PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
But then again: it's hard to insert a cleaner down the hole when your hands are both occupied with holding the toddler!!
?

There are also some blends that are natural moisturisers too, though. I had some 7 Seas Royal last Sunday in a pipe with a balsa filter and it did leave a wet mess in the chamber: 9 hours after the smoke, when I emptied the dottle to clean it, the heel was all wet—not moist: wet.
As long as its not a toddler leaving the wet mess....

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Good morning,

To be frank, I'm completely new to pipe smoking (maybe smoked one 6 or so times) so I'm still in the learning phase and trying to read as much as I can.

My question is on filters... I am so far, inclined to use a filter. Maybe it's just my way of trying to curb future health concerns but I know that's controversial to some. I'm wondering, is there a huge difference in 9mm filters as far as brands/companies? Are they all the same? I currently have a Scottie pipe from Amazon so I've used the filters it came with in the box, but just received my Peterson 120 in the mail this morning. I won't have a chance to break it in until tonight but I noticed the draw was substantially different on the Peterson than the Scottie and wondered why that might be. It's also a PLIP where my Scottie is just a fishtail so I don't know if that changes things.

Is the draw difference just a difference in the filter? Is it the stem? Is one filter better than the other and the difference is just preference? Any recommendations of which filter I should look for vs steer away from.

Thank you in advance for everything!

-Nick
I only use filtered pipes. My reason is that it cuts back on the nicotine. I'm very sensitive to nicotine, but love pipe tobacco. So I use filtered pipes exclusively now. For a while I used both filtered and non filtered pipes and there was a huge difference in the nicotine content between the two. So I made the switch to just using filtered pipes. I use the Vauen 9mm carbon filters. I also use the Grabow filters in my Cobs, a Medico, and a couple of Grabow pipes. And yes, the Grabow filters help with the nicotine on those too. Although, my pipes that use the 9mm filters do a better job.

Aug 18, 2020
I only use filtered pipes. My reason is that it cuts back on the nicotine. I'm very sensitive to nicotine, but love pipe tobacco. So I use filtered pipes exclusively now. For a while I used both filtered and non filtered pipes and there was a huge difference in the nicotine content between the two. So I made the switch to just using filtered pipes. I use the Vauen 9mm carbon filters. I also use the Grabow filters in my Cobs, a Medico, and a couple of Grabow pipes. And yes, the Grabow filters help with the nicotine on those too. Although, my pipes that use the 9mm filters do a better job.

Thank you so much! I'm completely fine with cutting back on nicotine as it doesn't affect me... (unfortunately I have a high tolerance to alcohol, drugs, narcotics, etc...) so I find myself drawn to things for legitimate enjoyment beyond a "need."

I'm thinking I may just stick with filters, especially if you see a big difference in nicotine between the two.

I'm mostly looking for the flavor and relaxation/enjoyment out of the experience. Not a particular buzz or anything beyond that.

alexander87

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2017
I started smoking only with 9mm filters about a year ago. Changed my pipe smoking. I had smoked without filters for about 5 years and always had tongue bite. Every single bowl. No matter how cool or slow I smoked it hurt. 9mm charcoal filters have 100% eliminated. To fix the right draw I just pack more loosely. Vauen Dr Perl charcoal filters are economical and work great. The Peterson filters are also good but more expensive. 6mm charcoal filters exist for Grabows and Medicos but don’t waste your time. The draw is just way way too tight. No amount of packing will make it smokeable IMO. Yes I lose some flavor but I’ve done back to back tests and I don’t notice that much of a loss. YMMV and of course this is one man’d opinion ?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thank you so much! I'm completely fine with cutting back on nicotine as it doesn't affect me... (unfortunately I have a high tolerance to alcohol, drugs, narcotics, etc...) so I find myself drawn to things for legitimate enjoyment beyond a "need."

I'm thinking I may just stick with filters, especially if you see a big difference in nicotine between the two.

I'm mostly looking for the flavor and relaxation/enjoyment out of the experience. Not a particular buzz or anything beyond that.
Ever since I was young I also had a strong tolerance to most things [alcohol being the exception - that took some dedication to get right :LOL: ]
At 14yo a mate and I often visited city tobacconists to buy exotic cigarettes like Gauloise, Temple Bar, Gudung Garam [clove cigarettes] Russian Sobranie for e.g., the stronger the better.

Before switching to a pipe over 10 years ago, I was a 30-40 cigarette smoker for 35 years.
Quit attempts were torture which is why I eventually switched to a pipe.

Once I had adjusted to the pipe and found on-line tobacconists and tobaccoreviews, I made a point of choosing blends with mild nicotine.
Now I'm rather sensitive to Lady N. [ Which I see as a positive. Now I smoke for pleasure rather than addiction]

Most of my blends are mild enough not to need a filter but for those that do I use and recommend the 9mm Vauen Dr Perl charcoal filters.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Being a new smoker, I would recommend that you experiment all around, including trying things without filters. If you like a filter, then great, by all means, use them. However, if you don't care for them, or (as in my case) don't find much of a benefit to them, it's one less thing you have to deal with.

