PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I love my Stanwell Army Mounts, unfortunately they are not true Army mounts. As mentioned earlier in the thread, research before purchasing as many pipes are Army mount in appearance only. Tobacco Pipes shows their pipes broken down so you can see the tenon. Not a ton of options for true Army mounts.

Reactions: edger and SaxonX

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll be heading to a weekend mil-sim event upcoming and would like to bring a pipe for what downtime may occur! The need to break down a pipe whilst hot may arise, so I wanted to inquire about army mounts, what about them makes it so they can do so without damaging the mortise and tenon? Are there specific appellations I should look for that designate a pipe as such, or what should I look for when choosing this purchase? I'll likely bring a cob or two I don't care much for, but was hoping to snag an inexpensive briar to bring that may fit the bill that won't suffer too much from breaking it down after it gets hot, and could enter the fold of my current rotation.
Pretty much every British factory turned out military mounts. What distinguishes them from regular pipes is that there’s no conventional tenon/mortise joint.
Rather, the stem tapers into the mortise, making disassembling fast and easy under fire.
The joint is further strengthened by being capped with either a sterling or plastic cap, called an “olive” due to its shape.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Pretty much every British factory turned out military mounts. What distinguishes them from regular pipes is that there’s no conventional tenon/mortise joint.
Rather, the stem tapers into the mortise, making disassembling fast and easy under fire.
The joint is further strengthened by being capped with either a sterling or plastic cap, called an “olive” due to its shape.
I had no idea that the cap has a name. Good to know. 👍

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I love my three Peterson System pipes with the army mounts. So easy to pop off the stem and run a pipe cleaner down if I get a little clog, as sometimes happens near the end of a bowl. I keep Q-tips handle for swabbing out the system well.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My Savinelli Dry System 2614KS and my Peterson Aran Irish Army 68 are almost 40 years old and still look fairly new. I would recommend the rusticated finish for ultimate durability in outdoor environments though. Can't beat them for a working pipe.

Reactions: timelord and SaxonX

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Army mounts are cool, the metal work and all. I can't imagine many pipe smokers dismantle them under fire, but it is a romantic notion, as long as no one is shooting at you.

Otherwise, for portability, a lot of shorter pipes fill the bill, and some of them have substantial chambers despite their size. Pocket pipes aren't always pocket-sized in their chambers.

Some complain with shorter pipes about getting smoke up their noses, but I think a person really has to be puffing wildly to have that be a problem.

MM cobs makes some fine short pipes with big bowls, but there are many briar pipes that also fill that bill, both moderate priced and up-market models. I have a lovely Caminetto Hawkbill briar that is short but has an ample chamber.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Military mounts are a tad sturdier than non, and spigots more so. But an occasional breakdown with any pipe has never been a problem with me. Simply avoid doing so if the pipe is very hot. And gently; no side pressure.
I agree. The real rule in my opinion and experience is that you should never fight the stem to get it out or in. If it's sticking more when hot that's when they break.
Many of the pipe rules are over stated. I think because they know what kind of people we are and that we'll fudge the rules a little bit.
My one army mount though does really demonstrate to me that it prevents any extra tension when the pipe is hot. I.e. the stem always comes out just as easy no matter how I smoke it or what the weather is like.