SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 27, 2016
If you take the Wipeout game disc our after a race loads and insert a music CD, you can listen to the CD music while playing the game.
This gave me odd results, maybe because I'm using a PS3 & not a PS1.

I ended up downloading the free PS Store demo for "Wipeout HD", which has the first track, gives you one slow ship, & lets you choose between the two slowest speed classes, & that's been fun to play, pretty much like I remembered it - a lot like "Wipeout XL", but with tons of improvements, & still tough as nails. For now, it's hard for me to consistently win the demo in the second speed class. I'll probably download the full game, since it's down to $8.

Also, this might be interesting, although I never played the PC original: Dreamcast New Game Soon

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Just finished the free trilogy earlier. Bought U4, Remothered, Darksiders 2&3, and Dead or Alive 6. Big under $20 sale, and big Japan favorites sale going on.
Just finished the Uncharted trilogy too and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Part of the reason was I really connected more with Drake than I thought I would. Sure he's a thief but he's also a mensch and does the right thing when the chips are down. The only real complaint I have was how often the game kept trying to remind you how cinematic it was. I can't count the number of ties you'd be climbing or running and the game would cut to a quick cut scene showing you losing your grip or something. Really went overboard with this in the 3rd game and killed some of the immersion. A lot of fun otherwise and glad I got a chance to try them out!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Red Dead 2 hit Game Pass.
It was lots of fun until a train hit my horse while I was getting a drunk preacher off the railway bridge.
This game really does have some problems with obfuscation of potential actions (I still have no idea how to put my hands up when being arrested).
When the train hit my horse I was ponying a second horse, I knew I had to tie both horses to prevent them from walking onto the tracks with me, but after hitching the first horse the game wouldn't let me get on the second one, whether it's a bizarre bug or intentional I have no idea, but the game killed my horse.
Then a few days later I just randomly saved and loaded the game and it deleted my best replacement horse AFTER I put my saddle on it! (Your saddle is used to designate your primary horse.) Load from save file and the horse is just gone (not at any stable or anywhere on the map). Infuriating.

At this point I'm ready to utterly cheat my way through the rest of the game.

Apparently if you rob a train in the tunnel you can't get caught, there's going to be a few trains going missing tonight.
There are so any great things about RDR2 that it's utterly baffling how unpleasant, punitive, and downright tedious some of the gameplay design choices are. I felt like the game was saying, "Fuck you," to me on more than one occasion and in reply I told the game, "this is not fun!" plenty of times

Reactions: Bowie

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My kids would try to teach me but my button dexterity is beyond saving. I taught my kids how to play cards like Spades, Pitch, Hearts. They also like playing Dominoes.
I live with a care taker and we are up to all hours playing backgammon, Gin and Pitch. We have fierce battles and when she loses only like 4-5 games in a row we change games. I could care less as I just like to play. I grew up playing gin with my dads mom. She showed no mercy and I was a better player for it.

Back in the 80's I used to hang out at the Cavendish club in Boston. It was a place where serious backgammon was played and there were some big money games. I was good but I was never into gambling, even today I don't do it. I have enough bad habits.

Mar 1, 2014
Cuphead is easily the most difficult game I've ever played, but it's really rewarding. It's all inspired by cartoons from the '30s, and all the animation is hand-drawn, with hand-painted watercolor backgrounds and an original jazz soundtrack. But it's so. damn. hard. I'm about halfway through, and it keeps track of how many times you've died while playing. My last count was 550.

If you enjoyed Cuphead be sure to check out Ori and the Blind Forest, and Will of the Wisps (or Hollow Knight, the indie game Ori is based on. Of course those three are "Metroidvania" genre games so not exactly like Cuphead, but good classic style gaming).

Reactions: danimalia
Mar 1, 2014
It had been over a decade since I played a video game. But I recently got a ps4 and started playing death stranding and rdrII and wow what a jump that was! I got pretty addicted.

I can't resist asking: What would convince someone who hasn't played a game in 10 years to get Death Stranding?
(Death Stranding is the kind of game that can appeal to many different people for totally opposite reasons, it's always fun to hear an individual's perspective.)

I'm nearing the end of the main story. It's a terrific game. Most players find they need to readjust their concept of game pacing and realize this game is meant to be played slow. You spend lots of game time riding from one place to the next. The cinematic camera can help by automatically guiding you there, but it's not a fast travel system. You can unlock a modified version of fast travel later in the game. It's fun to wander and do random side quests, much like Skyrim or Witcher 3.

I'm not sure about the horse glitch you mention. See if the horse reappears at camp when you go there.

I've never been arrested. I either shoot my way out, or run out of range of the bounty hunters and then pay off the bounty at a post office.

When Oblivion came out I got out of the quest ASAP and spent about 100 hours just encircling the map.

One of the problems with RDR2 is the game does tie you down a lot, it's clear that the game designers desperately want to keep you at the camp to expose you to their idea of witty writing.
Good or bad I honestly don't care about any story they have to tell, I'm here to write my own.
I can appreciate that the game has very high production values, but as far as open world games go RDR2 is trying very hard not to be one whenever you accept a mission. The experience is pretty bipolar in that way.
After the first 20 hours the game world comes into its own but I'm constantly reminded that at their core Rockstar does not make games for people like me.

Reactions: danimalia and Bowie