Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Don't smoke

Don't eat pork, red meat, cheeseburgers

Don't drink

Don't - Don't - Don't - and you will live to be a hundred! Really? Live? By whose definition?

Anybody been in an old folks home lately, watching all those folks living the additional 5 years they gained by not doing whatever? If that is living I'll eat the wheelchair!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That is the dilemma, long life or a quality one? The two are not mutually exclusive. It is hard to achieve both though.
I have seen and explored some residential, "old folks" campuses that are very attractive, golf courses, excursions, etc. with a lot of lively people around. My favorite was in upstate Illinois, it had a large, stocked pond on the golf course. Now, full-time care units? I believe I'd consider gargling my gun before agreeing to settle into most of the ones I've seen.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Can't agree with Doctors . . . I've seen their work. They don't pontificate, they fix broken people. They do it without recompense. If they have something to say, they've damned well earned the right.
Most doctors do their work based on what pahrmeceutical rep gives them the best kick back. They've earned the right to be distrusted because of how much they've over medicated the American people.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
lord, have you ever been seriously injured or wounded? Ever even seen what that is like?

Ever dedicate 11 or more yrs to your education in anything beyond HS?
I didn't think so.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've dealt with doctors for years due to epilepsy. On and off all kinds of meds that had my weight go up and down like a roller coaster and had me battling depression while on them. Since I've weened myself off the meds and simply use a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea I haven't had any epilepsy problems. Clearly all those meds they prescribed weren't the answer, just something to line their pockets through kick backs.
I'm not an idiot, if I had a heart attack or something yes I would go to a hospital and be worked on by a surgeon and be grateful for it. I just hate GPs and all the needless medication they put people on instead of actually finding out the cause of the illness and curing it for good.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Thank you. I appreciate the response as it helps me see your perspective. I still think you are painting with a broad brush, especially to hate all GPs, and attribute all their treatments as purely mercenary. How many thousands of GPs have you actually had contact with?

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
2627693.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does anyone remember the big cranberry scare in the 60's? Just before Thanksgiving, the US one that is. Turns out you'd have had to have eaten 600 pounds of the stuff every week, or something like that in order to increase your risk. Rats!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Sorry to hear about that, lordofthepiperings. I agree with you most of the time no meds is better than the stress of meds.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
At one point, as I recall, it was salt. WE WERE ALL GOING TO DIE IF WE ATE HARDLY ANY SALT! Turns out, as I remember, 10% had a real problem-but they thought it better to say EVERYONE because if they said just 10% - the rest of us wouldn't listen. Years later I recall a page eleven-type retraction and confession. Sure. I trust them.
Plugugly

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Most doctors do their work based on what pahrmeceutical rep gives them the best kick back. They've earned the right to be distrusted because of how much they've over medicated the American people.

I've dealt with doctors for years due to epilepsy. On and off all kinds of meds that had my weight go up and down like a roller coaster and had me battling depression while on them. Since I've weened myself off the meds and simply use a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea I haven't had any epilepsy problems. Clearly all those meds they prescribed weren't the answer, just something to line their pockets through kick backs.
I've started a reply 3 times now only to start over again, so I will only say this: I have real compassion & sympathy for anyone who suffers from a neurological disorder from which there is no known cure and the most common treatment is prevention thru medication. I applaud anyone under those circumstances for taking charge to a degree, of their own treatment in an effort to find a combination that works for them; would even go so far to say that it is their responsibility to do so. But your comment about doctors working with pharmaceutical reps on kickbacks to over medicate & increase sales is not substantiated by anything & uncalled for. My apologies if I have offended you.

Who cares about the WHO? and their stupid pinball wizards breaking guitars and ripped blue jeans...
Didn't they also release a report that said that cheese was addictive, like just a few days ago? cheesewiz-crackheads, bacon poisoning, and what's next... soap causes skin cancer?
Screw the WHO, I always preferred Grand Funk Railroad anyways. Idiots!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry to hear about that, lordofthepiperings. I agree with you most of the time no meds is better than the stress of meds.
Thanks. I'm doing much better these days.
I've started a reply 3 times now only to start over again, so I will only say this: I have real compassion & sympathy for anyone who suffers from a neurological disorder from which there is no known cure and the most common treatment is prevention thru medication. I applaud anyone under those circumstances for taking charge to a degree, of their own treatment in an effort to find a combination that works for them; would even go so far to say that it is their responsibility to do so. But your comment about doctors working with pharmaceutical reps on kickbacks to over medicate & increase sales is not substantiated by anything & uncalled for. My apologies if I have offended you.
I'm not offended. It's just the only thing I can think of as to why, at least in my case, doctors have only ever put me on medicaiton and haven't thought twice about trying to find a cure for the situation instead of just treating the symptoms.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Now, full-time care units? I believe I'd consider gargling my gun before agreeing to settle into most of the ones I've seen.
Absolutely, Warren. I had to put my dad into a center (best one in my area) for 4 months the first of this year. I take care of him usually but he had some problems that called for 24 hour nursing availability. I spent time there throughout the day and night. I learned it makes a big difference to get the staff on your side. My dads is a pretty good old codger. Most folks have always liked, Wally. He is 90 and his mind is still pretty good, but the average person I spoke with and helped there was catatonic, crying, or wished they could be some where else. I could not wait to get him out of there. You never know how illness is going to effect you in later life and there are obvious consequences to abusing your body, but I have not problem now with going on to my judgement at an earlier than nursing home date. :!:

So don't, don't, don't, does not deter me much anymore unless it is from a an authoritative source I respect and believe in.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I've been sprinkling bacon bits on top of my Stonehaven...should I be concerned?
You guys need to try Russ's Vermont Meat Candy from Hearth and Home over at P&C. Bacon, Bacon, Bacon :puffy:
Burley, Dark Fired Kentucky, Virginia!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
In the back of my mind was the fact that my parents cared for me before I was able to do anything for myself. What goes round comes round. Raising young, at the beginning of life with hope for he future, is different from caring for older parents. The hope for the future is not there, you are simply easing the departure. Hopefully a departure graced with as much dignity and love as possible. It's a debt that should be repaid with interest.
You are doing good oakie. Many do much less with no regrets. Sad.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've been smoking bacon for years, I have a pipe set aside just for the occasion. Now the bastards are after that habit too!

Status
Not open for further replies.