PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I’ve bought some expensive cigars just because I liked the special box that they came in and with only one or two cigars left I could take the box as well. (I’ve got a CAO Sopranos special edition box sitting in front of me- red enamel finish and a black leather interior...). But I’m not much of a cigar smoker. Sooner or later, they do get smoked, though and whatever is left will not get wasted as long as I’ve got a pipe handy!

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Since no pipe tobacco in the house these days and left in the cellar is only a 50 pcs box of Villiger Sumatra cigarillos, I soon began to miss my pipes...

These are my findings, after having today smoked 3 bowls of cigarillos in a small cob and in a small old Pibe-Dan briar chimney:
No need to dry the tobacco. Burns to a fine white ash. Easy lit and stays lit to the bottom.

Can be pushed with no tongue bite. Tastes much different from ‘regular’ pipe tobacco but still gives the feel of smoking a pipe.

Reminds me, apart from the cigar taste, somewhat of ‘fire cured’ and adds some liquoricy taste. The cigar taste did not kill ghosting left in the chimney.

It was however better than expected, so when funds allow to get some real pipe tobacco again, I shall try mixing some cigar into it, unless my cigarillos are gone before that.

Recommended!

donpumsey

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
I save the stubs of my cigars, and when the mood strikes me, break them apart to be mixed with black cavendish and smoked in a pipe. Call me disgusting but I like it. Occasionally anyway.

Reactions: mso489

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’ve never done it, but I’ve seen at least one person stick a short cigar end into their pipe to finish it off, and another guy at bingo likes to break down cigars and load his pipe with cigar kishkes because it’s cheaper than pipe tobacco. (37% wholesale tax on cigars and 95% on pipe tobacco up here in WA)

64alex

May 10, 2016
I sometime smoke the second half of the cigar in the pipe when the cigar is becoming hotter and harsher. Placing the cigar in the pipe cool down significantly the smoke bringing up the experience closer to the first half which I prefer.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I was watching a video on YouTube recently where a cigar smoker reviews a thing called a Pigar. It's a pipe especially made for smoking cigars. ]

Jobpipe is a producer/vendor of pipes for cigars (you can google them).
I never tried a pipe dedicated for cigars as I am able to adapt the cigars to one or the other of the pipes (the key is getting a good seal of the cigar on the bowl). I can say a cigar in a pipe is definitely cooling the smoke which improves the taste and harshness at the end of the cigar.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
[I was watching a video on YouTube recently where a cigar smoker reviews a thing called a Pigar. It's a pipe especially made for smoking cigars. ]

Jobpipe is a producer/vendor of pipes for cigars (you can google them).
I never tried a pipe dedicated for cigars as I am able to adapt the cigars to one or the other of the pipes (the key is getting a good seal of the cigar on the bowl). I can say a cigar in a pipe is definitely cooling the smoke which improves the taste and harshness at the end of the cigar.

I don't smoke cigars so wouldn't know. My dad does, and I looked at cigars as an option just before I got into pipes but the cost put me off.

I would like to try cigars as I think I'd like them but for the price of one decent cigar I can buy a whole tin of pipe tobacco that'll last me 20 times as long.

My financial situation prevents me from taking up cigar smoking as a hobby but as soon as I get round to winning The Lottery that'll all change?.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smudge', I like to say (probably too often) that cigars are like a restaurant meal, an experience designed by someone else, and pipe smoking is like a meal you cook yourself at home -- choosing a pipe, packing, tamping, lighting, maybe even mixing your own blend to suit yourself -- to me an all around more interesting experience, and twenty times as cost effective to boot.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Generally, speaking, cigars are too expensive here in the Eu except for Spain perhaps, as far as smoking cigars in a pipe, I have only seen this to be done with Toscano or /Tabac de Semois florets, and it is considered as a fully outdated, habit, practiced in rural areas if anywhere

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
There s always this...
Bk3O1iM.jpg

Reactions: lelik

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have an old Meer Cheroot smoker with an amber stem. It is oooold. Apparently the idea of smoking cigars and cheroots out of a pipelike device was a thing back when.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I read somewhere that the novelist William Faulkner was given an expensive cigar by his father. He broke off the end and put it in his pipe. It was the last cigar his father ever gave him, as the story goes.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I enjoy cutting a piece from a cigar, not a smoked stub that's a whole different experience, and sticking it on top of a bowl of my pipe tobacco. It makes a small bowl like a MM Legend last longer and is a nice way to parfait.

It's interesting how a cigar tastes different in a pipe. To me, it is a very similar taste but much, much stronger. (which, of course, would taste different)

Anyway, part of that different taste is the feel and taste of the cigar on the lips and part is the way the cherry burns.

An interesting experiment for y'all would be to...
1. Break up part of a cigar and smoke it in a pipe.
2. Smoke part of that same cigar by just sticking it in a pipe.
And
3. Finish that cigar as a cigar.

All three tastes are definitely different to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.