PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What have you got, Jeff?
One is a Driway that has a threaded bowl and uses ceramic discs at the base of the chamber (unfortunately, these don’t turn up that often, and when they do, there’s a feeding frenzy—I’m looking into getting some Meerschaum “filters” that will probably fit if the measurements some members provided are accurate). The second is a Prince.

The Driway can be seen in this thread:

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
'88 here and still looking to land one, preferably a Peterson. At first I was thinking I would buy a pipe that looked good enough in that year but realized I wouldn't really love it other than the date stamp so now I'm being more selective as I search for it. There is an XL02 on eBay which I would love but it's in rough shape and the seller wants too much.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
One is a Driway that has a threaded bowl and uses ceramic discs at the base of the chamber (unfortunately, these don’t turn up that often, and when they do, there’s a feeding frenzy—I’m looking into getting some Meerschaum “filters” that will probably fit if the measurements some members provided are accurate). The second is a Prince.

Incoming DM

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA

Love the prince shape! I have a couple and so far it's the one shape that just about every iteration I see makes me want another!

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
'88 here and still looking to land one, preferably a Peterson. At first I was thinking I would buy a pipe that looked good enough in that year but realized I wouldn't really love it other than the date stamp so now I'm being more selective as I search for it. There is an XL02 on eBay which I would love but it's in rough shape and the seller wants too much.
I'm 86, I've seen a handful but well out of my range. I think I'll go a different route in the near future and secure a pipe from a maker in the region/city my father's family came from first!

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Didn't think about this. Put it off as Dunhill crap. But now think about it, with hallmarks, I can possibly find Peterson pipe close enough to my birthday year.
Yup if your Pete has any metal fittings it should be stamped with a letter which signifies year made. They have had to change the font over the years do to the alphabet but it still applies.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Yup if your Pete has any metal fittings it should be stamped with a letter which signifies year made. They have had to change the font over the years do to the alphabet but it still applies.
I know a lot of people swear by Petes, any recommendations for a modestly priced line to give them a go?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Another option is a Stanwell POTY

Reactions: AroEnglish

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
I am still looking for my birth year pipes 1980.
Any recommendations of auction sites?

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I love Erik Nording's work and his annual Hunter series is remarkable. Unfortunately for me his first installment in the Hunter series was 1995 and I was born in 1994. I don't know of how far back any other makers' annual series go, I'm sure there's a Peterson series that goes back to 1994 and most of their series pipes are great.

Reactions: AroEnglish