New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 18, 2020
Good morning,

To be frank, I'm completely new to pipe smoking (maybe smoked one 6 or so times) so I'm still in the learning phase and trying to read as much as I can.

My question is on filters... I am so far, inclined to use a filter. Maybe it's just my way of trying to curb future health concerns but I know that's controversial to some. I'm wondering, is there a huge difference in 9mm filters as far as brands/companies? Are they all the same? I currently have a Scottie pipe from Amazon so I've used the filters it came with in the box, but just received my Peterson 120 in the mail this morning. I won't have a chance to break it in until tonight but I noticed the draw was substantially different on the Peterson than the Scottie and wondered why that might be. It's also a PLIP where my Scottie is just a fishtail so I don't know if that changes things.

Is the draw difference just a difference in the filter? Is it the stem? Is one filter better than the other and the difference is just preference? Any recommendations of which filter I should look for vs steer away from.

Thank you in advance for everything!

-Nick

Aug 18, 2020
On occasion I use 9mm filters in some pipes that accept them. I use the Big Ben cartridge charcoal filters. They work just fine. Have used Stanwell cartridge filters, didn’t notice any difference.

As far as filters go, the Brigham maple filters are the best as far as I’m concerned. Of course you have to have a Brigham pipe...

View attachment 40055View attachment 40055

Excellent, thank you for the info! I'll have to check out those filers.

As far as Brigham pipes... what draws you to them or what do you like about them?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Better" is in the taste of the beholder. The health benefits are uncertain and unknown. The Europeans have taken to 9 mm filters in a big way. Savinelli balsa filters and the paper filters from Grabow and Medico are other widely used filters. Many pipe smokers just won't use filters. Most filter pipes will smoke fine without them, or if you don't want the filter, but want a little tighter draw, an adaptor can be used with most pipes. Then there are rock maple inserts, stingers of many kinds, and other moisture trap and filter type things, and you will be learning about there for the rest of you pipe smoking life. There should be a standard white paper that impartially explains pipe filters to the new pipe smoker, but because of commercial self interest, this will never be written or circulated. If you smoke with a filter, it may cause you to smoke more, in which case it likely defeats the purpose.

Aug 18, 2020
"Better" is in the taste of the beholder. The health benefits are uncertain and unknown. The Europeans have taken to 9 mm filters in a big way. Savinelli balsa filters and the paper filters from Grabow and Medico are other widely used filters. Many pipe smokers just won't use filters. Most filter pipes will smoke fine without them, or if you don't want the filter, but want a little tighter draw, an adaptor can be used with most pipes. Then there are rock maple inserts, stingers of many kinds, and other moisture trap and filter type things, and you will be learning about there for the rest of you pipe smoking life. There should be a standard white paper that impartially explains pipe filters to the new pipe smoker, but because of commercial self interest, this will never be written or circulated. If you smoke with a filter, it may cause you to smoke more, in which case it likely defeats the purpose.

That was the best description and insight on the subject I've heard so far. I might have to just try a bunch to find out which one I find better.

I've only been really into this for a few weeks and I don't plan on smoking more than once a week or so.

I'm interested in trying different tobaccos and enjoying them as a "treat," not creating a habit.

Thank you!

Reactions: mso489 and BROBS

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I use, Savinelli balsa 6mm filters and the Vauen 9mm charcoal filters too. I'm thinking of buying 9mm balsa filters for my 9mm pipes. I'm starting to appreciate the balsa filters more as time goes on. I have one Brigham pipe with rock filter and they're good too, just not a fan of the pipe I have.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The thing about filters is they stop you from pushing a pipe cleaner down the stem and into the stummel to remove moisture mid smoke. If you have been smoking too hot, this is such an effective way to bring the bowl back to pleasant that it meant I replaced every filter with an adapter years ago.

The only filter I still use is the Brighams maple one, which will still pass a pipe cleaner since it is hollow.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
filters have zero documentable or demonstrable health benefits. They just trap more smoke not legit filter or remove certain qualities but a percentage of total smoke. The smoke before and after a filter is just thinner but has the same percentages of stuff as unfiltered smoke. Basically you're restricting your draw making a simulation of smoking less tobacco at a slower pace.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
filters have zero documentable or demonstrable health benefits. They just trap more smoke not legit filter or remove certain qualities but a percentage of total smoke. The smoke before and after a filter is just thinner but has the same percentages of stuff as unfiltered smoke. Basically you're restricting your draw making a simulation of smoking less tobacco at a slower pace.
IMO even the activated carbon have "pellets" of carbon.. the smoke just passes around them. This really does nothing besides remove some moisture, but also creates it.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Whatever you do, don't waste a second on those Medico/Dr. Grabow paper tube "filters" - their primary effects being to diminish the draw in your pipe while not really doing much else at all in reducing moisture in your smoke. Stingers may condense some moisture, but that's just it - they also contribute to gurgle. I smoke Savinellis and MM filtered cobs without a filter or adapter, because I enjoy the free draw on those pipes without anything to block airflow.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Then there are these meerchaum chips, just for change of paceView attachment 40068
And the White Elephant are also available as 9 mm cannister filters:

I just got a 40-unit box and they seem better than Vauen's Dr Perls. They even have them in 6 mm versions for Savinellis and filtered cobs:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The thing about filters is they stop you from pushing a pipe cleaner down the stem and into the stummel to remove moisture mid smoke. If you have been smoking too hot, this is such an effective way to bring the bowl back to pleasant that it meant I replaced every filter with an adapter years ago.

The only filter I still use is the Brighams maple one, which will still pass a pipe cleaner since it is hollow.
Yup, but with a filter you're not s'posed to have such moisture problems in the first place, so you don't need to be running lint-dropping cleaners down the hole. Balsa filters are the best at soaking up moisture, BTW.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Yup, but with a filter you're not s'posed to have such moisture problems in the first place, so you don't need to be running lint-dropping cleaners down the hole. Balsa filters are the best at soaking up moisture, BTW.
Yeah, I like the theory but in my experience a filter wont actually stop moisture if I am chasing a toddler up a hill whilst clenching my pipe then I am going to get moisture regardless. So essentially it is parenthood which made for a change from filters to adapters.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, I like the theory but in my experience a filter wont actually stop moisture if I am chasing a toddler up a hill whilst clenching my pipe then I am going to get moisture regardless. So essentially it is parenthood which made for a change from filters to adapters.
But then again: it's hard to insert a cleaner down the hole when your hands are both occupied with holding the toddler!!
?

There are also some blends that are natural moisturisers too, though. I had some 7 Seas Royal last Sunday in a pipe with a balsa filter and it did leave a wet mess in the chamber: 9 hours after the smoke, when I emptied the dottle to clean it, the heel was all wet—not moist: wet.