PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I was inquiring about differences in filtering capabilities
I see. Can't tell you, I only have the pure sepiolite from White Elephant and the Dr Perl Jr's which are pure charcoal. I haven't noticed any difference between them, and, frankly, I think that measuring the differences would require equipment rather than just palate.

Personally, I prefer the White Elephant 100% sepiolite over the Dr Perl's because I've noticed that charcoal filters, when saturated with moisture start imparting a plasticky taste to the smoke. So, my main concern with filters is taste as well as tongue burn reduction; I really don't care about being protected from tar or nicotine.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I have filters, but rarely use them. The reason is because I find it’s easier to smoke slower and easier. Filters for me seem to require more draw and it just doesn’t work for me. Filters are a weird thing for pipes, IMO. I try to buy only pipes that don’t take filters, but have several that do so I felt compelled to have a supply. I will occasionally use one with an aromatic since they are usually pretty wet.

Ultimately, do what gives you the most satisfaction. You’re smoking it.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
This.

Contrary to many others, I actually prefer filters because they restrict the draw! ?
A tighter draw suits my strong sippuffing better. Filterless pipes give me more tongue burn for this reason.

Yeah, yeah, I know my technique isn't optimal, but it's how I smoke.
The optimal technique is the one you use that is best for you. Same with cigars. The earlier you learn this with these types of tobaccos - the better. It’s not a cigarette and rarely about nicotine. Yes, nicotine can be present but we each respond differently. It’s simply about enjoying it. As long as you do that - who can tell you what is right or wrong for you? Such a nuanced hobby.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
So far, my favorites are the balsa filters from Savinelli and the Brigham rock maple deals. But that's all personal preference. Medico filters in a cob for aromatics work pretty well. I'm not a huge fan of filters in general. Most pipes, except for the Brighams and aromatics car cob, get run without a filter.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
balsa filters don't restrict the draw by nature as much as I think people realize. Savinelli 6mm filter pipes (at lest the 2 I have) are very narrowly drilled from bowl to bit. It's tight even without the filter in it, compared to a more open drilling of 3.5-4mm.

I drill all of mine to 9/64 (3.57mm) with 6.5mm where the filter chamber goes. The different in draw restriction is significant even though both cases us the 6mm balsa. The full drilling dimensions play a huge role in this. Savinelli seems to drill to bowl around 9/64 but the end at the bit around 2.5mm.

My rough and possible incorrect calculations mean:

Savinelli - 6.5mm filter drilling is about 33.18mm of area. The triangle balsa filter uses about 18.3 area of blockage leaving about 14.88mm of area left for smoke to pass through. 9/64 drilling from the bowl equates to about 10mm of area which actually leaves some headroom before it hits the filter chamber. However, going all the way down to 2.5mm at the bit drops the area down to 4.91mm by time it is leaving the stem. By that calculation, it's actually the drilling to the bit causing the restriction, not the filter.

On mine - I go 9/64 from bowl to about 1 inch from the bit, then I stop down but I file out wide to get a small bit, but widen it to compensate for the change to maintain consistent volume. Even at 9/64, there's still some headroom based on the above calculations to go to 4mm all the way through and open the draw up even more. It performs like an openly drilled pipe as well with the filter in.

Reactions: Briar Brother

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Good morning,

To be frank, I'm completely new to pipe smoking (maybe smoked one 6 or so times) so I'm still in the learning phase and trying to read as much as I can.

My question is on filters... I am so far, inclined to use a filter. Maybe it's just my way of trying to curb future health concerns but I know that's controversial to some. I'm wondering, is there a huge difference in 9mm filters as far as brands/companies? Are they all the same? I currently have a Scottie pipe from Amazon so I've used the filters it came with in the box, but just received my Peterson 120 in the mail this morning. I won't have a chance to break it in until tonight but I noticed the draw was substantially different on the Peterson than the Scottie and wondered why that might be. It's also a PLIP where my Scottie is just a fishtail so I don't know if that changes things.

Is the draw difference just a difference in the filter? Is it the stem? Is one filter better than the other and the difference is just preference? Any recommendations of which filter I should look for vs steer away from.

Thank you in advance for everything!