Jun 9, 2018
England

I smoke 9mm filter pipes about 80% of the time. Just smoke whatever you find most enjoyable. If that's 9mm then cool.
I've tried all the 9mm charcoal filters available. From cheap generics to the more expensive brands. The 2 I use are Stanwell and Big Ben.

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I having been smoking pipe for about 10 months or so and most of the time with 6mm balsa wood inserts/filters. I have tried without them, but the tongue bite happened almost every time when I didn't have the insert in. Perhaps due to my poor skill when I just joined this hobby.

I second @olkofri‘s comment on balsa wood insert, they indeed reduce moisture in the smoke and make it more pleasant. I do not notice any significant reduction in flavour, so they work great for me.

Reactions: alexnc

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I'm late to the game, but I'm a fan of Brigham filters, but you need a Brigham pipe, which is a great requirement, they're my pipes. If you aren't interested in Brigham I've heard really good things about the savinelli balsa woods filters, I have some coming in the mail right now to try in my cobs etc, I think around 3 bowls a filter is manageable. I'll be honest ive never had a 9mm pipe so I've never tried the 9mm filters. My Brighams smoke awesome.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I'm late to the game, but I'm a fan of Brigham filters, but you need a Brigham pipe, which is a great requirement, they're my pipes. If you aren't interested in Brigham I've heard really good things about the savinelli balsa woods filters, I have some coming in the mail right now to try in my cobs etc, I think around 3 bowls a filter is manageable. I'll be honest ive never had a 9mm pipe so I've never tried the 9mm filters. My Brighams smoke awesome.
Wow, grammar..., they're my favourite pipes*
Great requirement as in they're a great pipe to own.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Also I should add that the Brigham filters are rated for up to 40 bowls smoked per filter, now I doubt anyone used it for even close to that many, but 10 is very reasonable, plus you can soak them in warm water and run a little brush through or whatever to clean them up a little if you want.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Also I should add that the Brigham filters are rated for up to 40 bowls smoked per filter, now I doubt anyone used it for even close to that many, but 10 is very reasonable, plus you can soak them in warm water and run a little brush through or whatever to clean them up a little if you want.
Yeah, these filters definitely last much longer than the others. I'll use em a handful or more times and then soak em and brush em and keep using em. I get a dozen and half or more smokes out of each one. I just wish I liked the pipes better.

Briar Brother

Lurker
May 10, 2021
Long Island NY
Being a new pipe smoker, I am quite sensitive to Nicotine as well. I smoked a pipe for the first time in 8 years, and either I inhaled accidentally or some other component was involved?! I had shortness of breath, bad taste on tongue/breath and queasiness for 6+ hours after smoking. I’m very wary to smoke again, since I’m not sure what I did wrong?!
Have you used the meerchaum (white elephant) pipe filters before? Do these filters reduce nicotine or tar content? How many smokes can you have before you change the filter?

Briar Brother

Lurker
May 10, 2021
Long Island NY
+1 on these, absolutely love them and use them 99% of the time.
I'm a big fan of those White Elephant Meerschaum 9mm filters - I suggest you try them. puffy
Do these filters reduce nicotine or tar content? How many smokes can you have before you change the filter? (I have Savinelli and Peterson p-lip pipes)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Do these filters reduce nicotine or tar content? How many smokes can you have before you change the filter? (I have Savinelli and Peterson p-lip pipes)
Can't say about the nicotine, as I hardly ever get nicotine from pipes, filtered or otherwise, but they do trap the tar and the moisture: I've seen that. Of course, how much tar exactly, I can't tell you, as I've no means of measuring it. I'm not that concerned about health effects of tar either.

I normally change the filter after every smoke. The balsa filters are sometimes not dark or moist enough to warrant this, but because I always smoke something different each time, I don't want to risk the filter imparting the flavours of the previous smoke to the new one.

With 9mm filters, they're s'posed to be changed after every bowl.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
But then again: it's hard to insert a cleaner down the hole when your hands are both occupied with holding the toddler!!
?

There are also some blends that are natural moisturisers too, though. I had some 7 Seas Royal last Sunday in a pipe with a balsa filter and it did leave a wet mess in the chamber: 9 hours after the smoke, when I emptied the dottle to clean it, the heel was all wet—not moist: wet.
I don't rate paper or Balsa filters. For a dry smoke without the need to remove moisture mid bowl, I use Stanwell 9mm carbon filters. For Cobs and other 6mm pipes I use Savinelli carbon filters as they never clog up in my experience and they give a dry smoke.