PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm addicted to 8 Ball Pool on my Android tablet at the moment, it's bloody awesome! 4,000 games in and I'm still loving it.
It's free although you'll end up spending some dosh to get a better cue if you start getting into it. There's leagues, you can start your own club and there's always new challenges being uploaded. There's something cool about playing different people from all over the world.
I can't recommend it highly enough.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
The last game I really got into was Dark Souls. I spent so much time on that game. It was very much a love hate relationship. Came close many times to breaking or throwing my controller over that one. And don't even get me started on Blighttown...

I recently got an older Nintendo DS. It has some pretty fun jRPG on it. Playing Radiant Historia off and on. Also has a pretty decent Resident Evil port on it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet there are some early generational boomers who picked up the computer gaming bug and spend time at it. I like the physical objective presence of "real" games, whether it is pinball or croquet. In my few tries at online games, the experience was too removed and muted for me, and I suspect a total virtual immersion would make me seasick, the way the Pacific Ocean or South China Sea in heavy weather never did.

Jun 27, 2016
Front Mission 3 has been taking up a lot of playtime, glad I have the strategy guide this go-round for referencing mech parts & their associated learn-able battle-skills, planning mission strategies, & for allowing me to avoid the in-game story "email" & "internet" systems unless absolutely necessary, as those two components were a big waste of time during my first play-through. I've been able to find out some good info on the real internet on setting up the pilots battle skill computers & setting up the defensive upgrades based on weapons class, as those were confusing to me when I first played this game, & not even the strategy guide offers a clear explanation of how the battle skill computers really work. The combat system is pretty deep especially when trying to activate skills & combos, & a lot of it is left up to you to figure out exactly what works & what doesn't. Platinum medals for each mission are what people ultimately go for, but if you upgrade your weapons too quickly or too slowly, they will be impossible to achieve. That was another thing that I didn't understand back in the day. I would usually get a 15% penalty off of my mission scores for "weapons levels", & I would think that they were too low, so I'd go beef them up in the sim & never see the penalty go away, since the game was actually saying that were too high to begin with. The problem is that if you train a pilot in the sim with the same weapon that you plan to send them into battle with, it may level up too fast for the games liking, depending on how far along into the story you are. So, you can train with an alternate weapon class when teaching a pilot battle skills in the sim, if the pilots usual weapon-class level becomes too high. Conversely, if you go into battle with very low weapons levels, you'll probably take too many turns to win, you'll get points off for that, & not get a platinum score due to that. The strategy guide helps by letting you know on average where your weapon levels should be for that mission, if you're concerned about getting platinum medals. If you don't care about your grade & just want to win, you can sandbag with higher weapons levels to win more easily, & that's cool, too. I'm thinking that platinums should be easier to achieve during a second playthrough, because the game allows you to retain any learned battle skills for a second play-through after you have beaten it once, meaning you won't have to use the simulator to learn them & be worried about leveling up your weapons too much. I was never able to move my original PS1 save to my PS3 without buying some contraption, so that's why I started a second play-through with no battle-skills. I have the most fun setting up some mechs for combat, others for teaching pilots useful battle skills, then setting everything up for the next battle, & then seeing them activate or combo their skills in battle. The story is about as lame as it was 20 years ago, & the characters are just about as annoying, the secondary vehicle models look like they were done on a Commodore 64, but I just ignore all of that & spend time in the simulator or in battles, & the game is still a lot of fun, & for the most part, still looks really good. There is a glitch where the enemy mechs generally will not activate if you stay 6 or 7 squares away from them. I'm not sure if it's a glitch or meant to help pace the battles, but I have played turns where the enemy will simply sit there & not do anything until I approached more closely. A lot of people online say it's a glitch, so maybe it was officially confirmed, but it's not something that generally detracts from my enjoyment of the game. Most of these battles are hard enough without every mech on the map showing up to attack in one or two turns. In any case, this is a good game for anyone who likes chess & blowing stuff up, & I'm glad that I fired it up again.

Jun 27, 2016
Played some Rally Cross & Wipeout XL, & they still hold up really well & are still a lot of fun to play! I figured out how to turn on analog steering controls on the PS3 for supported PS1 games, which helps out a lot on Rally Cross. Wipeout XL is early enough not to have analog support (unless you have a Namco NeGcon controller).

I also played Wipeout 3 (PS1 sequel to XL) for the first time, & XL is much better for many reasons which I'm not going to list. I remember most people saying this back when 3 was released, but I wanted to see for myself. It's not horrible, but they made a lot of unwelcome changes. The only thing that 3 has which I wish XL did, is widescreen support. But if I had to choose between XL or 3, I wouldn't bother with 3. I played 3 for a while & put it down, & haven't felt the urge to pick it back up, whereas I still want to play XL & record some fast-laps, or try to win arcade challenges. Make no mistake, XL is hard as nails, but the replay value is still there, & I've played dozens of hours (mostly back in the day) & it still delivers.

