow & orange & stunning red, dressed in sweats & heavy socks with coat & scarf ... having just feasted on Roast Pork & Baked Squash, sky dense gray, Winter's blasts not that far off ... and really savoring this Sample #1, a PERFECT choice for this scenario.

But I'm a bit concerned after reading Butter Side Down's ranking:
Quote: "Sample 1 => 5.0 (I still can't stop thinking about it!)"
I totally agree, but is it all downhill with the rest of the samples?
I've now cut open Sample #2, dumped it into a tin & it'll sit, uncovered, at least overnight to "oxygenate".

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Last but not least, sample 6.
Not getting anything earth-shattering from the tin note. Pretty basic VA aromas. Little sweet, little bread, little fruit. Some earthiness, but no fermented or vinegar funk.

Smoking through, and I’m liking this one as well. I know, I’ve liked them all. I’m not a picky person, what can I say? Getting a nice sweetness, but mostly just the earthy breadiness. Maybe just a hint of a dark fruit/raisin thing going. Nice and smooth, not even a hint of zest in the snork. This one may have my favorite ’finish’ of all the blends. Nice sweet aftertaste.

I’m having pure heck trying to rank them. Sample one gets gold, and honestly, it’s not close. Sample 3 was my least favorite, but I still enjoyed it. I can’t give it less than bronze. Everyone else can share the silver.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Mrs Pickles for doing this. VERY well done. I participated in the Latakia challenge last year, and this was every bit as fun.

Side note. My winner by far in the Latakia challenge turned out to be GLP Renaissance. A discontinued blend that I may never have again. I fear that sample 1 of this lineup may be a one and done as well. Better to have loved and lost, and all that I suppose…. Sigh.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
@Mrs. Pickles, thank you for doing this! It takes a substantial amount of time and not insubstantial amount of money to run a tasting. It’s testament to your love of the pipe smoking pastime, and your appreciation of fellow leaf burners!
Wait you turned down FREE anything? I'm reporting you to the tribe, please turn in your Jew card.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Congratulations to @AcesAndEights on completing not just one, but two blind tastings on this forum.

It’s been a delight having you on the team again, bruv!

At the risk of spoiling things:
There’s a larger number of regularly available blends in this mix than our previous tasting. But yeah, sadly, a few are only available on the secondary market.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Congratulations to @AcesAndEights on completing not just one, but two blind tastings on this forum.

It’s been a delight having you on the team again, bruv!

At the risk of spoiling things:
There’s a larger number of regularly available blends in this mix than our previous tasting. But yeah, sadly, a few are only available on the secondary market.
I’ll be thrilled if I find out I didn’t think much of the unobtainium blends involved😆