PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
Fallout guy here. Never played anything else (after the original atari and Nintendo platforms of course).
My twin-brother was and is still a gamer, and he'd shoot-the-shit with my son about the games they were playing. Realized I was missing out on some quality time with my boy... so got on board with Fallout. It was a compromise. I can't do PVP games. Had enough of that in real life. ha
Fallout became 'me time' while the wife was watching some Lifetime 'adventure'.
Completed multiple play-throughs of all the fallout series - except 76. Bethesda broke my heart with that iteration.

I was actually searching for chess players in the forum when I saw your post. Glad I'm not the only one. ha.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I thought there might be some video game fans around here...

Just got a PS4 a few weeks ago...totally got sucked in and have had to become a more effective clencher lol

I have been playing a lot of Battlefront 1 and 2, GTA online (basically so i can play blackjack with my brother who is three states away haha), and am hoping to find some good racing games soon.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
We bought our 6 year old grandson a Nintendo Switch Light for Christmas. Our daughter and son-in-law agreed to the Switch because it's handheld and doesn't hook up to the TV. Anyway, I played Mario Kart 8 on it a few times...it was fun.
Update: I purchased myself a Nintendo Switch Light about a month ago and have been playing Fortnite with my grandson. It's fun because we can play together even though we live 15 miles apart. He's a good kid...he invites me into his game even though I suck at it.

Any Switch game recommendations?

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I was an original Atari 2600 kid from about 1983 until enlisting in the army in 1986. I also pumped an insane amount of quarters into coin-op arcade games in the 80's. Galaga, Spy Hunter, Ms. Pacman, Battle Zone, etc, etc...

Around 1992, I got my first computer, a 286SX with MS-DOS 5. Anyone remember Leisure Suit Larry? ?‍?

In 1995, I entered the pinball phase, infatuated with the mighty Theatre Of Magic.

Some time around 2000, I visited my sister for a week. She had gotten a PS2 and we played Midnight Club 2, Dub Edition for about 30 hours straight, leading me to get one. Around the same time, I got into Diablo 2 which claimed a solid decade of my life.

After my surgery in last June, I picked up a more capable computer to fight boredom and installed Path Of Exile, which is my current time sink.

I'm thinking of digging out some older stuff that I miss playing, like MechWarrior3. I just picked up Age Of Empires 3 for $3 and might give that a whirl.

View attachment 11785
That brings back memories. Now you can buy the entire 2600 library completely contained in an old 2600 controller mockup. My first PC was a 286 as well. I remember having to edit autoexec.bat and config.sys for every game, lol

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
This thread makes me feel old.
In high school, I had one of those handheld football games that had three blinky lights verses one blinky light. I picked up a PlayStation after having kids, but I just didn't have the patience to set still for that long. And, my kids just preferred playing outside, so we never progressed into the newer game formats.
I had one of those!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
been playing Assassins creed Odyessy first game since the pirate ones that I'am going to finish nightmare mood is actually tough (which that game not being tough takes the fun out of it). And been playing Super Mario galaxy which is awesome too. And finally if you have a PS4 I have to reccomend the most ridiculous game ever, Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise. It's insane and awesome. If you don't know it's martial arts mad max with exploding heads because someone confussed martial artists with wizards. It's really fun and more satisfying then it should be. Oh and it's like 15 bucks.

Reactions: danimalia

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
The Switch is the only gaming device I've owned since the old Atari days, lol. I like it because it has a lot of smaller indy developer games ported to it.
Ha! Thanks for reminding me of this comment. I did buy a switch several months ago, and I love it! The last Legend of Zelda game I played was Ocarina of Time on N64, and god DAMN is Breath of the Wild an incredible experience!
That, and Super Mario Odyssey, Untitled Goose Game, Bioshock, Ring Fit Adventure, and many more have preserved my sanity over the last several months

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Just mentioned it in my comment above, but if you're looking for a fun way to stay in shape and stick to an exercise routine, Ring Fit Adventure is actually a LOT of fun, and a great workout. This is coming from a 27-year-old guy in decent shape, and I'm frequently sore and sweating after a workout. You can adjust the difficulty to be as easy or hard as you want too. Can't recommend this game enough, especially with the cold weather approaching.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Ha! Thanks for reminding me of this comment. I did buy a switch several months ago, and I love it! The last Legend of Zelda game I played was Ocarina of Time on N64, and god DAMN is Breath of the Wild an incredible experience!
That, and Super Mario Odyssey, Untitled Goose Game, Bioshock, Ring Fit Adventure, and many more have preserved my sanity over the last several months
Did the Switch ever come out with some type of virtual console or way of playing classic NES/SNES games on it? I would like a Switch but only if it gives me access to the classics as well as the new games.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
So lately I've finally given the From Software "Soulsbourne" games a try, namely Bloodbourne and Dark Souls III. Been enjoying them quite a bit but there's been a few times I've lost my mind. Usually will die with a bunch of souls/blood echoes/video game bucks. Will go to retrieve them, only to get backed into a corner or trapped by multiple enemies I took too lightly, killing me and causing the souls to disappear forever. Then I say, "Fuck this game," and turn it off, only for it to start eating at my brain until I pick it up again. ?

I actually don't find either game as hard as Nioh, which I was unable to finish

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Did the Switch ever come out with some type of virtual console or way of playing classic NES/SNES games on it? I would like a Switch but only if it gives me access to the classics as well as the new games.
Yes. It’s a subscription, but it’s available. I played some old NES 8-bit stuff with my son on his Switch. He likes playing “Ice Hockey“ ?. And “Mike Tyson’s Punch Out.”

Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Update: I purchased myself a Nintendo Switch Light about a month ago and have been playing Fortnite with my grandson. It's fun because we can play together even though we live 15 miles apart. He's a good kid...he invites me into his game even though I suck at it.

Any Switch game recommendations?
Luigi's Mansion Mario, 3d AllStars, Mario cart is addictive as things we can't talk about.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Yes. It’s a subscription, but it’s available. I played some old NES 8-bit stuff with my son on his Switch. He likes playing “Ice Hockey“ ?. And “Mike Tyson’s Punch Out.”
I loved me some Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. I could never beat Super Macho Man (I'd get close but eventually he'd get me) and don't think I even floored Iron Mike once when using the password to get to him. I have since learned from YouTube videos that the first 90 seconds of the 1st round were basically all about surviving Tyson's onslaught and the fight got manageable after that. Kind of an interesting example of art imitating life since at the time the game came out, Tyson was known for his vicious early KOs and his ability to go into the late rounds was still mostly unknown.