Anyone Giving Up The Juice During Lock Down?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, I'll bite on this one, because some of this is flat out wrong. Among many others, here are three ways that this virus/situation is NOT like the flu:
1. This virus has a death rate that is estimated to be 10 times that of the seasonal flu
2. This virus, according to scientists, is much more contagious than the seasonal flu
3. Imagine if the entire flu season was condensed into 4-6 weeks instead of a longer period of time throughout the year. While perhaps 12-61k have died every year from the flu, they have not all died or needed medical treatment at the same time. This situation is a tsunami in slow motion for our health care system, and the more that system is overwhelmed the more people will die, as they will not be able to render adequate treatment.

Yeah that echoes what is being said to justify the "shutdown". Personally I don't buy it simply because there is not enough convincing data to back any of that up IMO...and too much data that contradicts it...again, IMO.

Also, contrary to the MSM narrative, there is not scientific consensus...there are many scientists who are not supporting the official narrative on this.

But, for those who do buy the official narrative and believe this shutdown is justified, if you do not at least still see the economic tsunami coming out of this and the potential for this to become the new normal anytime "they" want to declare it...well, then you've got blinders on...IMO.

With only one or two exceptions, all of the posts I've seen on here in support of the shutdown downplay the economic consequences if they even mention them at all.

As with so many other issues, we are typically given a false choice as if there are only two sides to things. In this case it's either do nothing and let the virus run its course, or shut everything down and ruin the economy.

Below is an example of a much more reasoned and intelligent approach that also addresses the science involved. And while I don't agree with 100% of it, it is something I can respect...unlike the insanity of how this is currently being handled.

Covid-19 Derangement Syndrome: A World Gone Mad

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah that echoes what is being said to justify the "shutdown". Personally I don't buy it simply because there is not enough convincing data to back any of that up IMO...and too much data that contradicts it...again, IMO.

Also, contrary to the MSM narrative, there is not scientific consensus...there are many scientists who are not supporting the official narrative on this.

But, for those who do buy the official narrative and believe this shutdown is justified, if you do not at least still see the economic tsunami coming out of this and the potential for this to become the new normal anytime "they" want to declare it...well, then you've got blinders on...IMO.

With only one or two exceptions, all of the posts I've seen on here in support of the shutdown downplay the economic consequences if they even mention them at all.

As with so many other issues, we are typically given a false choice as if there are only two sides to things. In this case it's either do nothing and let the virus run its course, or shut everything down and ruin the economy.

Below is an example of a much more reasoned and intelligent approach that also addresses the science involved. And while I don't agree with 100% of it, it is something I can respect...unlike the insanity of how this is currently being handled.

Covid-19 Derangement Syndrome: A World Gone Mad

Are you suggesting that this article and source is a good alternative to the MSM? As far as I can tell, this is a German pro-Russia media site, that gets most of it's information from Russian media (which is basically propaganda. Actual investigative reporting gets one killed in Russia). I skimmed over the article. It's pretty much the same approach used by climate change deniers, which is to claim that everyone else has a bias and they are the only true purveyors of scientific fact.

HOWEVER, I don't think I am going to convince you to re-think your approach on an online forum, just as you are not convincing me. I hope that you stay safe and healthy, and enjoy a good pipe at some point soon.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Are you suggesting that this article and source is a good alternative to the MSM? As far as I can tell, this is a German pro-Russia media site, that gets most of it's information from Russian media (which is basically propaganda. Actual investigative reporting gets one killed in Russia). I skimmed over the article. It's pretty much the same approach used by climate change deniers, which is to claim that everyone else has a bias and they are the only true purveyors of scientific fact.

HOWEVER, I don't think I am going to convince you to re-think your approach on an online forum, just as you are not convincing me. I hope that you stay safe and healthy, and enjoy a good pipe at some point soon.
Considering that the MSM is a red-ass-kissing, pro-China mega-fake-news outlet, yes, the article is a very good alternative.

Quite a number of things mentioned in the article I have personally witnessed or been acquainted with: namely, the agenda-driven science (right here in my own faculty: a professor who isn't even a climatologist bought by a political party to produce 'climate'-related 'studies' that would 'scientifically' justify the party line), and the latest attempt at a power grab by Canada's minority government. To deny those things would be to be the worst kind of denier: the one who is blind because he refuses to see with his very good-working eyes.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I drank to excess in the service, lost some rank, spent a night or two in the drunk tank. Learned a few years later that maybe there was a better way.

Getting into bikes 20 years ago put the finishing touches on any drinking to excess, as the two really don't go well together.

These days it's one or two drinks at a time, with a quarterly binge or so to keep it interesting.

1585714049305.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

Not trying to convince anyone of anything...just telling it how I see it. In fact I get concerned if too many people agree...makes me think I must be on the wrong track.

I'm unfamiliar with that site...just liked that particular essay. But as for "pro Russia", I don't even know what that means or what you're talking about...but I couldn't care less anyway. All the anti-Russia hysteria over the last 3 plus years is globalist propaganda that is almost as crazy as the climate change BS.

As for the "MSM" here, there are no bigger bullshit/propaganda artists in the world than them.

Growing up in the thick of the cold war I never dreamed I'd live to see a time when Russia seemed more sane than the West, but the western world in general has gone mostly batshit crazy over the last few decades.

• Love
Reactions: olkofri
Mar 1, 2014
... Studies have shown that even one episode of binge drinking has a short term negative effect on one's immune system. I'm 39, so I'm not TOO worried about getting the virus, although the reports of young people being hospitalized are a little troubling. I am acutely aware, however, that if I do get it, and I get it it bad, it will be me vs. the virus, as there are no effective treatments at this point.

There is one effective treatment, don't be fat and lazy.

Go running every morning and you'll remove yourself from the "high risk" population for pretty much everything.

Jan 27, 2020
Someone my girlfriend worked with around three weeks ago died yesterday of covid. She was in her 60s with some minor health issues. Despite heading sirens all day, reading about the projections of deaths, etc., heading this news made it feel like a much more acute reality, not in the sense that we are worried about getting sick. Anyway, it didn’t make want to hit the bottle.

Reactions: Casual and kurtbob

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Benn laying off with all the stress. Would be too easy to drink more and I have to be 110% at work everyday.

We were midway through a kitchen remodel when this went down, eating out of a microwave and grilling outside for weeks now. Yesterday the countertops were installed which would give us our cooking range and oven back.

They cracked the granite countertop on install. Back to waiting on a countertop. 1st world problem but it sucks.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I keep losing track of what day it is. Yesterday, I thought it was Friday and opened a bottle of wine to go with the stir-fry we cooked up. It certainly felt like a Friday. I am in my third week of working from home and every day seems the same...

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.