I also popped in RC Stunt Copter, which as it turns out, isn't as good as I had remembered it to be, so I took it out of my "PS1 favorites" rack & replaced it with Bushido Blade, which can be as frustrating as a game can get, & it hasn't aged well graphically, but it's really fun to play two-player, & can be interesting to play single-player. If I had to recommend a weapons-based fighting game from around those days, it would actually be Soul Caliber on the Dreamcast. Back in the day my buddy had a big CRT flat screen TV with a VGA input, I want to say it was a Sharp or a Panasonic 31", & he had a VGA output box for the Dreamcast, & it looked so good. Back then, I ran my Dreamcast with an S-Video cable (480i), which looked much better than composite, but the 480p VGA looked even better.

Mar 1, 2014
Red Dead 2 hit Game Pass.
It was lots of fun until a train hit my horse while I was getting a drunk preacher off the railway bridge.
This game really does have some problems with obfuscation of potential actions (I still have no idea how to put my hands up when being arrested).
When the train hit my horse I was ponying a second horse, I knew I had to tie both horses to prevent them from walking onto the tracks with me, but after hitching the first horse the game wouldn't let me get on the second one, whether it's a bizarre bug or intentional I have no idea, but the game killed my horse.
Then a few days later I just randomly saved and loaded the game and it deleted my best replacement horse AFTER I put my saddle on it! (Your saddle is used to designate your primary horse.) Load from save file and the horse is just gone (not at any stable or anywhere on the map). Infuriating.

At this point I'm ready to utterly cheat my way through the rest of the game.

Apparently if you rob a train in the tunnel you can't get caught, there's going to be a few trains going missing tonight.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Red Dead 2 hit Game Pass.
I'm nearing the end of the main story. It's a terrific game. Most players find they need to readjust their concept of game pacing and realize this game is meant to be played slow. You spend lots of game time riding from one place to the next. The cinematic camera can help by automatically guiding you there, but it's not a fast travel system. You can unlock a modified version of fast travel later in the game. It's fun to wander and do random side quests, much like Skyrim or Witcher 3.

I'm not sure about the horse glitch you mention. See if the horse reappears at camp when you go there.

I've never been arrested. I either shoot my way out, or run out of range of the bounty hunters and then pay off the bounty at a post office.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
Just got a Nintendo Switch not too long ago, and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most fun I've had playing video games in a LONG time. My mind was absolutely blown the whole time by the smoothness, the graphics, the gameplay mechanics, and the MASSIVE open-world format. I beat the main story in a few days, but there's enough in the game to keep it entertaining for much longer than that. The last LoZ game I played was Ocarina of Time for the N64, and I'm glad I didn't bother with any of the releases in between that and BotW. Incredible game.

Aside from that, I just worked my way through the main story of Super Mario Odyssey, and the parallels between Mario 64 made it hugely nostalgic and a ton of fun. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I'm really glad I picked it up.
I bought the system initially because I really wanted to play Untitle Goose Game (my avatar is a screenshot from the game, you actually get to steal someone's pipe). That game was an absolute riot and I recommend it to everyone.

Cuphead is easily the most difficult game I've ever played, but it's really rewarding. It's all inspired by cartoons from the '30s, and all the animation is hand-drawn, with hand-painted watercolor backgrounds and an original jazz soundtrack. But it's so. damn. hard. I'm about halfway through, and it keeps track of how many times you've died while playing. My last count was 550.

Been playing a lot of Katamari lately too, and there's no way to describe how weird that acid-trip of a game is unless you play it. It's like all of the weirdest parts of Japanese culture distilled into a game that takes about 8 hours to finish.

Really looking forward to the upcoming releases of Breath of the Wild 2 and the new Metroid Prime, and I've heard they're remastering every major Mario release from N64 and Gamecube, which is another reason I pulled the trigger on the system.

The only game I couldn't really get into was Assassin's Creed Black Flag. The mechanics are incredibly frustrating and unforgiving. Maybe the Switch isn't the best way to play Assassin's Creed.

Jun 27, 2016
Been playing a lot of Katamari lately too, and there's no way to describe how weird that acid-trip of a game is unless you play it. It's like all of the weirdest parts of Japanese culture distilled into a game that takes about 8 hours to finish.

I wasn't sure how I was going to like Katamari, but the two that I got for PS2 are a lot of fun! Although the last time I played it, I accidentally loaded instead of saved (bad menu design imho) after covering a lot of ground.

Fluke's in game song "Atom Bomb" even had a Wipeout themed music video.
There's an instrumental version of that song in "Wipeout XL", & if you put the game disc in a CD player, it will play the games musical tracklist. Same thing happens with "Wipeout 3". Usually I'm better-off without tunes for most racing games. Rally Cross would be one exception where I'll leave it turned down but still in the background, & the simple riffs seem to fit well & aren't distracting. Such a great game. =)

Anyone have Wipeout Omega Collection for PS4? I used to play Wipeout HD on my old PS3, but I have to buy it again for my current one. The PS4 version (Omega Collection) looks really good!

Reactions: Chasing Embers