PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Full beard since 2008. I've had good luck with Hoppes No.9. My wife likes the smell.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I just change the diesel oil in my beard every 100 hours, or whenever I need to change the fuel filters.

There's nothing like the smell of fresh diesel. 8O

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Didn't grow a beard in the 70's. Had a stash but even that was not heavy. No problem now. I am going to try the oil. I would like to see if it will keep my beard from getting sore when I rub it too much.

I've had a beard or goatee since I turned 16 and now I'm a few trips around the sun past 50. My beard and head don't seem any different to me, and I've always just shampoo'd and conditioned it all the same. Unless it affects my sanity, I've not noticed any I'll affects.

I'm not sure what beard oil or any of that stuff could do for me. I do have to crop it occasionally, as it curls in weird ways after it gets over a couple of inches. But, if I have to put oil on my face to prevent the curling, I'd just assume crop it as I've always done.
I did shave once, when my daughters were young, and they cried every time they saw me till it grew back, as did every one else, ha ha!

I do get told that I look much younger than I am, of which I'm grateful, even if it is a damned lie. These days, I treasure the lie, and avoid mirrors, ha ha

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Cosmic, beard oil used frequently will soften your beard but it will not straighten out that curl. If you are not experiencing dry skin or a beard that feels like straw in the winter time, there probably isn't any reason or advantage for you to use it. One simple, cheap way to see if there is any advantage to you is to buy a bottle of jojoba oil from a local GNC Store. It is made from natural plant seeds & oils, has virtually no scent or odor, is great for skin & hair (and anywhere else that needs a natural lubricant), is used in virtually everyone's beard oil and is about half the price! Try it; you (or your lady friend) might like it!
Most people say it like "ho - ho - ba" oil.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I've had this beard since 1970, but I never use beard oil--makes my chin break out. I'm like Cosmic--a good boar bristle brush really does the trick.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
I haven't shaved or trimmed my beard in last 2 years and man I'm loving it

I started using beard oil almost a year ago and since then I can't go back. Beard oil is nothing special. It's just a mixture of natural oils which provides the beard with the helpful nutrients to stay strong and healthy looking. I have tried many brands. The biggest difference is the scent. Most of them do the same thing. Just don't go very cheap as their oil variety are limited and you won't get the full benefit of all the available and commonly used oils for beard. I like beard brands four wise. Also heard a lot about a highly anticipated brand called Adonis & Venus. But never tried it yet.

For those who never tried beard oil I recommend trying a bottle at least. There is no harm in trying right?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Mine is down to about 3" now and I have been considering giving some oil a try. Although my picture suggests otherwise I have almost always had stubble or a beard. I have very rarely let it grow beyond an inch in length so never seen the need to use oil.
Now that there is more length in it than usual I have found myself wondering if using oil would help as it grows very thick and quite wiry. Also quite white in parts. (I am only going to be 33 in 10 days) Obviously oil is not going to change the white bits but I although it does not bother me I find it hard not to notice it happening.
Anyhow I guess there is only one way to find out if it would help and that is to try some. I believe seeing this thread has made my mind up on the matter. However, I can't see me liking oil on my face.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Just trimmed my beard all the way back yesterday.
It had gotten really full and my wife said she wanted to see my face again.
So, after some agreements on how it would eventually be, I trimmed it down to about a 1/2 inch in length.
I honestly didn't think I would care but I miss it and still reach for it occasionally. :(

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@cobguy, that's it will grow back again. maybe next time you shouldn't give in easy ;)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
@jazz
You really don't get oil on your skin. For the most part it gets absorbed by the beard hair. At least if you do get any on your skin it's not noticible and you would probably be using too much. I'm like you; I don't like the feel of girly lotions on my skin. Beard oil really softens your beard but it will still be wiry if that is the kind of beard you have. And if you choose to wear a longer beard it really seems to help protect it from the elements & things like coat zippers. I use it 2-3 times per wk & I can always tell when my beard is ready for it.

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
@johnnyreb, agree with whatever you said

the good thin about natural oils is that their composition is very close to our skin oil. So the whole idea is to replace the skin oils that has been washed off during shower with natural oils for nourishment and skin protection

these natural oils are good for both hair and skin and they get absorbed into them

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Give me 28 days and I have a kick ass beard. Sadly the Air Force has a zero tolerance for manly beard growth. The Gods laugh...
In other news, if I have a afternoon formation in dress blues I have to shave before attending because my 1500 shadow puts me out of regs. My face is not amused and makes me pay. ANGRY

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm overdue for a trim. I shaved mine into a Van Dyke for a convention in October (I was dressed as Othar Tryggvason, for any other "Girl Genius" fans), and then let it grow back in November and December. The beard oil has definitely helped during static season. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.