Anyone Giving Up The Juice During Lock Down?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
puff', that is self-aware and wise of you. Too many people don't know how they are coming across when they're in effect anesthetized, and then think others are doing them wrong when they reenter sobriety. I drink so little that wine with a meal can induce a deep-sleep nap. Now and then it may be beneficial, but not too often. Actually, I re-started pipe smoking when my wife was recovering from extended problems with hip surgery, and I didn't want to drink to unwind, so I lit up the pipe again, needing some sort of centering after a day with her at rehab. She's intrepid and a real soul mate. I tell her she drove me to Cavendish -- just because that word sounds funnier than burley.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Not gonna give up but, have slowed my roll for sure! Both the wife and I are in jobs that are deemed essential. So the highlight of our day is sitting on the back porch with the dogs. Her cig smoking and me with my pipes , talking about our jacked up days dealing with the idiots who are out and about while having some beers??

Jan 27, 2020
puff', that is self-aware and wise of you. Too many people don't know how they are coming across when they're in effect anesthetized, and then think others are doing them wrong when they reenter sobriety. I drink so little that wine with a meal can induce a deep-sleep nap. Now and then it may be beneficial, but not too often. Actually, I re-started pipe smoking when my wife was recovering from extended problems with hip surgery, and I didn't want to drink to unwind, so I lit up the pipe again, needing some sort of centering after a day with her at rehab. She's intrepid and a real soul mate. I tell her she drove me to Cavendish -- just because that word sounds funnier than burley.

Well, it’s not the first time I’ve come to this conclusion or stopped for an extended period of time, the real work is in actually refraining. Wine with dinner is ideal, maybe I’ll reintroduce that later. I have found when I stop that I have much more energy and perhaps inspiration to do other things. The pipe I would agree seems like a good replacement and provides relaxation without the numbness and maybe even a gain in clarity.

Drove me to Cavendish would be a good name for a 50s or 60s musical.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am drinking a little less, I had two beers in the fridge when New Zealand went into lockdown, and after I drank those it occurred to me I would not be leaving the property for more. I had a sip of bourbon last night and will drink some red with dinner maybe once a week, but overall yes, I am using this time to purposefully drink a little less. I am however drinking more tea, and smoking more pipes! And breathing in less exhaust pipes....

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I am actually drinking more, which isn't saying too much though. I really like good beer and whiskey and tequila and cocktails, but just don't drink more than a couple a week. With the slower pace of life now (we both work full time and have 3 teenagers), my wife and I find ourselves enjoying time on the back deck with a libation more often.

Mar 1, 2014
I have found that it’s not really fun to drink during these times, plus already posted a drunk tirade on another forum, so I’m going to try to constrict my alcohol intake or stop for a while. Anyone else?

Drinking up to 30ml of alcohol every day increases HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol.
I usually only take a sip if I actually remember to, going through about four bottles of Laphroaig in a year.
It can also work wonders for an upset stomach.

Jan 27, 2020
Is "these times" a reference to the "virus?" I haven't changed my life style one whit because of the illness. Of course I don't drink for "fun."

Yes I am. Sheltering in place in a New York apartment, not having ones usual routine etc. doesn’t seem like such a great ideation mix with alcohol for those who have a tendency to overdo it.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherbob

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'm still drinking about the same amount, which is to say maybe 5-10 drinks/week, mostly bourbon or scotch but the malbec we had with lasagna last night for dinner was fantastic,and I've been going through a few of my cellar beers. I am trying to never drink more than 1-2 drinks in one sitting, which isn't hard because I really slowed down my drinking about 6 months ago to lose some weight (down 25 pds!). Studies have shown that even one episode of binge drinking has a short term negative effect on one's immune system. I'm 39, so I'm not TOO worried about getting the virus, although the reports of young people being hospitalized are a little troubling. I am acutely aware, however, that if I do get it, and I get it it bad, it will be me vs. the virus, as there are no effective treatments at this point.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you're giving up something like alcohol, tobacco, or whatever due to the current "situation", you may as well resolve to give it up permanently IMO.

Because the precedent has now been set for mass quarantine/quasi-martial law implementation based on a contagious virus with effects that have not been demonstrated to be any more significant than what is seen every "flu season".

In another generation or less, it will be a "conspiracy theory" to suggest that society has not always gone into "lockdown" for flu season.

CAUTION: Below is from the lunatic fringe website CDC.gov so it should be dismissed out of hand as irrelevant nonsense.

CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

CDC estimates that from 2010-2011 to 2017-2018, influenza-associated deaths in the United States ranged from a low of 12,000 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 79,000 (during 2017-2018).

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
If I'm being honest it's actually increased since I would usually do things like HEMA or BJJ in the evening, now I set down read a book and grab a few beers and as I make my own beer I have quite a supply for a few weeks.

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.