PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve done a lot of looking at the pipes on Altinay’s site, but I never noticed these filters till now;

Not sure I recall ever seeing a post here about them.

These look interesting, what’s the thoughts on these?

Hmm, I wonder what these might be like in a Briar pipe too? ?

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I’ve done a lot of looking at the pipes on Altinay’s site, but I never noticed these filters till now;

Sucker deal ! cray

• Haha
Reactions: PipeIT

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Usually not necessary if you dry out your tobacco sufficiently.

I started using them, along with Meerschaum chips and Nording Keystones when we had 3-4 months of almost non-stop rain earlier this year and it was night impossible to get tobacco dry enough.

They do absorb moisture and result in far less or almost no dottle.
But if you get your tobacco dry enough, pack lightly and don't puff too hard, you can get a good smoke without them.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I don't use filters in my meerschaums, but it I did I would use the balsa filters I make myself. Reason; they would cost a small fraction what those do and they do a great job. puffy

Reactions: PipeIT

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
These would work like a "button", and maybe improve/speed up coloring?
I don't use it for that purpose, so I can't speak from personal experience.
I imagine if it was left in place like a button, it would do that job eventually.

A button creates a "well" that acts as a moisture/tar trap.
The meerschaum filter absorbs moisture and tars and will slow down the colouration process somewhat.

Perhaps @condorlover1, @weezell or @ashdigger who have enviable collections of ancient meers might care to comment.

Reactions: TheWhale13
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

I'm intrigued by these—I recently acquired a birth year Dunhill to smoke on next year's birthday in February—it uses Driway filters and came with a not quite filled tube. If these fit under the bowl, I'd like to grab a bunch. Has anyone seen specific measurements?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thanks, I'll have to get my caliper out this weekend and measure the Driway filter and see if there's room for the bowl to screw down all the way. I might be able to lay the Meerschaum one upside down in the base. I suppose I could just screw the bowl down and drop the insert in as intended and treat it like a conventional pipe, but, where's the fun in that?

Reactions: Ahi Ka