PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Oils are not enough to tame my beard. I also use the Honest Amish balm, expensive, and have had good success with Brylcreem.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I use Grave Before Shave balm smells great and tames the beast.
SS, I checked out their website as this was a brand I'd never heard of before. Does the bourbon scent Gentlemen's Blend really smell like bourbon? I've used lots of different oils & a few balms and you get kind of tired of spruce, cedar, pine & campfire scents after a while. Bourbon could be intriguing as long as people don't get the wrong impression! I like the Victorian motif and the Rebels Against Razors thing!
Capo's Alaskan Beard Oil & Balms are expensive but supposed to be good products. I'm debating on placing my first order with them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've grown a beard for about the last twenty years, which implies I shave it off after a bit, too. I keep it trimmed at about a half inch, using a Panasonic trimmer set at 9 or 10 on its scale. Never used oils, but shampoo, never soap, when bathing. (once a week whether I need to or not!)
Selling beard oil on the basis of growth is pure snake oil stuff. If it helps in some other ways, go for it. I'd tend to find the ingredients, and use alternate sources. (on the theory that all specialty products often cost several times their prinicpal ingredient).

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Grew my first beard while floating breaking ice in the north Bering Sea off Alaska in 1972 and kept it until the Coast Guard made who all shave in 1986. Grew it back after I retired in 1993 and still have it though it has gone from red to white. I trim mine once each spring and let it grow out so I look like Santa Claus by December. Real men don't use no stinkin' beard oil. We just grow luxurious full beards.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
@-jhonnyreb

I have never tried bourbon scent Gentlemen's Blend.I use the Bay Rum my wife says it reminds her of sandalwood with a hint of rum and the scent isn't overwhelming.
SS,

I did end up buying a combo deal of Gentlemen's Blend & a tee shirt, to try a different scent. It does have an undertone of warm vanilla (which must be the bourbon scent) & sandalwood. The vanilla quickly blends or disappears from the sandalwood, I think. Certainly not objectionable but pleasant and in the end probably smells similar to the Bay Rum, I'm guessing.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I did end up buying a combo deal of Gentlemen's Blend & a tee shirt, to try a different scent. It does have an undertone of warm vanilla (which must be the bourbon scent) & sandalwood. The vanilla quickly blends or disappears from the sandalwood, I think. Certainly not objectionable but pleasant and in the end probably smells similar to the Bay Rum, I'm guessing.
Sounds good, I will have to give that one a whirl.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I use an electric trimmer on mine once a week set to the 1/4"-5mm line, so about double the length of a stubble beard, then a safety razor to neaten up the jawline. Much lower maintenance than shaving every day, or tending to a longer beard. Plus it's just enough to camouflage the sags and wrinkles. People look at pics of me clean shaven from 5 years ago and say I look younger with the whiskers even though it's about half white.
I don't need to bother with special shampoos or oils.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am 57 and have had a goatee for around 30 years or so. I shaved it for a number of years when I began dating after my divorce as it is very grey and it makes me look ten years older. I grew it back about a 1.5 years ago when I took a break from the ladies. I have never used anything other than my shampoo when I shampoo my head. I normally keep it pretty short and was just saying to myself about half an hour ago I need to trim it. There were times years ago when I lived up north and in the winter I would grow it out to a full beard, but would shave it back to the goatee after only a few months because it would itch too much.

navypipe23

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2015
I've had a beard since I got out of the Navy. I use Tree Beard. My wife got it for me and it has a woodsy, piney smell. I use head and shoulders on it as well while washing what little hair i have left on my head.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Coconut oil on my mustache, which is longer than my avatar's mustache. Coconut & olive oils are used worldwide for hair & skin. Coconut oil has little if any odor, is great for cooking, & is easy to find with other cooking oils in stores. Keeps my mustache soft & my bald head glistening.

esterlyjason

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
Before going to beard growth it is essential for you to know why you need a good beard.Rather beard is great thing that would make a man look more masculine and matured with a grooming personality.

pipestoday

Lurker
Jul 1, 2015
I let mine grow when I get lazy and the itch is insane at the start. I found that a good beard oil does help in reducing itch and inhibiting growth actually. I still mostly like to trim it to a nice stubble though.

pipestoday

Lurker
Jul 1, 2015
You got me looking around and I actually found a nice beard care guide that might help, if you're still looking. I already have been trying a few of those things in there already but there's some other pieces of interesting info that I haven't thought of before.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
I make my own beard oil. you can find recipes online. also there are already some great beard oils on amazon if you don't want to bother. I go between the professional already made oils and my own every now and then.
my beard is soft and glorious!

emmaclark07

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
How did you made beard oil?? Which ingredients have you include? Can you share your recipes for beard oil? I have used so many oil but cant find proper result.

Status
Not open for further replies.