PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Clovis

Lurker
Jun 8, 2020
I'll be heading to a weekend mil-sim event upcoming and would like to bring a pipe for what downtime may occur! The need to break down a pipe whilst hot may arise, so I wanted to inquire about army mounts, what about them makes it so they can do so without damaging the mortise and tenon? Are there specific appellations I should look for that designate a pipe as such, or what should I look for when choosing this purchase? I'll likely bring a cob or two I don't care much for, but was hoping to snag an inexpensive briar to bring that may fit the bill that won't suffer too much from breaking it down after it gets hot, and could enter the fold of my current rotation.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The army mount bit is tapered where it enters the ferrule, so repeated wear from being twisted in and out is accommodated by that taper. Not very well stated, but that is how they work. As I said before, the “fake” ones have a normal tenon and they can break and/or wear down from repeated removal of the bit. I have three at present, all Petersons, and I love them. Good luck!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Peterson Irish Army is the historical standard. Others make them like Stanwell and Savinelli, but there are some that look the part but have actual std stems. Be careful!

Beware the fake army mounts! Peterson has real ones at all price points, and I have enjoyed several of theirs.

Stanwell has several fake ones at the lower price ranges. And the only real army mount or spigot I have found in the modern Savinelli lines are their Dry System pipes, which are basically Peterson copies.

For affordable ones, I’ve personally gone with Peterson, but with a little extra cash (check Al Pascia) there are some Chacom spigots that look really quite nice. Haven’t tried them, but they’re on my list.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Its worth looking at the Peterson Derry range they all have army mounts they smoke really well and can easily be broken down when hot with no problems.

Reactions: yanoJL and edger

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have one army mount pipe the little one. Ironically last night I had to take it apart to move a piece of tobacco out of the hole at the bottom of the chamber. It was so convenient and didn't get in the way of the smoke at all. It's one of those times where a few seconds can make a big difference in relaxation. It's not critical but it still helped make the smoke more fun.

Reactions: edger