PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Those who claim that we don't get hot air or steam inside our mouth (I am lazy to go back to the 1st page and quote the sentences), then why do we feel hot air in our mouth when we puff like a freight train?
Hot air, yes, but actual steam, probably not. (Defining steam as the result of boiling water, so ca. 200º F or more.) (Seeing your breath in the cold air isn't steam.)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow WAY too much over thinking going on here.
1. Don't smoke that tobacco

2. Pick up a small sampler of some quality english or balkan style tobacco's (I'd say Va but they can tend to burn a bit hotter)

3. Small little puffs to barely keep it going.

4. Stop worrying about your puffing or cadence or anything. Pick up a book. Read it and try to not pay attention to the pipe.

5. You might need a few days off for your mouth to recover

6. Make sure it's dry enough that when you squeeze it with your fingers and release that it doesn't stay clumped together. If it was a VA I would say dry it until it's a bit crispy.

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
Well, technically, any "over-thinking" is too much.
It's like a phrase I hear a lot lately, "over-exaggerating" - like there's a right amount of exaggerating and then you exaggerate even more.
Am I now over-thinking over-thinking? I hope so!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
ha ha sure I believe there is too much exaggeration.
Man I caught a 75lb striped bass vs Man I caught a 375lb striped bass. One's almost believable the other is so far over the top nobody would believe it. :nana:

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
What I've been doing for speed is to take three deep breaths between each draw with a 5 minute break between three draws. That makes about one draw a minute and three over 8 minutes (I actually timed it after someone said I was smoking too fast). The pipe often goes out. But I think maybe my draw is too large. I completely fill my mouth with smoke. I puff puff, then take a slow, 3-5 second draw, then blow it out over another 3-5 seconds. I'm going to try the Carter Hall now.
It sounds like you're taking it plenty slow, but maybe the long 3-5 sec draw is what's hurting you? The breath smoking technique completely revolutionized my pipe smoking if you haven't heard about it yet. I'm thinking that what you experienced sounds more like bite than burn, but maybe give breath smoking a try? If nothing else it's EXTREMELY relaxing for me. I can get into a cadence and zone out for a good while and I have never once burned my tongue while smoking this way (That's saying a lot considering I used to pretty much live with tongue burn no matter how slow I tried to smoke)
The original youtube video on breath smoking by a guy name Alan Kerslake is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Sfg6EH9k
But I think Muttnchop Piper did a great job of explaining it, his video really helped me understand better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3vrBFnq7Xo
Good Luck!

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Wouldn't the stem get hot or even warm if the smoke was hot enough to burn your tongue?

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
Thanks @John, someone else mentioned that and I did look at a few videos. I noticed that every version of it was smoking faster than I usually smoke, and yes, I have pretty much decided that the long deep draws were much of my problem. Worse, I usually did a long, pursed mouth, puffed cheek expelling of the smoke (to keep it off my hair and clothing) which probably added greatly to the problem.
Also, since I healed up and waited (except for a couple of test puffs) almost 7 days, I started smoking again, using the same timing and shorter draws. Seems to be working much better, but compared to the 5 pipes I smoked that day (crazy, for a new smoker, I know), it's hard to tell what is helping.
I did notice that a bag of light brown, thin shredded tobacco I have that's marked "Virginia", stung sharply on the first puff. I emptied that out and haven't tried it again.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Anyone who has ever been near a campfire can tell you that smoke is irritating when you get it in your eyes, and it has little to do with the heat.
I would suspect the irritation of buccal tissues from smoke is the same thing. I've never heard anyone who has measured the temperature of pipe smoke claim it gets any hotter than body temperature.

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
@yaddy306 that's a great find, too bad the photos are gone.
While the shape is interesting (and I suspect that even a small expansion chamber would have similar results), the good numbers are on the standard pipes. Nothing close tothe 140ºF that most people consider the upper limit on hot coffee.
I still want to see a dissection of the stream, since it's possible that (in a standard pipe) there is an unexpanded core stream with a different temperature than the average. I didn't feel that on my finger with my simple tests, but it would be nice to know.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Short of smoking the tobacco you are using through a water pipe I doubt the "physical" aspect can be ruled out.

Likewise short of going into a physician's office and getting an allergy test can an "allergy" be ruled out.

Then it might even be a combination. In which case you are royally screwed.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
bprivateaerdric, I am really sorry for writing late and not understanding well, since English is not my native language. To my understanding, you lit a bowl and blew out through the bowl to obtain an information about the temperature of the smoke, am I right? It is not an acceptable measurement method if you did so.
I think we should focus more on condensation than the heat itself. The reason of the burn might be the heat exchange that happens while the water in the smoke condensates on your tongue (needs more research). If you get a sunburn, your body doesn't start hurting (the reaction of the body to the damage) until the evening, and the peeling process starts in a few days. I know that the sunburn is not caused by the heat but by the UV lights, the main aim here is to emphasize the body's reaction time. Nobody claims that the temperature of the smoke reaches to a degree that it can burn your tongue immediately.
Wouldn't the stem get hot or even warm if the smoke was hot enough to burn your tongue?
MM stems can get warm if you puff like a freight train.
as we all know, even coffee that burns our fingers doesn't really burn our tongue
Are we sure about that? Our tongues can handle 40C (104F) while our hands can handle up to 60C (140F).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I don't get tongue bite per se but I occasionally experience an uncomfortable tingling sensation on my tongue which very quickly disappears.
Often having a cool beer at hand helps :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Deniz- That just means you can't join the Tongue Bite Club! I wouldn't stress over that, though. Just like hot or spicy seasonings, we all have different tolerances.
Jvn- I doubt that water condenses out of the smoke stream onto our tongues. (But not sure either way.)

Status
Not open for further replies.