PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Team,

Hello! Throw down time; please tell me what your favorite old codger blend is and why.

I’m trying to build up a good collection of easy smoking, good tasting, nice room note OCBs to always have on hand for quick home and out n’ bout piping sessions.

I’m looking forward to your replies…thank you!

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me…. the very best, most reliably consistent, pleasant and flavorful OTC pipe tobaccos are:

Sir Walter Raleigh (regular, non-aromatic)
and
Prince Albert (regular, non-aromatic)

That said, I also find each to be even better when purchased in the “pound tub” which is usually actually 14 ounces. I like the canisters (tubs) better than the pouches because occasionally a pouch may be more dry or more moist than I would like, and I then need to fiddle with the tobacco a bit to get it to my liking….. but the big tubs tend to be (for me anyhow) more consistent.

Finally, my guidance may need to be taken with a “grain of salt”……. both SWR and PA were the pipe tobaccos I first “cut my teeth on” when I was a kid first starting to smoke a pipe…. when I would secretly “borrow” pinches of the leaf from my Dad’s canisters he kept in a kitchen cupboard way back when, so long ago. ?. I loved both from the very first bowlful way back then and greatly enjoy both to this day.

TravB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
For me…. the very best, most reliably consistent, pleasant and flavorful OTC pipe tobaccos are:

Sir Walter Raleigh (regular, non-aromatic)
and
Prince Albert (regular, non-aromatic)

That said, I also find each to be even better when purchased in the “pound tub” which is usually actually 14 ounces. I like the canisters (tubs) better than the pouches because occasionally a pouch may be more dry or more moist than I would like, and I then need to fiddle with the tobacco a bit to get it to my liking….. but the big tubs tend to be (for me anyhow) more consistent.

Finally, my guidance may need to be taken with a “grain of salt”……. both SWR and PA were the pipe tobaccos I first “cut my teeth on” when I was a kid first starting to smoke a pipe…. when I would secretly “borrow” pinches of the leaf from my Dad’s canisters he kept in a kitchen cupboard way back when, so long ago. ?. I loved both from the very first bowlful way back then and greatly enjoy both to this day.
I snuck tobacco when I was a wee one, too! Ordering some up now. Thank you!

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Half and Half is a solid, no frills blend. Consistent and like a friend that doesn't let you down.

I enjoy Half and Half better than Prince Albert, as it is less harsh and more brandy flavored to my pedestrian palate.

I keep a 7 ounce coffee style can of it on hand for regular use and to use as kindling on stubborn flakes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Team,

Hello! Throw down time; please tell me what your favorite old codger blend is and why.

I’m trying to build up a good collection of easy smoking, good tasting, nice room note OCBs to always have on hand for quick home and out n’ bout piping sessions.

I’m looking forward to your replies…thank you!
Half and Half

All the still available codger burleys are good, again, since the original large tobacco companies that owned the brands sold them.

But Half and Half never had an era of cost cutting, from which all the other OTC brands suffered (and Velvet, the most).

That first pack of Half and Half I bought in 1972 smells and tastes like the last one I bought a week ago. The new Half and Half comes pressed into sort of a tobacco candy bar, but it’s the same as it ever was when you smoke it. Fifty years ago, in the foil pack, it was pressed into sort of a short brick shape, then.

Somewhere I think I read or heard that Half and Half is the same blend as American used for Lucky Strike unfiltered cigarettes back a century ago, only with a rougher cut.

Whatever they flavor it with, I’ve loved it the most of the OTC brands for fifty years.

Last edited: