PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This might be a bit of a contentious subject and if it is the Mods are welcome to kill it off but I noticed that quite a few old faces seem to have vanished. Some I know have been un-personed or dormanted for doing crazy stuff on the boards or generally annoying the boss man but a few others have just vanished. Maybe I have missed something but what has happened to Peck and his Canadian tobacco mountain? My chum who was a Condor smoker in Georgia, Eric has also just vanished in a puff of smoke. These are just a couple that spring to mind and I am sure there are others!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Frank, fnb2532
fhb2532.png

dunendain
dunendain.jpg

kashmir
imag1346-1-1-11-avatar2.jpg

chuckw
chuckw.jpg

jonesing
jonesing.jpg

sinistertopiary
sinistertopiary.jpg

maxpeters
maxpeters.jpg

fred bass
fred.jpg

So many more, there's not enough time to list them all...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There was this chap whose avatar was a picture of Stalin and I think he was from Canada who used to post some quite controversial stuff and seemed to have a hard on for anyone on the Square. I cannot remember his name for the life of me and lets not forget our old friends Haja and Starcat who livened up this place until they got death rayed by the Mods.

Some guys find new womenfolk, as I believe Harris has done. Some may just get bored or find new things to keep their interest. I almost always am too busy in the summers to keep up with being as regular as I usually am. This year was interesting, as I found that I could just smoke my pipe whether inside or out and about without compulsively posting what I am doing.

Very very few of those mentioned were banned. I don't think Starcat was banned at all. Some just get too egocentric and feel embarrassed or shamed by their own words or actions and leave. We've had a few that demand that their accounts be deleted, begging us to ban them. No one is just thrown out without discretion. You can't keep a forum as open and accepting as this one by tossing folks out willy-nilly. And, moderators do not have the power to do this at all by ourselves.
IMO, there is a fine line between being very active on the forum, and making this place too significant a part of your life and psychi. Some will come and go. We have a whole new batch of personalities now, as every year when I return after summer. I enjoy getting to know these folks as well as catching up with those that are a part of the furniture here. Some may return, when they have something interesting to share, or when a thread piques their interest. We have far more people who watch our forum without participating at all. And some, we may be thankful do not participate, ha ha. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There was this chap whose avatar was a picture of Stalin and I think he was from Canada who used to post some quite controversial stuff and seemed to have a hard on for anyone on the Square. I cannot remember his name for the life of me and lets not forget our old friends Haja and Starcat who livened up this place until they got death rayed by the Mods.
The answer, I think, is above. Look to jvn's post! I liked him once he vehemently agreed with a post of mine!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Fred Bass recently passed away. RIP

I want to say chuckw also passed away, but can someone fact check that?

ejames was murdered. Rest his soul.

kashmir was banned and can be found with a heavy presence on social media.

not sure about peck, but I miss him.

harris, I assume found love and made him switch to smoking aromatics in all of his pipes.
Forums are like the seasons sometimes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
clickklick, the passing of Chuckw, a Peterson devotee and collector, was briefly mentioned on another forum ...oh, it must be 3yrs. ago or so. At that time I remember discussing his death with former moderator Lawrence (also no longer active here).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've occasionally been accused of being Mr. Nice, but I got pulled by a moderator not long after I joined Forums. The complaint puzzled me, but I agreed to have my post pulled, since I'm so full of chatter, it hardly seemed an issue. Check my number of posts. Yes, I too miss peck, kashmir, roth and others. I believe peck has a high power legal career going, and I somewhat suppose that that has superseded the Forums. The moderators have a tough job and generally do a good job of keeping this a pipe forum where conversation can survive. So much of cyberspace is a fever of negativity and irresponsibility. Like most of life, maintaining balance is not easy. I am so sorry to hear of the passing of several members. So far, still here after all these posts.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I'm glad that you're here mso489. And all of you other guys too! And yes, I also miss peck.

Jan 8, 2013
I miss Peck as well. I always enjoyed his posts, and he gifted me my first Nording high grade along with a Nording tamper. I think most everyone on the forum will miss Ejames. I always enjoyed his posts. What happened to him was a shock to us all I think.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have to wonder what the relationship was with the grandson; his grandparents likely tried to help him.
Peck sent me a near full package of Tabac-Manil Semois ... and a tin of Frog Morton Cellar ... and what I almost missed in the box until he mentioned it and I went back to look ... a Ferndown bent billiard, one of the treasures of my stable. A generous soul. He'd tried Semois and found it really awful, and of course I love the stuff, it being a burley variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.