PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
I am curious what, if any, guidelines are used when searching for a birth year pipe. I'm sure this varies from person to person. My biggest question is how do you find a pipe for that specific year; are there sites that let you filter out by year? If you have one, was it enough to simply have a pipe from that year or did it have to be a specific maker?

Reactions: MyCombOver

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I am curious what, if any, guidelines are used when searching for a birth year pipe. I'm sure this varies from person to person. My biggest question is how do you find a pipe for that specific year; are there sites that let you filter out by year? If you have one, was it enough to simply have a pipe from that year or did it have to be a specific maker?
My only requirement was it be a pipe from my birth year, a lot of ppl it seems look for Dunhills as their pipe, different strokes for different folks. I found my birth year Dunhill on eBay after months of searching. I now have 3 in 3 classic shapes.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think Dunhills tend to be singled out because their stamping is so detailed; once you understand the codes and the styles that were used, you can date a Dunhill without much trouble. I don’t know that that can be said for any other major brand.

My birth-year Dunhill is still on my bucket list, but I’ve accidentally come kind of close. Turns out that one of my eBay Dunhill purchases was from 1964…and I was born in 1961. (Someday I’d like to be able to afford a birth-year Stratocaster too…:))

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I don’t get the obsession with birth year stuff. But thats just me.
Agree. It just drives up prices on old Dunhills, so that we who appreciate such old britwood, but care more about the pipes themselves, than about the exact years they were made, suffer😄

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even with Dunhill/White Spot you have to have a reference book to discern the year the pipe was made. With most brands, it is more involved than that, if not impossible. I've always thought pipe makers should add the year of manufacture or artisan crafting to the stamp, but I've never gotten any traction with other pipe smokers on this.

There are a few pipe makers who do this, or have done this. The Italian pipe maker Luciano does that, or did it; I'm not sure if they are still in business, but they made fine pipes. The Colfax North Carolina pipe carver Jerry Perry etches the year he makes each pipe on the shank. He is the only pipe maker I know who uses Mountain Laurel for some of his pipes, along with briar and one or two other woods.

Since I'm not a White Spot guy, I've abandoned the idea of owning a birth year pipe, but I have pipes marking various other occasions and events.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The flip side is that a lot of things sucked for those of us born in 1980 -- cars, guitars, amps, appliances, etc. Tail end of the malaise era. ;)
True story, I'm 1982. I've only ever seen one pipe made in 1982 that I liked, @georged has a 1982 Dunhill LB thats pretty outstanding. But other than that one all the 80's pipes tend to be unattractive to me. Guitars and amps from the 80s are truly dreadful, with the exception of the Fender Rivera amps.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
My only requirement was it be a pipe from my birth year, a lot of ppl it seems look for Dunhills as their pipe, different strokes for different folks. I found my birth year Dunhill on eBay after months of searching. I now have 3 in 3 classic shapes.
How did you search? Just putting in the year and tobacco pipe? Or by specific make?

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
I don’t get the obsession with birth year stuff. But thats just me.
It's not a need and not something I'm going to hunt the ends of the earth for. I do think it's kind of intriguing and charming and kind of endears you to the hobby even more, personally. Even to that end, I would think anything over $200 would be excessive. Only thing I would even remotely consider going over that price point for would be anything crafted in Calabria, Italy AND my birth year. That's where my father's family is from.