PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Just for curiosity's sake.
What are some tobacco blends you personally believe all pipe smokers should try at least once before they leave this world? And if you have a reason other than it's yummy why?
In my limited experience it would have to be the famous codger blends. Only cause I've seen and tried them over the years as cheap last ditch RYO tobacco and it wasn't tell I started pipe smoking did I have any respect for them as a tobacco product.

First blend that comes to mind for me: Peretti's Cuban Mixture.
Absolutely the most complex blend I've personally tried since I started smoking a pipe in the late 1960's.

Reactions: JOHN72
I am not going to push something off on anyone as a "must try." As long as one has tried at least one or two in each genre, then I am fairly sure that one can make up their own mind as to what they like.
That is especially true of a blend that you can no longer get.

But, I guarantee you that if Esotericas were easier to access, more people would just throw up a nose at them for all being heavily cased or topped aromatics with lots of licorice or black strap molasses.

Reactions: JOHN72 and kcghost

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The Gallagher’s. I had it once and OMG it was intense!
How did you manage that? Was that when Ashdigger tried to take out the entire forum with nicotine poisoning with those vintage bars or where you hanging out at the Ohio show a couple a years ago when me and Weezell were smoking the stuff? I still have a few in a jar for when me and Weezell get together once a year.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well, there's hundreds of blends I could put on this list and I will leave off Balkan Sobranie 759 (the original) and Cope's Escudo as those are truly Unobtainium. I'll pick three to keep the list manageable: Dunhill/Peterson Nightcap, A&C Christiansen Escudo, and just because I am a sport some C&D Mad Fiddler.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Paramount moments don't usually arrive by planning and intent. Some of my best blends have been improvised by mixing two or three tobaccos. Right now I'm smoking a tin of McC's Dark Star, aged for some years, grated by me and dried out to get it to burn normally. I'm not likely to encounter another tin of it, so it seems especially good, one of the best of the Virginia blends I've enjoyed, an old burley guy like me.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
A few categories, In no particular order;
(Some are still available, some are not)

VaPer - A&C Christiansen Escudo / Cabbie's Mixture
"English Latakia" - Presbyterian Mixture / Ashton Celebrated Sovereign
Burley Flake - Solani Aged Burley Flake / Wessex Burley Slice / Edgeworth Slices
VA Flake - SG Full Virginia Flake / Reiner Long Golden Flake / Newminster No 400 / Solani Silver Flake
Navy Flake - MacB Navy Flake / SG Navy Flake
Syrian Latakia - Bohemian Scandal / Any other Syrian Latakia blend
Crossover - Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant / SG Perfection
Aromatic - EGR / Country Squire Second Breakfast / Crooner
Burley - Various C&D / Amphora / BLWB

MacB Virginia No. 1 - if you don't understand what tongue bite is :^P

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I know I started out wanting to find my blend of tobacco. Like both my great grandfathers the one tobacco product that years after i pass people will think of whenever I cross their minds.
Somewhere along the line I got lost.
Maybe it's because we have more options these days but Im not sure I'll ever find it while they lived to 92 and 101 with nobody alive that could remember them smoking anything else?‍♂️
It was as much a part of what made them them as anything else could be.
This.
This was my goal, too. To be remembered for one tobacco. And now, look at my shelves...
My kids are still at home. Maybe it's not too late for me for to settle down and be remembered as a leaf monogamist.