PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
WOW, never heard of beard oil. I've had my beard since 1972. I just shower wash, hand dry with a towel, and comb everyday. Never had any problems in winter, or summer.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
These guys are total hipsters but they do make good products. Back when I was sporting only a stache I was using their stache wax and pomade. Now I use their beard oil once or twice a week and Amish Beard Balm. I never use conditioner meant for hair or shampoo, the beard gets washed with Peppermint Dr. Bronners Castile Soap even though I have a general distaste for hippies. I was turned onto it by a long time beard guy and agree that it is perfect for beard washing.

http://www.brooklyngrooming.com/

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I never have been able to grow a decent beard! My facial hair just grows to sparsely on the sides.

Now, a mustache......that's a different story. I had a decent mustache when I was 13 years old!

I currently have a mustache and about a 3" goatee (even though the goatee is not quite as thick as I'd like for it to be).

It's always been frustrating because my Dad, and all the men on his side of the family, can grow awesome beards.

The ones on my Mom's side can't grow beards to save their lives! Mustaches, yes..... Beards, no.

My brother and I both struggle with beards, though admittedly, he can grow a better one than I can, but I have him beat on the mustache.

I've never heard of beard oil to be honest with you guys, but I might have to look into it a little further, though it probably wouldn't do me much good, lol!
By the way, I'm 31 years old, and my brother is 21.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Yes, but wouldn't his, er, "passengers" run the risk of falling off?"
Hunter, that's why they're called "friendly mutton chops"! The ladies just grab a handful.

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
I grow a beard for 3 years now. I never used anything to "help"it grow, I just trim it from time to time. Personally I don't trust that stuff, I prefer leaving things like that to nature.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Its nice to see how everyone varies in there beard care and/or maintenance. I've heard and read that you should never use product such as conditioner for your hair in your beard. The beard hairs are different then the hair on your head and the hair products and damage and dry out the skin for your beard. At least that's what I'm reading and hearing about.
With so many beard products available which I wouldn't have thought of before looking into the subject; its nice to see the different products people are using. I'll have to look into some of the others mentioned here.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
In case folks are interested, here's a supplier that was recommended to me by a fellow with a notable mustache that I met on the Steampunk Cruise:
Royal Shave
And here's the brand I've been using:
The Mod Cabin

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
MHCG,
Exactly. Never use regular shampoo & conditioner on your beard. It is just too harsh and will strip your beard and leave it feeling like straw. If you have a beard of .50 -.75" you might not notice the difference. When you grow a beard of 2 - 3" or longer, you will notice. When it comes to shampoo & conditioner I like Beardsley products but Bluebeard is just as good. I don't use bar soaps. When it comes to beard oil check the ingredients because jojoba oil will be among the top 3 ingredients. Beard oil is a high profit margin product and that is why everybody & their brother is coming out with their own and the truth be known, it's probably all coming from Biotech and they have just added their own different scent.
I buy product from these 3 mainly, and am always happy with service & what I get:
http://www.ebarbershop.com/beard-grooming-wax-sets-accessories.html
http://www.beardcareproducts.com/beardoil.html
http://www.growabeardnow.com/beard-cares/

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
PS: and don't waste money on any of the voodoo beard growth juice. You either have the genes or you don't. Since the hipster beard craze started the voodoo juice has just went wild. I know a young guy who was spending $160 per month on that voodoo for over a year trying to grow a beard. He was finally convinced to give it up.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"I mostly use beard oil from French fries and onion rings."
That ought to bring in the fat girls!

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Earlier in the year I was turned on to Honest Amish and I love their products. Great stuff! Recommend it.
http://www.amishbeardcare.com/Default.asp

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
PS: and don't waste money on any of the voodoo beard growth juice. You either have the genes or you don't. Since the hipster beard craze started the voodoo juice has just went wild. I know a young guy who was spending $160 per month on that voodoo for over a year trying to grow a beard. He was finally convinced to give it up.
Yep you either have the genes or you don't. No special cream or solution is going to make it grow any faster. Growing a beard will take some time and I'm prepared for that, and I'm also prepared for that time when it looks patchy but eventually it will come in. It just might take a year. LOL

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
Hipsters and hippies are not the same thing. See? :rofl:
v7qyw6.png

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I have used oil on my beard for a couple years, but rather than pay over the odds for a tiny amount, I make my own. If you use the web as guidance you will see that Argan, Jojoba and Hemp oils are popular. Just add essential oils to your likes. Woods, citrus and herbs etc make good smells. I'm 55 and my beard comes and goes, but is usually about 4". I use oil a couple times a week after showering, then comb and fiddle with my beard till its right.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"I have used oil on my beard for a couple years, but rather than pay over the odds for a tiny amount, I make my own. If you use the web as guidance you will see that Argan, Jojoba and Hemp oils are popular. Just add essential oils to your likes. Woods, citrus and herbs etc make good smells."
I'm going to market my own beard oil and add the aroma & scent from Molto Dolce. Cosmic says that's really good smelling stuff!

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Following on from a recent thread about a doctored photo and Molto Dolce, will you Photoshop a beard on for the advert?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
If Molto Dolce scented beard oil has that same effect on the opposite sex it should sell itself and I shouldn't have to advertise!

Status
Not open for further replies.