-Nick
If using charcoal filters like the Peterson, install it correctly. Ceramic end goes towards the bowl. Lots of folks just assume either way works. If you do it the opposite, you’ll burn hot.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I only use filtered pipes. My reason is that it cuts back on the nicotine. I'm very sensitive to nicotine, but love pipe tobacco. So I use filtered pipes exclusively now. For a while I used both filtered and non filtered pipes and there was a huge difference in the nicotine content between the two. So I made the switch to just using filtered pipes. I use the Vauen 9mm carbon filters. I also use the Grabow filters in my Cobs, a Medico, and a couple of Grabow pipes. And yes, the Grabow filters help with the nicotine on those too. Although, my pipes that use the 9mm filters do a better job.
They don’t cut back on the nicotine Per se, but rather lower your absorption rate, as they limit the moisture which is much more easily absorbed by the oral linings of the mouth than a dry smoke.
But nicotine absorption also is greatly influenced by both ph, and sugar content. And of course, there’s the smoking method. Inhaling will yield highest absorption rates, but retrohale and French exhale will also increase the sinus exposure to nicotine absorption.

C

carolinasmokes

As a cob smoker I do use the Medico filters, not for moisture absorption, but for ash containment. Carter Hall smokes down to a fine dry ash and the filter keeps it out of my mouth. Dr. Grabow filters work in a cob also but are more restrictive on the draw than the Medico filters, I like an open draw, both filters will pass a pipe cleaner if needed and do not negatively affect the tobaccos I smoke.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I have two Savinellis, and that's all. The Mattone 601 is 6mm, the Miele 611 KS is 9mm. Both sizes of balsa filter work quite well, IMHO. Excess moisture is especially an issue for me because I puff on the faster end of the spectrum. I used 9mm charcoal filters by Adsorba on two previous pipes, but I never cared for them much. But these are actual "filters" to get out some of the tars of the smoke; they don't seem to do much for moisture control like the balsas do. So in that sense, calling the balsas "filters" is something of a misnomer, since they're not truly filtering the smoke itself, but that's a property that I'm not in need of. As with anything else...YMMV.

Reactions: fireground_piper

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Brigham, they tend to remove a fair bit of tar and moisture, you get a lot of smokes out of them, they don't impede the smoke at all, they dont impart any flavours onto the smoke.
Only downside is they do occasionally get stuck and become a real pain to remove.
For standard 9mm Filters, I use the Dr Perl filters by Vauen.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Best filter for me is no filter, but I occasional use the Savinelli 6mm Balsa filters, albeit hard to find recently due to material shortages, and their 6mm Charcoal filter.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Being a new pipe smoker, I am quite sensitive to Nicotine as well. I smoked a pipe for the first time in 8 years, and either I inhaled accidentally or some other component was involved?! I had shortness of breath, bad taste on tongue/breath and queasiness for 6+ hours after smoking. I’m very wary to smoke again, since I’m not sure what I did wrong?!
Have you used the meerchaum (white elephant) pipe filters before? Do these filters reduce nicotine or tar content? How many smokes can you have before you change the filter?
I replace the filter after each smoke. The 6mm paper filters you really should replace them with each smoke. The Vauen 9mm you might be able to get by with a couple of bowls, but I never do that. I've never used the meerschaum filters before. I've had really good results with using filters, as far as nicotine is concerned. It's made a huge difference for me. However, some blends that have a high nicotine content, I simply avoid. If you are interested in a blend and are concerned about the nicotine content, look in tobacco reviews and read a few posts. If almost every post mentions the nicotine kick, avoid that blend. Pay attention to JimInks posts in Tobacco Reviews. He will mention the strength in his reviews and I always trust his reviews.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
My favorite filter is Brigham as it has no effect on draw and a pipe cleaner can be run through it. Being able to clean, dry, and reuse them is great too.
9mm would be my second choice. I smoke a lot of aromatics and they greatly reduce any chance of tongue bite. Seeing how much moisture they capture makes me appreciate them.
Balsa filters are 3rd but they do capture moisture fairly well.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I gave a go with the new 6mm charcoal filters from Savinelli, first use did not make me want to reach for them. There was some draw restrictions and I think some flavor altering, though to soon to determine for good or bad. Still love the balsa.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

I'm a newbie and even I know using filters is like putting stabilisers on your bike lol