Blends Everybody Should Try Once?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Will go off track and suggest everyone should grow some tobacco, cure it and smoke it. A lot of respect for blenders!
I was going to suggest that everyone had to try my homegrown at least once, "line up with a crisp $20 bill..." But, then I thought that I would probably be inundated with PMs from people who didn't get the joke. puffy

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
How did you manage that? Was that when Ashdigger tried to take out the entire forum with nicotine poisoning with those vintage bars or where you hanging out at the Ohio show a couple a years ago when me and Weezell were smoking the stuff? I still have a few in a jar for when me and Weezell get together once a year.
Yes, I was one of the sacrificial lambs, lol. It was freaking awesome.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Peterson University Flake
Pegasus
HH Acadian Perique
My Mixture 965
Navy Flake
Carter Hall
Royal Yacht
Half n Half
Golden Blend
Orlik Golden Sliced
Crooner
EGR
Picayune
Pirate Cake
Old Dark Fired
Scottish Mixture

G olden Blend
R oyal Yacht
A mphora
N orwood
G ambler
E scudo
R ich Taste

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh I get it named after the bug spray it tastes like. Seriously though I find myself more and more drawn to this blend. Sadly I'll be disappointed if it's o.k..
mingc and I wiped out the stock that pipestud had at one time. I got five of the tins he had and smoked it until it was gone. I really liked it.

Reactions: JOHN72 and mingc

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
mingc and I wiped out the stock that pipestud had at one time. I got five of the tins he had and smoked it until it was gone. I really liked it.
there are really only a few blends I haven't liked. And the fact is they all have one thing in common. Too much PG. Which does have a taste that ruins it for me. In fact I've looked up what percentage of pg a blend has all the gross ones had over 9 or 10 percent or something like that. Otherwise the next worst blend would be highly smokeable just not as enjoyable as many others.

Reactions: mingc

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I would say all of the very well-known blends, even if it's a bit of a boring answer for the experienced pipe smoker. For example:

- Nightcap
- Full Virginia Flake
- Capstan Blue
- Deluxe Navy Rolls
- Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake or Bulls Eye Flake
- Peterson (Dunhill) Flake
- GLP latakia blends (Westminster and Quiet Nights IMO)
- Boswell aromatics
- Various codger blends

And if you want to get into some worthwhile unicorn blends or discontinued blends:

- Frog Morton series
- McClelland virginias (I would not personally recommend shelling out the big bucks for McC virginias, but I understand why people like them, and they are pretty unique)
- Esoterica Penzance

Of course once you smoke all the well-known blends, then you branch out from there, which perhaps is what this thread is really about. I just wanted to make the point that it makes sense to become well-versed in the basics, which will give you a better framework for appreciating more unique or exemplary blends.

Reactions: JOHN72 and HopHand

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Irish Condor...sniff, it is all gone...I really enjoyed that special taste. Now just a memory. Condor (or Old Condor lover, forgot his name), Weezell, and me...we all just miss it.

Reactions: JOHN72

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Argentine Criollo. Hard to get unfortunately.

WP-20171218-002.jpg