PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Ordered, minus the lane. Where did you procure that?
I haven't gotten any in some time and don't think it's offered in pouches. A better option is Sutliff Match RR which can be bought by the ounce. I have pounds of the stuff and may actually be a tad better in my opinion. I actually got the LLRR in the scratch and dent section for a steal.

Reactions: TravB

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Kentucky Club ?
Middleton Cherry ?
Walnut ?
Sugar Barrel ?
Grew up with these blends. Would walk into the local pharmacy and select a tub. Kentucky Club was my favorite; but the others were darn good. The match blends taste nothing like the OGs. ** I could also go into Woolworths and grab a lime phosphate with a scoop of vanilla. Man; I miss the soda fountains serving up great ice cream treats.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Team,

Hello! Throw down time; please tell me what your favorite old codger blend is and why.

I’m trying to build up a good collection of easy smoking, good tasting, nice room note OCBs to always have on hand for quick home and out n’ bout piping sessions.

I’m looking forward to your replies…thank you!
Condor, St Bruno then Original (Walnut) Flake - ?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Granger, Carter Hall, SWR in that order. However, I still have some original Walnut and Holiday blends that I really like as well.
Those are the only three of the old "OTC" blends that I have had and would rank them in exactly the opposite order, for my tastes of course. However, a lot of that is because I can't seem to get much out of Granger. I have only had it a few time from a cob, so any suggestions on technique, etc. to hopefully better discover what it has to offer would be mich appreciated!

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Those are the only three of the old "OTC" blends that I have had and would rank them in exactly the opposite order, for my tastes of course. However, a lot of that is because I can't seem to get much out of Granger. I have only had it a few time from a cob, so any suggestions on technique, etc. to hopefully better discover what it has to offer would be mich appreciated!
Have you tried drying it out? Sometimes I'll scoop it straight from the tub, which is fine, but I seem to prefer it when it's been dried crispy

Reactions: kschatey

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
My vote is for the Revelation match blend from sutliff, a little bit of everything in there. Always an interesting bowl. Secondary vote for the Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride, all the MM pouch blends are great for the money

otm

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2020
Texas
Carter Hall, SWR Aromatic and I keep a pouch of Borkum Riff around as it was my first codger blend.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
If EGR counts then it is I think the best of the lot by far. I don’t really like any of the usual suspects.

I’ve never tried the Revelation match or St. Bruno both of which I think I might like.