PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
EGR because it's great and nothing quite like it. But that said I think if anything pipe smokers should focus a little more and get to know a few blends really well. That try everything route misses a lot of the finer qualities of many great blends, a lot of the best blends open up more with familiarity.
Also Sail Yellow does not get the love it deserves. It's a great tobacco forward blend that is mellow and awesome.

Reactions: JOHN72 and HopHand

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
EGR because it's great and nothing quite like it. But that said I think if anything pipe smokers should focus a little more and get to know a few blends really well. That try everything route misses a lot of the finer qualities of many great blends, a lot of the best blends open up more with familiarity.
Also Sail Yellow does not get the love it deserves. It's a great tobacco forward blend that is mellow and awesome.
I know I started out wanting to find my blend of tobacco. Like both my great grandfathers the one tobacco product that years after i pass people will think of whenever I cross their minds.
Somewhere along the line I got lost.
Maybe it's because we have more options these days but Im not sure I'll ever find it while they lived to 92 and 101 with nobody alive that could remember them smoking anything else?‍♂️
It was as much a part of what made them them as anything else could be.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Personally I love that we have variety. But I think a lot of people get way too lost in that variety and miss out on much of the joy chasing down that possibility of a new experience while not realizing that depth is as important as breadth when looking for new experiences. Heck many reviews I read tell me how often a person has smoked that particular blend. Many of them are missing things that make me think you had one or two tins you sampled every couple of months.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I do think there’s a sort of panic related FOMO and trying/buying going on currently and I totally understand the reasoning.

Once upon a time you could reasonably look forward to trying a new blend by simply buying a new tin or two without having to worry about it going away suddenly or the producer going bust or the damn taxman or the internet causing it to become unobtainable.

I was stunned several years ago when I suddenly realized many of my favorite blends and labels were gone and all the normal shops were dying off. I used to enjoy selecting something new to try along with buying a few ounces of my regular favorites as needed. Until I realized that way of life was ending, then I tried EVERYTHING that I might be interested in and started cellaring pounds and pounds of what I enjoyed.

I really miss the feeling of knowing my local tobacconist or newsstand would always be there and a new discovery was just waiting for me. Now it’s like waiting for the end of the world. Dammit. Makes everything so much more urgent and bothersome. I’m mostly over wondering what if and the feeling I missed out on something. Mostly. Perhaps. Dammit! I’m not sure at all. ?

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
I do think there’s a sort of panic related FOMO and trying/buying going on currently and I totally understand the reasoning.

Once upon a time you could reasonably look forward to trying a new blend by simply buying a new tin or two without having to worry about it going away suddenly or the producer going bust or the damn taxman or the internet causing it to become unobtainable.

I was stunned several years ago when I suddenly realized many of my favorite blends and labels were gone and all the normal shops were dying off. I used to enjoy selecting something new to try along with buying a few ounces of my regular favorites as needed. Until I realized that way of life was ending, then I tried EVERYTHING that I might be interested in and started cellaring pounds and pounds of what I enjoyed.

I really miss the feeling of knowing my local tobacconist or newsstand would always be there and a new discovery was just waiting for me. Now it’s like waiting for the end of the world. Dammit. Makes everything so much more urgent and bothersome. I’m mostly over wondering what if and the feeling I missed out on something. Mostly. Perhaps. Dammit! I’m not sure at all. ?
I can't really say I suffer a fear of missing out on something new or awesome but after being taxed out of cigarettes less than a year ago I do find myself in absolute and complete soul deep dread that I might not find the tobacco I want to smoke forever before the the crown regulates or taxes it out of my reach.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I can't really say I suffer a fear of missing out on something new or awesome but after being taxed out of cigarettes less than a year ago I do find myself in absolute and complete soul deep dread that I might not find the tobacco I want to smoke forever before the the crown regulates or taxes it out of my reach.
Yes, I hear you. Buy as much good tobacco as you can and enjoy it while you can! The best thing about good tobacco is that you can always trade it for something you like better if you find out your preferences have changed. Much easier to trade than to have nothing at all to smoke!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
?????
Welp this thread took a turn.
Now I'm stuck wondering are all pipe smokers weirdos or just the ones on this forum?
?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️
What is there to wonder about?

One that's a must try is St Bruno, and that's easy to get. As for Escudo, you have to look for 2013 or earlier. Today's stuff ain't it.