Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
I’ve done a lot of looking at the pipes on Altinay’s site, but I never noticed these filters till now;

Not sure I recall ever seeing a post here about them.

These look interesting, what’s the thoughts on these?

Hmm, I wonder what these might be like in a Briar pipe too? ?
Hello @PipeIT
Bowl filter is our new product.
You can also see them on Altinay Meerschaum Bowl Filters - https://www.tobaccopipes.com/altinay-meerschaum-bowl-filters/
There are also some reviews about them.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Diameter of top 15mm
Diameter of bottom 6mm
Height 10mm at lowest point, 12mm at highest (curved surface and could be sanded brown)

Thank you very much for taking the time to take measurements.

I have one Driway filter that fits the bottom of the Dunhill very well. I have a tube of smaller Driway filters (used and unused) that are smaller and rattle around more in the pipe. This is the larger one that fits:

IMG_20220619_180307.jpg

These are the measurements for the one larger filter that fits properly.

The diameter of the filter is 18.95 mm:

IMG_20220619_173005.jpg

The width of the button that sits up at the bottom of the chamber is 11.69 mm:

IMG_20220619_173034__01.jpg

The underside of that button is 12.17 mm:

IMG_20220619_173049__01.jpg

The height of the filter is 10.26 mm:

IMG_20220619_173108__01.jpg

IMG_20220619_172503.jpg

The smaller filters that I have a tube of measure as follows:

Diameter: 17.26 mm

IMG_20220619_172631__01.jpg

The top button width: 10.44 mm

IMG_20220619_172704.jpg

The underside of the button width: 11.40 mm

IMG_20220619_172731__01__01.jpg

The height of the smaller filter: 8.54 mm:

IMG_20220619_172818__01.jpg

By the looks of it, these Meerschaum filters will fit loosely and probably allow me to screw the bowl down all the way. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: OzPiper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Well i have a couple pipes i really like yet it seems no matter how much i dry (unless it’s bone dry) and how slow i smoke i still get some gurgle and it ticks me off, so I’ll give them a try, why not, site says good for up to 10 bowls so a bag of this used just when i smoke those pipes should last me a good long time.

after one turns black I’ll cut it in half so people can argue about it ?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Glad this wasn’t locked, I forgot all about this post...

I just started thinking about these again for my Radice Clear Bent Dublin with Baldo Baldo briar, to protect the bottom from burn/char.

So this is really about protecting the bottom, but keeping excess moisture out of the bottom in a fine pipe seems like a good plus too.

hmm 🤔

I just wish they weren’t so expensive, $20 for 10 chips. :(

From what I read on Altinay, 1 chip is only good for 10 bowls usage, so every 100 bowls would need to buy 10 more. :(

I would of assumed someone like @Said.ALTINAY would make these from leftover meerschaum scraps and could start selling these for $5 for 10 chips, 50 cents a chip which seems a lot more reasonable, than $2 a chip.

I was a bit shocked to see $20 for 10 of these chips. 😲

4Noggins has the small tin of Nording Keystones for only $1.90

@Chasing Embers I saw you mentioned this in another post;

I've used Akadama soil with better results. YMMV

Do you remember what was better about using Akadama, and by chance do you still use it? 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

I just started thinking about these again for my Radice Clear Bent Dublin with Baldo Baldo briar, to protect the bottom from burn/char.

So this is really about protecting the bottom, but keeping excess moisture out of the bottom in a fine pipe seems like a good plus too.

hmm 🤔

From what I read on Altinay, 1 chip is only good for 10 bowls usage, so every 100 bowls would need to buy 10 more. :(

I would of assumed someone like @Said.ALTINAY would make these from leftover meerschaum scraps and could start selling these for $5 for 10 chips, 50 cents a chip which seems a lot more reasonable, than $2 a chip.

Do you remember what was better about using Akadama, and by chance do you still use it? 🤔

Meerschaum Market has these at 5 for $6.99

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

hmm 🤔

Meerschaum is a filter so no use of using filter material in a filter. I used akadama in the early 2000s before I thought to pack wet tobacco more lightly just because nothing else was available locally. The granules can be purchased by granule size versus a bag of different sized chips.

Last edited:
Reactions: PipeIT

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The cone filters are pricey
Meer chips are cheaper
Nording Keystones are much cheaper as they are available in bulk packs
I have also heard of kitty litter and rice being used

Reactions: PipeIT
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
They actually work but they're a PITA. I tried them for awhile then stopped. They might work and be workable if you replaced them every 5 smokes or so. Leave them in too long, they get gunked up and are very difficult to remove. An added expense and issues not worth the miniscule benefit.