PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I started getting robot requests for friending, even on relatively innocuous linkedin, I knew I didn't want to be on social media platforms, other than this one, if it is a social media platform, which is debatable. Anyone remember My Space? The first time I encountered an entry (I wasn't a member) with the music and personal info, I thought it was not pleasant. I felt like I had entered a teenager's bedroom without knocking, which in effect I had. Stay away from that! Unless you're a parent compelled by duty. I think My Space is gone, or effectively so.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I agree, this forum is a great way to have involved pipe conversations without brazenly throwing it in the feed of people who don't care and aren't interested. The Facebook forum that I am most active on is set to private for the same reason; our posts don't show up in our friends' feeds.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What may be happening is that THIS forum is so great that all of the other pipe forums suck in comparison.
He has a point there, although I would argue that this forum has attempted to have a convivial atmosphere instead of controlling people exclusively like other pipe forums. On Reddit, the "site culture" (baristas) dominates all discussion and makes one afraid to express an opinion which might counter the hive-mind; other forums are more explicit, or are dedicated to defending those they perceive as underdogs, which quickly results in those underdogs taking over the forum and, because they are sensitive to some ideas, creating a type of Stalinesque group-think.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I agree with nevadablue that "the death of specialized forums like this one is caused by the off-topic crap." People seem incapable of not making political comments even when they know they are not allowed. One person writes something provocative and that opens the floodgates. And yeah both myself and nevadablue have been part of the problem.
So just a reminder, if I may: let's all remember that "we" in this case refers only to the fact that we are pipe smokers. In all other respects we are as different as any human beings anywhere, coming from all ends of the political spectrum, and representing many races, nationalities, religions, genders, sexualities etc. There's no reason we should be expected to get along about anything outside our narrow area of shared interest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree. Somehow this Forum has left room for a variety of people to participate regularly without feeling defensive. We have people who only smoke the finest artisanal pipes, some who specialize only in particular brands, some who are talented carvers, a number who smoke only MM cobs or inexpensive briars, some who have a depth in pipe history, and on and on. We seem to take an interest in others' projects and perspective and not feel threatened that we aren't usually on the same page. This is that rare recipe for a good conversation. It doesn't exist much of anywhere, least of all diner parties or social picnics etc., where it often becomes clear that some people talk comfortably and the rest listen, either by habit or by subtle power plays. And only some opinions and viewpoints are acceptable. A sense of balance, listenership, generosity and fair play, plus some concept of self-restraint is required for real conversation. Mostly, this doesn't happen in life. Enjoy it while it's here!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I think some are dying. There was a great one for World of Warcraft that folded.
I don't think this one will. The very reason many grouse about being reined in is what will keep this going. It is work for the mods, and it will result in the stray odd banning when someone grossly oversteps, but this forum is comfortable. Like a rocker on the porch where you can smoke a pipe and watch the sun set on a warm day.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
I don't use Facebook, but i did try to join a couple of UK pipe smoking forums the same day i joined this one. The first one i am still waiting for a verification e-mail and the second one i was granted access to post late last night, problem is i have to wait for a moderator to deem my post acceptable, don't know how long that will take.
Wiz

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I will throw my 2 cents in.
What people seem to be overlooking is that 'social media' is not just facebook and Twitter its almost everything we do on our computer/phone/tablet. This forum itself is social media. A chat room is social media (do they even have those anymore?).
So is social media killing forums? No, but as social media changes so do how we interact with it. I'm young enough where I should have facebook and Twitter but I don't. But if I did I would probably still be on here posting nonsense and newb questions. Why? Because this format works for this type of hobby.
I was on vwvortex.com for years and years. I recently went back on to try to sell some parts and it was a ghost town. Its a younger mans hobby and thus its facebook and Twitter presence is stronger now.
Some forums just naturally migrate to other forms of communication.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
...that all of the other pipe forums suck in comparison.
I would have to respectfully disagree, Pipe Smoker Unlimited Forums is a great place, with an interesting group of international members. Actually quite a bit of crossover with members at both PSU and here.
Full Disclosure: I'm a Administrator/Moderator at PSU. :)
http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/forum.php

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m with Dave (Dmcmtk) as I am also a regular on PSU! We’ve gotta great bunch over there and it’s compatible with Tapatalk, making it very fun and interactive while viewing from your phone.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm also on the PSU and the Pipe Smokers Forums (I'd say that forum is currently the most active).

I'm also on a few Facebook pipe groups, but only closed groups. I don't like the Facebook for lack of continuity of a subject, like a subscribed thread allows.

I was surprised at the number of forum members who do use their phone or pad type device for accessing the forum.

Jun 27, 2016
mikethompson VMG is also a great example of how to screw it up when monetizing. You can't browse there anymore without logging in, unless you like getting constantly spammed with audio and video ads on the desktop, or some stupid mailing list pop-up on the mobile. That's mainly why I don't go there anymore. 9 times out of ten, I can't be arsed to log in, so I just don't bother at all. I still have an old mk3 VRT with a bunch of goodies though. =)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
There are already pipe forums that allow no "off topic crap". Some people prefer that, some people don't. Some people like both. For anyone wanting to forge an already-existing forum into exactly what they would prefer, I urge them to become a moderator or, better yet, contact the owner of the site and let them know how they should conduct their forum.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was not impressed by PSF, to put it mildly. The mods were pushing an ideological agenda under the guise of avoiding controversy.
I am not sure that off-topic material generates as many problems as people think. Without some fire, forums tend to become stale. Most of us know how to navigate around it at this point.
But, forum entropy always remains a threat from many sources. I wrote about this in another thread, and then referenced it when discussing forum churn, or high turnover among members.
Personally, I think the no politics rule is great, as long as it is evenly enforced. Hard to see past our own filters sometimes, which is why some forums just create a political sub and let people in only when they're drunk.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nothing happens on those that you can't get here. The main difference is, every word typed is supposed to be about pipes and tobacco (or cigars and shaving gear, on one) or you will get zapped immediately. Even this very thread would be considered "off-topic crap" and deleted. For people who like that environment so much, there are several choices, so I am truly at a loss as to why they would bother coming here and bitching that this place is not just like that. If you like it so much, stay there. We're not the only pipe forum on the interwebs.

DM, I think we try to be fair and balanced, but sometimes on some threads, I’ll admit that the topic just doesn’t interest me, or the posts are too long to read, so I tend not to check them very well. But, we have a demographic in the world that tries to weave their political worldview into everything they do. For example, when my mother in law with Alzheimer’s went missing and the local papers released a Silver alert in the online local papers, the comments became insane with trolls making the issue into a political issue, making up stuff that they had no idea what they were talking about. We had a serious issue, and the family had to deal with all sorts of allegations because of this political mental illness that has been festering for years in our culture.

What keeps me coming back here is that I can participate with you guys about just things relevant to the hobby (or whatever you want to call it) without all of the other garbage in the world invading our camaraderie. I honestly don’t care what everyone’s political leanings are. I just want to talk smoke, and that’s it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm a member of three other pipe forums but am more active on this one and This Pipe Life. I hardly ever visit one pipe smoker forum which I'll leave unnamed because a couple of the moderators have developed Napoleon complexes. The other one is nice but not really that active topics seem to go stagnant pretty fast.
I also belong to several facebook groups, use twitter and instagram. They have their purpose and meets my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.