Are You Purchasing More Or Less Tobacco Currently?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

More Or Less Tobacco purchases?

• More

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Less

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Same

Votes: 33 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Much less, although I did stock up prior to all of this happening. The writing has been on the wall legislatively speaking. Now I only buy stuff that's very deeply discounted. The other day I got 2 tins of plum pudding special reserve for $20. What a steal for one of my favorite blends.

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Much less, although I did stock up prior to all of this happening. The writing has been on the wall legislatively speaking. Now I only buy stuff that's very deeply discounted. The other day I got 2 tins of plum pudding special reserve for $20. What a steal for one of my favorite blends.
Wow, that’s a great deal. Is the same deal still available? Please share your source if it is, if it’s online and still happening. Thank you, sir.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Can you elaborate? We have been to move to Canada from the US.
Obtaining tobacco when you live in Canada is a little bit more difficult. You can buy from outside of Canada, but risk customs hitting you with tax that is normally of equal value of your total bill. If you buy tobacco here, a 50g tin will cost you 40-50 dollars. If you have alot of spare income to blow, none of this will concern you.

• Sad
Reactions: dcicero and olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You can get a book that teaches you. Back in the early eighties I could do under a minute by following the heuristics in a book. I think I was 11. Our school had competitions. It was how we were going to beat the USSR to Mars.
Funny thing, when I was a kid, sometime in the Cretaceous, my dad bought me a little book titled "Recreational Mathematics" that was originally published in the Soviet Union ?. It had all kinds of interesting and fun applications of math there, including puzzles and cyphers.

Reactions: Casual

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Are you guys concerned about buying bulk right now? I was craving some 1-Q, but I'm not sure. I saw in the good will donate toby thread that sending bulk/jarred was discouraged.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Funny thing, when I was a kid, sometime in the Cretaceous, my dad bought me a little book titled "Recreational Mathematics" that was originally published in the Soviet Union ?. It had all kinds of interesting and fun applications of math there, including puzzles and cyphers.
Logic, repetitive algorithms, and permutations definitely apply.

Umberto

Lurker
Apr 11, 2020
You know, living in Canada is such a drag sometimes. Especially if you like tobacco
Whole leaf brother...just order the raw leaves and blend yer own...even if you don't do much you could get a full pound of the Latakia and use it sparingly in blends. i find my home made tobacco experiment is really fun and education.

When I was told you could have too much perique in a blend, I totally scoffed. But that first bowl was OMG nicotine head spin, so fun. I suspect you could cut tins with some raw leaf to extend the flavor profile further of your favorite existing blends. The whole leaf lemon virginia in it's raw form is rather mild.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Wow, that’s a great deal. Is the same deal still available? Please share your source if it is, if it’s online and still happening. Thank you, sir.
It was on cigarbid. They have pipe tobacco tins, and some times you can get pretty lucky. I like to bid on a few every time I buy more cigars.

Reactions: Razorback

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I have a stash of every type, but not make and model for every tobacco. I still keep a large amount of my daily smoke and add to that stash when I can IN CASE THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT. The governor of virginia for example despite voter wishes is reported to be mandating a huge cigar and pipe tobacco tax, and my local tobacconist will likely fade away. I still suspect we will have to hoard and hide one day like prohibition.

Daily smoke for me is BCA.

Reactions: 3rdguy

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Whole leaf brother...just order the raw leaves and blend yer own...even if you don't do much you could get a full pound of the Latakia and use it sparingly in blends. i find my home made tobacco experiment is really fun and education.

When I was told you could have too much perique in a blend, I totally scoffed. But that first bowl was OMG nicotine head spin, so fun. I suspect you could cut tins with some raw leaf to extend the flavor profile further of your favorite existing blends. The whole leaf lemon virginia in it's raw form is rather mild.
I have been so tempted to go to my local farmer who grows it and determin what he is growing and beg for a leaf or two.

CircleK

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
I’m just beginning here on my pipe journey but I would say I’m having to spend more frugally. I lost my job because of the lockdowns and stuff so I have to be very selective on what I do buy. This too shall pass and I can’t wait to spend freely!

Reactions: 3rdguy

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Probably less but not due to any external factors. More of a desire to sample what I already have.

But I'm in a shopping mood these days. Somebody sell me some burley blends. :col: