Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It's a shit system, Ash, but trust me, nobody wants the CEO and CFO deciding what maintenance is worth paying for and what is not!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Couldn't agree more! You want some involvement/regulation/oversight/controls in these matters , what they call limited government, what this country was founded on. But as I see it, the problem now is too MUCH regulation of everything. The government gets in with both feet and takes over completely. The Fed is supposed to fundamentally be in charge of ONE THING: National defense and security. Check the Constitution. All other powers not enumerated are supposed to be up to the states.
These are the people who built a gas station over in Afghanistan or somewhere, and spent enough money to build something like FORTY gas stations. I don't need them telling me I cannot smoke in my own home. Go worry about something else.
No, the problem is absolute power. My history book calls it: Fascism. The TSA has absolute power. At the wave of their hand, their agent can ruin your life. And the airline was given absolute power. Fear of non-compliance drives many to do stupid things on BOTH sides of the law. The very fact that resisting (even questioning) an airline agent is a FELONY? Used to be that you were a felon if you committed a really terrible heinous act. Now the law is used to beat people over the head in a huddle of fear of noncompliance.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
This just gets better and better. I was just checking out an online USA Today article on this mess, and it featured a great photo of "Asian-American" and "Arab-American" groups protesting police brutality at O'hare. I realize everyone is in a big hurry to jump out in front of the "I'm being discriminated against" bus, but seriously? This is at best an extremely tangential Asian-American issue, but Arab-Americans? What the hell is the connection there? Maybe I should get my Polski brethren together and protest, based on the grounds that this guy had a kielbasa sandwich for lunch the week before the incident. God, I need to get on Youtube and watch old footage of cops beating the shit out of hippies to soothe my aching soul.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
More rules, more problems.
I don't want to get this lovely thread closed, but, we live in a police state. It has been creeping up on us like a frog in a slowly boiling pot of water.
If only someone had written about this tendency... it was in a book called The Republic, maybe.
Oh well, my memory is foggy due to lack of Royal Yacht.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
What the hell is the connection there?
We are all victims in America!
ITMT, United has issued a full refund to all of the passengers of that flight for the trauma and inconvenience they suffered and the Doc has hired an attorney.
Seems he was going to settle with just getting a full refund and apology from the CEO. Now that everyone else is getting that too, he is suing that all the other passengers get a beating.
character_stimpy2.jpg

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
This was a phenomenal failure in PR on the part of United that will be a case study of how not to respond to an incident for decades. Go to court, win or lose, United already lost. This is the stuff of corporate nightmares. Pepsi is happy, though.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
The problems for United are just beginning. Google Geoff Fearns and read his story. He was in first class and forced out so another "higher priority" passenger could have his seat. What a mess. Reminds me why I haven't flown in 7 or 8 years.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
In some ways the response to this episode is a bit surprising. But when you stop and think about things, it really seems to have kit a nerve with most of America. It's been a topic of discussion with the folks @ the office, out on the golf course and it seems like you can't listen to the radio or watch tv without some commentary, be it another humorous jab @ UAl & the Goon squad, or folks up in arms about the atrocity perpetuated on an ordinary citizen.
On the airplane forum that I've been on for 8 or 9 years, it's already reached 45 pages and almosts 700 posts.
Not trying to make this political, but I for one am a man that has grown increasingly frustrated with government over reach and the apparent blind willingness of our citizenry to accept it all as "keepin us safe" (thinnk TSA, IRS, FDA, ATF, etc...)
Regardless of where your opinion falls on this matter, I think we're gonna see some changes from the airlines and airport police/security. Not to mention the predictable copycat behavior surely to exhibit itself on future flights.
Sadly, all of this could have been avoided if all parties involved had simply observed the Golden Rule.
Here endeth the preachment.
Dino

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I only see it getting worse. Why ? No resistance.

How many times have we witnessesd senseless beatdowns(and killings) from authoritative figures?

And it continues to escalate.No changes for the better. None. Just more of the same.

And lawsuits do nothing to stop it.

Learn to lick the boots of your masters. Or else. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.