PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
My experience has been so so doing this. I saved some Hemingway Short Story nubs that were tolerable, other than that, nothing even close to enjoyable.

Reactions: SkiCrash13

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
I use to add Partagas when my homemade mixture result to light.Here in Italy we have cigars called "toscano" (the best for me in the world) that somebody smokes into a pipe and sometime i also do that

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Note: Don't visit the Pipoo site, and if you did recently do a virus scan. It may have infected my computer with malware. Also, don't go to google.no (the Norwegian Google) as that may have had something to do with it as well - it was probably from a banner ad placed on the site by google.no.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
My great grandfather was an Italian immigrant to the States and he didn't waste a thing...ever. He used to smoke Parodis till they were burning his fingers and then stick them on a tooth pick and smoke them till they were burning his lips and them stuff what was left in his pipe and finish it.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A lot of the old farmers up here in Wisconsin used to stuff a cigar in a cob and cut it off flush with a pocket knife. I think it was mainly because if was a convenient way to carry and load tobacco.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I knew an old WWI Vet that used to smoke a Rum Soaked Crook in an old no name briar.

He said his Momma gave it to him for being a good boy and stayin' in school.

I think he was 10 or 12 when he started smoking cigars in his pipe.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I've never done it or seen it. Although I see the logic in it. If its an expensive cigar you dont want to waste it. Hell even if it isn't expensive, why waste a good cigar? Personaly I rather have a nice set of Meerschaum cigar holders. Yes I said set. That way I have a holder for all sizes

markg

Lurker
Jan 30, 2016
I switched over time from cigar smoking to pipe smoking. I keep a big jar that I call my 'compost heap'. It's for tobaccos I try and don't enjoy. They get tossed in here and over time mellow, blend and become surprisingly smokeable. That was until I had the brilliant idea of chopping up my last two or three (cheap) cigars into the compost heap jar with my mixed pipe tobacco. Don't do it!
I find cigar tobacco really harsh and unpleasant to smoke in a pipe. It will also (not surprisingly) ghost the hell out of whatever pipe you use. I have a MM cob that I use just for smoking the contents of the jar and try and pick out any strands of cigar tobacco. Lesson learnt.

Ghost? As I get to the end of a really good deep dark maduro, I will sometimes drop just the butt into a pipe to finish it completely off. Yeh, most of the flavor of a cigar comes from the wrap touching your lips, but sometimes I get a flavor bomb going on so strong that I just cannot put the cigar out. I HAVE to finish it completely off. I've never noticed it ghosting a pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like to finish Maduros (only cigar type I smoke anymore) in a pipe, and never noticed a haunting afterwards either.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Like this?

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Legend has it that a Cuban revolutionary, while fighting in the field, wanted his troops to have a smoke available at the end of the day. He passed out cheap pipes and a cigar, so they could cut off a piece and have at least a moment of creature comfort at the end of the day.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
In the early 1900s, there was a pipe cut of tobacco that looked like a cigar butt that could simply be dropped into a pipe and lit. Actually surprised that no one is producing these now.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
People like to prepare their own tobacco now, embers. There used to be all kinds of "preloaded" tobaccos. That wouldn't fly today, every one has a bowl diameter preference, blend preference, etc. But, to the original point of a 7 year old post (ha), people have dropped their cigar into their pipe for a very long time. It's not some meer holder that the OP saw, it was a farmer dropping his cigar in a pipe to enjoy a cigar without holding it, most likely. I think they lose almost all of their flavor this way, but as Cosmic pointed out, sometimes it is great.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I never really enjoyed smoking cigars, but I can smoke them crumbled in the bowl of my pipe.

Usually I smoke the cigars mixed with pipe tobacco. I can smoke this way even old dry cigars gifted from friends who don't smoke and received them as present.

I don't smoke cigars the way shown tbradsim1, but it is not so unusual.

Here is a picture of the painter Ramon Casas (1866-1932)who was used to smoke this way
tuIJtk4.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure why I'd smoke a whole cigar in a pipe; I think I'd just smoke the cigar. Now when the cigar gets too short to handle, putting in a pipe is great. My dad used to do that, not often, but it wasn't rare either. Mostly he was either on a pipe, or in a cigar era. No cigars for me these days, with a wide array of pipes and blends on hand.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That wouldn't fly today, every one has a bowl diameter preference, blend preference, etc.
I guess I've been smoking for too many decades. A pipe is a pipe, and tobacco is tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Oh, I know. It would still be a fairly cool option to have, and a neat marketing gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.