PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
Well, I did just go out and put a lit pipe in my mouth (a cobbit shire). After blowing sturdily for three long breaths (maybe 15 seconds of combined blowing after already puffing it hot),I finally got enough fire to make the stream feel a little warm to my finger. Not hot.
I can't find my cooking thermometer, one of the ex-wives must have it. But I'm guessing about 100ºF within 1/4 inch from the button. LOL, made a HUGE cloud of smoke!

May 4, 2015
Aren't you the same guy that started this thread with a scorched mouth?! Why are you eating burning bowls of tobacco? :lol:

May 4, 2015
They're terrible here too. I have a 5 year old not able to sleep and a Husky that's really struggling to stay calm.

Jun 27, 2016
I would not BS you, the condenser is probably the better analogy, even though it is not on the suction side. It would be interesting to rig up a pipe with multiple seal-able holes throughout strategic locations where you could place a temp probe. You would have to test and record each location though, maybe even multiple times! :puffy: :puffy: :puffy:

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
In 45 plus years of pipe smoking, I've never experienced the dreaded tongue bite...never from any blend of tobacco, wet, dry or goopy aro's back in the early days. It sounds nasty. Puffing slow must be the key and I often puff gently for a while and often let it go out and then relight. OTOH I see other guys puffing like a locomotive train going uphill. I don't think it matters what kind of pipe ya smoke either, it's all related to puffing cadence. Sip it, kiss it. Enjoy it.
Oh ! and congrats on spelling " tongue" correctly..probably one of the worst misspelled words in all of history. Too often I see tonuge or tounge. grammar nazi out.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
When I started smoking a pipe I experienced tongue burn and bite. Best solution, Dry Dry Dry tobacco. Anything aromatic needs to be tried again when you develop a smoking cadence. To be honest, I think your mouth will go through some type of adjustment. At least I think mine did. So it's not always a cadence, it's conditioning. Carter Hall is pretty forgiving. Try C&D Haunted Bookshop or An English tobacco. Nightcap or Gaslight comes to mind.

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
I will get tongue bite every time (despite smoking cool/slow) unless:
- I have a cool beverage (pref a beer) with a smoke
- I smoke with a meerschaum/clay pipe
or
- The sure-fire way to stop (for me) tongue-bite I smoke with a 9mm filter.
Good luck, I hope this helped

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The moister the tobacco, the more heat required to burn it, as well as with more moisture in the smoke stream, the hotter it can become and stay hot. (more heat is transmitted via hot water molecules than hot air molecules, and it stays hotter longer) Not sure it's even steam by the time it reaches the mouth.
Would that we had reliable hard data! Would also debunk the idea that churchwardens smoke so much cooler than regular pipes due to stem length. (They don't)

May 4, 2015
I remember having a discussion on churchwardens in the past regarding how the longer stem may make a difference, but it's probably insignificant. The speed at which the smoke travels in the negative pressure must be so fast as to make a few extra inches meaningless. That was my argument anyway. I'm going to set up an experiment in the near future.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Right you are! If the length of the shank/stem made a significant difference, no one could smoke nose warmers and everyone would be on church wardens or hookahs....

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
this all was good reminder me to buy an additional bottle of Biotene mouthwash,just to be on the safe side and yet, I do love the freshing taste of antiseptic mouthwashes, one thing I can't understand why these bright virigina tobaccos are still causig me occasionally toungue bite,never with Burleys, but yes more often after smoking Virginas some irritation might occure

noticing that some addition of perique or Kentucky dark will tame down the bitey character of yellow virginas

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Those who claim that we don't get hot air or steam inside our mouth (I am lazy to go back to the 1st page and quote the sentences), then why do we feel hot air in our mouth when we puff like a freight train?

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
I think the claim is that it's difficult to get burning hot smoke or steam. Of course it's going to be a little hotter, but even trying hard I was unable to burn my finger, and as we all know, even coffee that burns our fingers doesn't really burn our tongue.
I just don't think that by drawing every 3rd breath, and while not feeling any significant warmth, I managed to heat burn the whole inside of my mouth without noticing.
I will be happy to see any measurements you make of the heat in a pipe smoke stream that disagree with the actual claims that have been made. I love admitting when I have been wrong.

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
Well, as I wrote in the posts wherein I made that claim that the smoke was not burning hot :
I was tempted to go out and put the lit bowl of a pipe in my mouth and blow the stream on a cooking thermometer,
and,
Well, I did just go out and put a lit pipe in my mouth (a cobbit shire). After blowing sturdily for three long breaths (maybe 15 seconds of combined blowing after already puffing it hot),I finally got enough fire to make the stream feel a little warm to my finger. Not hot.
I can't find my cooking thermometer, one of the ex-wives must have it. But I'm guessing about 100ºF within 1/4 inch from the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.