PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
To the extent that Amphora is an OCB, i certainly recommend the original, full aroma and Virginia. Folks like the burley too. I know that it is a new iteration, but for me it brings back memories of 50 years ago. Actually better.

Reactions: Sgetz and TravB

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I have tried several and found them lacking. Granger is almost okay. The only one I keep on hand is Chatham Manor.

Reactions: TravB

sss.sean

Lurker
Apr 5, 2022
I've recently been a big fan of Half and Half, since its flavor tends to lend itself to my favorite way of dealing with "oh no, I pulled out more tobacco to dry than will fit in my bowl": toss the extra into whatever open can I have nearby!
So every can of Half and Half I have starts its life as just Half and Half, but dies an all-sorts death of Half and Half.. and half and half and half and half.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
well I can't live without Five Brothers. Just a favorite period. I think Sail Yellow is really good but can live without it. And EGR and Mixture 79 are just two of my favorites although to be honest I don't really consider them codger blends more just unique aromatics. Except for the Sail Yellow these are all on my short list of blends I refuse to go without. I do not go a week without smoking any of these except the Sail. Also if any single one of those was the only blend I could smoke or get a hold of. I'd survive.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Match Walnut & C&D Pegasus fit great in my corn cobs and treat me well while setting on the back porch. The front porch is south-facing and far too sunny.

IMG_20220901_165901638.jpg

If I'm restricted to a blend that's been around for a while, Velvet because the topping is just fun. I prefer the newer "codger" interpretations, though.

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Opinions are like a certain portion of the posterior antimony, every has one and most of them stink. Accept advice from others not understand that it is worth what you paid for it. Decide what you enjoy and go for it...

Sep 20, 2022
My vote is for Prince Albert. I've only had the newer stuff. Here's my coffee analogy:

The OCB's with more toppings are like coffee with cream and sugar, or maybe with a flavored syrup, which is fine if that's your thing.

Prince is like a very basic, roasted medium, cup of black coffee. Not fussy, but also not a lot of depth; just a touch of chocolate that seems like it's not there. Suits me fine.

Probably true of SWR non-aromatic, which I tried a dried up old bag on vacation once and threw the rest out. I also would like to try other OCB's but the drugstores out here don't stock any pipe tobacco. Most of the pipe shops hardly carry any either. I order tubs of CA and Prince, and I favor the Prince.

Reactions: pistolero

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I thought everyone knew Carter Hall and Lane Ready Rubbed are the best.

SWRA and EGR. I also like Chatham Manor - a clone of Carter Hall with better grade tobaccos and a lack of a chemical aftertaste.

Really, this - Chatham Manor, and some other Russ codger blends, but I didn't consider them because they are more like "luxury" renditions of old codger blends.

• Haha
Reactions: Elric